Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 04:44 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Too bad they don’t have a decent home warranty company as the AC would be completely replaced at a nominal cost.
hahaha. Name the home warranty company that will replace the whole ac.

and don't say American Home Shield.

home warranties don't just give away free replacements for the pennies you pay.

Their job is to deny you and find ways not to cover repairs and replacements.

They'll fix a part, but will not replace the whole system for as long as possible.

Just ask the hvac contractors who work with home warranty companies.

When I had a home warranty, my yearly premium was around $500. For that kind of money, do you think they would give me a $6000 a/c system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 10:51 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
hell f'in yes.

I once had a home warranty company send out a dude to repair a leaking dishwasher.
The supply line hose came off and needed a hose clamp to secure.

The first tech reported to American Home Shield that rats chewed my water lines.
What a ****** liar.

Since then, I have dropped home warranties, and have enjoyed the hundreds of dollars in savings per year, and if I ever need to replace an appliance, I know I have the money to do so without messing with home warranty red tape.

idiots

As for A/C, I have a rental that has a 35-40 year old unit, and still running and cools the house. It's not as efficient as the new 14 SEER units these days, but it still cools.

Just because a unit is 20 years old doesn't mean it automatically needs to be replaced.

My primary residence has a Carrier unit that was installed in 1992.
The reason it cools like crap is that the whole ducting system was designed like crap by a chitty hvac contractor. That's why my house won't cool below 80F.

Also, when did 82F make a house uninhabitable?
Is your rental located in Phoenix, AZ? If not, then it doesn't really matter, because here in Phoenix, the heat is brutal and non stop. Weeks on end of 110+ temps and months on end of 100 temps. It beats the cr** out of a/c units.

I never said that the house was uninhabitable at 82 degrees. Fact is, if the a/c was struggling for years to maintain a constant temp of 78, but all of a sudden has trouble keeping 80, it's a sign that there is something wrong with the unit. Also, here in AZ, a/c units have a lifespan of 12-15 years.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I price my rental below market rate to compensate for the electric bills.

You're probably still coming out ahead. How do you know your electric bill won't be $250+ in another rental?
There's no way to tell until you've lived in a place for a while.
Yeah, that's kinda the conclusion I see too. Hell, the winters are great! My electric bill is like $60 per month.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
Too bad they don’t have a decent home warranty company as the AC would be completely replaced at a nominal cost.
Yeah this Home Warranty company my property manager uses is garbage. We wait far too long for repairs because of them.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
hahaha. Name the home warranty company that will replace the whole ac.

and don't say American Home Shield.

home warranties don't just give away free replacements for the pennies you pay.

Their job is to deny you and find ways not to cover repairs and replacements.

They'll fix a part, but will not replace the whole system for as long as possible.

Just ask the hvac contractors who work with home warranty companies.

When I had a home warranty, my yearly premium was around $500. For that kind of money, do you think they would give me a $6000 a/c system?
Heck, the company my property manager uses won't even cover cleaning, which is preventive maintenance.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:58 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
You must be paying quite a bit for rent, then the high elec bills. Probably other costs with your rental also. Then the burden of dealing with people, to fix this and that knowing they will raise the rent.

I think I'd get the hell out of there. If it's just you I'd see about buying a small Condo or something. Anything you qualify for, so you don't have to live like that. Plus you would have a set monthly payment, and no threat of rent increases. Owning something you control problems like this a.c. and then the owner lives in Australia. This is a bad situation. Arizona is no place to be in the summer with faulty air conditioners.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
You must be paying quite a bit for rent, then the high elec bills. Probably other costs with your rental also. Then the burden of dealing with people, to fix this and that knowing they will raise the rent.

I think I'd get the hell out of there. If it's just you I'd see about buying a small Condo or something. Anything you qualify for, so you don't have to live like that. Plus you would have a set monthly payment, and no threat of rent increases. Owning something you control problems like this a.c. and then the owner lives in Australia. This is a bad situation. Arizona is no place to be in the summer with faulty air conditioners.
Very true. Actually, my rent is comparably cheaper than the rest of the market. However, if you factor in how much we are paying in electricity, it evens out. I plan on buying, but unforce able life events happened. Set me back in one aspect.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:14 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Very true. Actually, my rent is comparably cheaper than the rest of the market. However, if you factor in how much we are paying in electricity, it evens out. I plan on buying, but unforce able life events happened. Set me back in one aspect.
Yes setbacks do happen. We all seem to get them st some point. You just keep trying, that's all you can do.

I read somewhere recently that Phoenix is definitely getting hotter, and staying hotter longer. It can no longer really get below 90 at night in the hot months. That the a.c. units actually contribute to the heat island effect. AC works longer and harder puts hot air into the outside air. Phoenix better learn fast how to deal with methods, to curb that Heat island Effect. Or something will eventually give.

Good luck with everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting