Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 AM

25 posts, read 54,988 times

Advertisements

you cannot resist a superior force but you can mentally prepare and takes measure to guard your right. just dont wise off about your rights. that shows fear. justified but dont let them see you sweat. bring a witness to rehearse a search or hire one.
take a dozen flash photos a cheap olympus digital cam is 120 bucks or was. get a cheap small digital tape recorder. make sure your witness does not detect a stink you may have adjusted to and be ready to crack open your blinds or pull your curtains enough to allow sniffing but not peeping by a public or private party. if entry is physically forced with or without a warrant your stored cam photos and your hidden taped conversations plus your pre-search witness will trump any dirty tricks. remember that before law enforcement there were criminals and some criminals graduate to law enforcement and they are smart and tough.

guard your rights not by mouthing off which says youre scared but by saying little and doing much. you dont need a lawyer to learn how to play the game of cat and mouse. guilty or not you can be victimized if you dont play the game and show it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:08 AM

25 posts, read 54,988 times
Default need to know basis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie24 View Post
Why do you have this stuff in your place and you don't throw it out?
all you need to know is that its not for any illegal purpose and that rather than be hounded out of my home i will cooperate and address specific issues in the interior. btw the kitchen sink the washroom and the tub and toilet are totally sanitary and there are no fire hazard issues. the mgr will see photos and realize its not a mess so much as an unconventional but safe series of piles that can be reduced to a minimum. the issue came up because a maintenance worker ratted on me for not having furniture and putting things in drawers etc. i pat rent and im very quiet. many have been evicted for not paying rent or being criminals. i plan to negotiate.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
All you need to know is that if your landlord thinks you have too much crap in your unit and wants it gone, you have to remove it. You do not own the home, he does.

It's your opinion that your crap isn't a fire hazard, I'm sure the health dept, fire dept and ins agent would say otherwise.

good luck...you're going to need it.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:07 PM

38 posts, read 64,528 times
I live in a single person housing unit that has housing specifically for the mentally ill. I have experienced long term depression for years, but now I am stable. My apt. stays extremely clean, however, I have hobbies like jewelry making, Wire Work and making cabochons for flea markets. My closets are pretty darn packed. Just today, the administration came though the and opened ALL of my kitchen cabinets and closets. Also, they have an inspection of the property every 2 - 3 months. Drives the general population nuts because of the attitude of the individuals in charge of the apartments. It is very similar to being treated like children.
I am very interested about what individuals on the forum think about closets being reviewed and told they are a fire hazard. Then, we were told that HUD would be making "surprise" inspections on us.
Yes, my closets are extremely full, but they do not have flammable materials or any thing dangerous. Is what they are doing legal? I need to get my lease agreement out, but I have worked on HUD properties before and none of this was ever done to the residents.
I would like to hear your opinions. Sincerely, thanks!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:34 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest123 View Post
I live in a single person housing unit that has housing specifically for the mentally ill. I have experienced long term depression for years, but now I am stable. My apt. stays extremely clean, however, I have hobbies like jewelry making, Wire Work and making cabochons for flea markets. My closets are pretty darn packed. Just today, the administration came though the and opened ALL of my kitchen cabinets and closets. Also, they have an inspection of the property every 2 - 3 months. Drives the general population nuts because of the attitude of the individuals in charge of the apartments. It is very similar to being treated like children.
I am very interested about what individuals on the forum think about closets being reviewed and told they are a fire hazard. Then, we were told that HUD would be making "surprise" inspections on us.
Yes, my closets are extremely full, but they do not have flammable materials or any thing dangerous. Is what they are doing legal? I need to get my lease agreement out, but I have worked on HUD properties before and none of this was ever done to the residents.
I would like to hear your opinions. Sincerely, thanks!
It doesn't sound as though you're being singled out for inspections but that all the residents are subjected to them. Best you not take it personally and realize that it's to everyone's benefit that such inspections are made and are exercised purely for safety and habitability reasons. A necessary evil, it seems, as annoying as it is.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM

38 posts, read 64,528 times
Hey STT Resident,

Thanks for the quick input.

I do not feel singled out as the same thing is going on through out the complex. However I worked on rehabbing multi-family housing complexes that had fallen into disrepair and were becoming violent and crime ridden. I was in charge of writing the business plans for the loans via banks to support HUD to repair and recover distressed properties.

In non of the years that I was involved in the recovery of any HUD complexes did I see management go into apartments and go through the closets (except in the case of an infestation and the unit(s) needing to be bombed and baited. The big issue that I have is the management calling the closets a fire hazard because they are full. Yes, they are very full, but in a 450 sq/foot unit, I only have a small bedroom closet and a coat closet. Something just does not seem to jive with the laws I have been exposed to in the past. Also, I have lived in other apartments, and the oversight that I am experiencing is far from the norm.

The main issue I have is the invasive feeling I get from mgt recently (today) going into closets and kitchen pantries. I have nothing to hide, but I feel like they are being rather intrusive. Being that the apt is spotless, I do not see the reason for the request for cleaning out the closets due to "fire hazards." Any input?

Last edited by Harvest123; 11-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: bad wording

Old 11-22-2013, 01:50 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
I rented a 500 sq ft apartment for 3 years. It was messy given all the crap i bought and owned. Building maintainance only came in to do work. No one ever told me it was unacceptable.

What wasn't mentioned by others is whenever you do move out of there, it needs to be either in the same condition as it was when you moved in, or whatever is called for in the lease. Else, pony up the $$ so the LL can return it to rentable condition. What was mentioned were health hazards, code violations, and perhaps rules specific to that building or dwelling.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvest123 View Post

The main issue I have is the invasive feeling I get from mgt recently (today) going into closets and kitchen pantries. I have nothing to hide, but I feel like they are being rather intrusive. Being that the apt is spotless, I do not see the reason for the request for cleaning out the closets due to "fire hazards." Any input?
Sorry but, legally your, "feelings" aren't relevant here. You're in a special living situation where special conditions exist and safeguards are in place for the benefit of all the residents. As long as you're a resident of that community you have to abide by their rules - which are there as much for your benefit as anyone else's. Hopefully there'll soon come a time when you can live more independently in a place where regular landlord tenant laws prevail and you have more autonomy. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2013, 03:16 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
Are they in containers. Neatly stacked? IF not they just tossed in & clutter looking then Yes its a hazzard!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:02 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Are they in containers. Neatly stacked? IF not they just tossed in & clutter looking then Yes its a hazzard!
Even containers stacked neatly floor to ceiling are a hazard. Clutter is clutter; doesn't matter if it's neatly stacked, boxed, labeled and organized by color, size or brand or thrown haphazardly about the place. It's not how it's stored..it's HOW MUCH is stored.

As a tenant, you do not have a right to fill your unit from stem to stern with crap ( be it garbage or brand new items you can't live without) And in some cases (watch Hoarders on TV once or twice) homeowners dont' have that right either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting