Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,011 times

Advertisements

I am the landlord. The property is in Warren County. It’s a non-ULTRA controlled area. I rented to a couple who hasn’t paid rent in 3 months. They are just now getting their stuff. I have given the “pay or quit” notice
And got her to agree via text to have her stuff out by certain date. She then asked that if she paid me $100 could she have an extra day so I wrote out an agreement and she signed it stating that she agrees to be out and any property left there after 5 pm on a certain date is abandoned and she will release all rights to whatever is left. And that she will leave the place clean and free of debris and now after the $100 is paid her rent balance is xxx-$100.00 =xxx dollars for 3 months rent. She has been getting her stuff and the then sends me a text saying she has been broke down and she is coming to clean and get the rest of her stuff which is pictures and clothes. There hasn’t been any electricity or water on in 2 months. Can I legally set her stuff to the curb ? I let her get so far behind because her mom was supposed to get a settlement and catch it all up.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 02:32 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
NOPE! You gave her another contract. So now you have to wait till she is late again by xxx time. Even After you can Legally Evict her you are Still Stuck with storing her things for a certain amount of time. In Virginia that 10 Days. In West Virginia its 30 Days. So check the laws in your State.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:14 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myhdsport View Post
I rented to a couple who hasn’t paid rent in 3 months. They are just now getting their stuff. I have given the “pay or quit” notice

You have no business being a landlord. You let non-payment slide for 3 months and now make a cockamamie agreement for $100.

You're never going to see any of that 3 months rent from those tenants not matter what they signed.

Even if your county didn't adopt the Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act you could still have adopted all the rights and obligations in your lease. You do have a lease contract with those people, don't you?

When you get out from under this either sell the property or learn to treat tenants with a heart of stone.

Otherwise you are destined to lose thousands of dollars every time.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:17 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,828 times
FYI For next time. Renters do not need to know that you own the property. Tell them you are the property manager. Which you are technically. Since you seem to be a softie this will make it easier for you to set rules and follow up on them. "Im sorry but I have to follow the rules"

Old 10-14-2019, 07:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
You need to get a lawyer to run the eviction for you. Pay the lawyer to do it right. The money that she owes you is gone - and you'll never see a penny from her. Forget that. Just pay the lawyer so that you can legally recover your property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting