Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 AM

15 posts, read 16,040 times

Advertisements

When I was recently checking out online the application for an apartment building, it required information regarding all of my savings accounts. I appreciate requesting checking information as that is how I would pay for the apartment or credit information thanks to the inevitable credit background check. But, savings? Isn't that a bit intrusive? If my credit and salary both qualify, why would a landlord also need to know everything I have saved?

Am I overreacting or is this standard? I have honestly never heard of anyone potential renter being asked this. Appreciate any insights you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 09:17 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,916,530 times
This is one of the reasons why the life of the renter is not so wonderful.

I do not see any obligation to report everything, just enough to show adequate financial resources.

Yes, I would find this intrusive.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Simply answer "yes" and move-on.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
While I agree that it's intrusive, they have an apartment for rent, and if you want one, you have to play by their rules. If you don't feel like giving them your savings account information you don't have to, someone else will. It just limits your choices by one.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:27 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,871 times
I've never heard of that on any rentals

Old 07-29-2019, 11:31 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Out here, some landlords are starting to require reserves so that if you lose your job, then know you can still make the rent payments for a certain period of time until you can secure a new job.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:51 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While I agree that it's intrusive, they have an apartment for rent, and if you want one, you have to play by their rules. If you don't feel like giving them your savings account information you don't have to, someone else will. It just limits your choices by one.
Yes an ill informed renter would blindly think you were right in saying the landlord makes the rules.

An informed person would know certain inquiries on an application violate housing laws and state laws.

The "business" of renting isn't to overstep renters rights in applying or denying.

The landlord is not the credit bureau . So some information is not for the taking simply because "they" think they can.

What happens to a trust baby who never worked a day. Yet gets regular monthly funds. All the landlord needs to know is the check won't bounce and the person adheres to the valid /legal lease terms.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:02 PM

403 posts, read 272,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerQ View Post
When I was recently checking out online the application for an apartment building, it required information regarding all of my savings accounts. I appreciate requesting checking information as that is how I would pay for the apartment or credit information thanks to the inevitable credit background check. But, savings? Isn't that a bit intrusive? If my credit and salary both qualify, why would a landlord also need to know everything I have saved?

Am I overreacting or is this standard? I have honestly never heard of anyone potential renter being asked this. Appreciate any insights you may have!
It's likely a really old application form. I remember those from the 80's and 90's, before automated credit reports were readily available. I'd just leave it blank and move on, unless they were looking to that as a source of income.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerQ View Post

This is NOT standard.

Go to a large, well-known property management website (like Greystar or Morguard) and look at their application.

What this sounds like is the landlord being overly personal, nosy, and judgmental. Aside from passing background, credit, and providing a move-in sum of deposit and rent, getting inside your prospective tenant's bank accounts smacks of unfounded suspicion and distrust.

This is the start of a very awkward and henpecked relationship with this landlord. Do not walk, RUN, and find something else.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yes an ill informed renter would blindly think you were right in saying the landlord makes the rules.

An informed person would know certain inquiries on an application violate housing laws and state laws.

The "business" of renting isn't to overstep renters rights in applying or denying.

The landlord is not the credit bureau . So some information is not for the taking simply because "they" think they can.

What happens to a trust baby who never worked a day. Yet gets regular monthly funds. All the landlord needs to know is the check won't bounce and the person adheres to the valid /legal lease terms.
But in the end, if the renter needs the place, they'll follow the rules. Especially these days, with "affordable" rent getting harder and harder to find. Sometimes you know they shouldn't be telling you to jump through hoops, but you either do it, or you don't have a place, even though you wish telling them off was an option. (And if what they're asking is sketchy but not illegal, there's nothing you can do about it, anyway. At most you can decline to apply there, but that doesn't stop them from requiring the information from other people who maybe can't afford to not give them what they ask for.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting