Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,707 times

Advertisements

All,

I am dealing with rental property to get housing for my son in Richmond for college. I have a signed lease (my son and I as guarantor) for a 2-bedroom, single occupancy apartment for $449/month. My son (18) may have signed a different lease for the same property at $899/month a few weeks before but this lease was never sent to me. The property manager is claiming there are two leases (even though they don't reference each other) for the same location and are somehow additive (899+449=$1348/month). Can someone have two leases for the same property (other than cost, the leases are identical) and add them together?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 12:52 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofCollegeKid View Post
All,

I am dealing with rental property to get housing for my son in Richmond for college. I have a signed lease (my son and I as guarantor) for a 2-bedroom, single occupancy apartment for $449/month. My son (18) may have signed a different lease for the same property at $899/month a few weeks before but this lease was never sent to me. The property manager is claiming there are two leases (even though they don't reference each other) for the same location and are somehow additive (899+449=$1348/month). Can someone have two leases for the same property (other than cost, the leases are identical) and add them together?

Thanks!

Did your son signed the lease? Ask him

Old 08-08-2019, 12:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
The property manager is claiming there are two leases (even though they don't reference each other)
for the same location and are somehow additive (899+449=$1348/month).
Take this hint as a warning of things to come and find a better LL.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
All,

Thanks!
It’s illegal to have two leases on the same apartment from the same people unless you’re each renting a bedroom separately with a disclosure that you each have your own lease.
Are you a applicant or strictly a guarantor? If the LL is ok with your son renting and accepts his application without a guarantor he’s basically got a lease.
Normally the LL can’t have two exact leases with different amounts for the same people. It’s called double dipping

Old 08-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s illegal to have two leases on the same apartment from the same people unless you’re each renting a bedroom separately with a disclosure that you each have your own lease.
Are you a applicant or strictly a guarantor? If the LL is ok with your son renting and accepts his application without a guarantor he’s basically got a lease.
Normally the LL can’t have two exact leases with different amounts for the same people. It’s called double dipping

It might no be double dipping and double dipping is not always illegal although it can be called acceleration of rent but this is not the case here. It's possible that landlord told the son that mistake was made in first lease and that rent should been higher and he agree to sign a second lease. OP first needs to find out if another lease been signed by the son or not. If he did sign it, she needs to get copy of the lease. Remember he is an adult,so he legally can sign a lease on his own.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
It might no be double dipping and double dipping is not always illegal although it can be called acceleration of rent but this is not the case here. It's possible that landlord told the son that mistake was made in first lease and that rent should been higher and he agree to sign a second lease. OP first needs to find out if another lease been signed by the son or not. If he did sign it, she needs to get copy of the lease. Remember he is an adult,so he legally can sign a lease on his own.
I understand the child is a adult. But having two identical leases for identical tenants/guarantor with different prices isn’t legal. I mean ok you have two leases. Which do you enforce. As a tenant I say the primary lease is the lowest rent amount. Or do we go by which was signed first. Or does the newer lease now override the old lease? What if o didn’t agree to end the initial lower price lease? Etc etc

Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I understand the child is a adult. But having two identical leases for identical tenants/guarantor with different prices isn’t legal. I mean ok you have two leases. Which do you enforce. As a tenant I say the primary lease is the lowest rent amount. Or do we go by which was signed first. Or does the newer lease now override the old lease? What if o didn’t agree to end the initial lower price lease? Etc etc

It can be addendum to the first lease. It's nearly impossible to say without knowing more details

Old 08-08-2019, 02:32 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Two bedroom college rental, it might be rented by the room and the son wanted to be the only tenant for the entire apartment so he rented each bedroom.

Mr first time poster will have to give some clarification because his post doesn't make any sense.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:33 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Sounds to me your son was planning on renting a room. Perhaps something happened to the other roommate. NOW he wants to rent the Whole Apt... & needed a Co-signer...YOU! Before you sign Ask yourself Can Son Afford this? Are You willing to pay his rent?

As for the LL Adding the 2 leases together could be a honest mistake Talk to LL Before you sign. Make sure the Lower costing one is VOID.

I got charged once for 2 apts. We moved mid lease from 1 bedroom to 2 bedroom. I got Billed for both the 1st month. They forgot to tell the computer LOL & they already moved another coupe into the 1 bedroom.

What about the Deposit? Did he pay 1/2 when he moved into the place? Could be the added cost of the other half of Security Deposit. Check this out & Make sure What ever is going on is in Writing!

Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,707 times
Thanks All - I have had more dialog with the LL and their story is not consistent. The Apt is a 2-bedroom, but they claim they usually put two people in each bedroom but they weren't going to here (because my son and his friend didn't want other roommates?) so they said they came up with the plan to give them 2 leases for the same room. But the leases say they are Single Occupancy. The problem is that they made a mistake and the first lease is for $849 and second is $449.

I agree with Electrician4you's point: "I mean ok you have two leases. Which do you enforce. As a tenant I say the primary lease is the lowest rent amount. Or do we go by which was signed first. Or does the newer lease now override the old lease? What if o didn’t agree to end the initial lower price lease? Etc etc".

That is why I am arguing with them the second lease, which I signed as guarantor, is the newest and therefore primary lease. Also because that lease states he is getting a Single Occupancy 2 Bedroom 2 Bath apartment. It seems that with the idea of "double dipping" I could take the first lease somewhere (court?) and show that contractually they owe him an apartment at the cost because we have a signed lease saying they will provide that.

Other questions: I say he "may have signed a lease" because they claim he did and he doesn't recall. The signature seems electronic and it is a scan of printout. Seems shady.

I am strictly the guarantor but I am paying the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting