Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 09:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viji_Mort01 View Post
I am not sure, whether I did cause the mold.
You know the anecdote about zebras vs horses?
Quote:
They say that, I switched A/C On/Off very frequently, which is total false.
Total? Nope... Which is just your impression vs theirs.
Quote:
That's the reason I am asking them to share the inspection report...
Look at your electric bills for KwH usage vs similar units or that same one vs other years (ask neighbors).
Find some objective measure that can demonstrate you used as much AC as anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 12:19 PM

10 posts, read 3,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You know the anecdote about zebras vs horses?
Total? Nope... Which is just your impression vs theirs.
Look at your electric bills for KwH usage vs similar units or that same one vs other years (ask neighbors).
Find some objective measure that can demonstrate you used as much AC as anyone else.

Yes! I already checked this. I have switched off the A/C twice in whole 4 months. This was done since, my new born daughter had cold. Our current apartment is in first floor and its two bed capacity. Earlier in the same community, we lived in single bed apartment in second floor. We had absolutely no issues, when we stayed in that apartment. We used this apartment, the same way the previous apartment.
My gut feeling says that, the inspection report contains the root cause of the problem, which is not caused by me and that's why they are reluctant to share the report. What do you thin?

BTW, I appreciate your help in finding solution for my problem.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viji_Mort01 View Post
My gut feeling says that, the inspection report contains the root cause of the problem, which is not caused by me and that's why they are reluctant to share the report. What do you thin?
From what you've told us, I'm inclined to agree with you. Why else would they refuse?
If it goes to court, I bet the judge would require them to produce it.
You might 'remind' them of that.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
From what you've told us, I'm inclined to agree with you. Why else would they refuse?
If it goes to court, I bet the judge would require them to produce it.
You might 'remind' them of that.

Right now I am communicating everything via email. For the last four months, they are adding additional $1200(which is mold remediation fee, as they confirmed orally) to my rental invoice which they send to my apartment. They have just added the number without any explanation. They kind of cooked the monthly invoice just to make sure, they have this charge until end of the lease. So I am communicating via email and asking them the explanation of unknown charges they have put in monthly rental invoice. I am waiting for their reply. I will keep you posted on the progress I make.
I really appreciate your help in this regard!

Have a great day..

Old 08-13-2019, 08:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, I didn't read the whole thing of why you want not to pay rent, but I can tell you that every rental contract I've ever seen VERY SPECIFICALLY disallows not paying rent as a remedy for grievances between you and the landlord. In other words, if you don't pay rent because you're unhappy with something, it is treated as not paying your rent no matter what the nature of the dispute. If the terms of your contract say this, then you had better pay your rent, or you will be dinged for not paying your rent.

It continually amazes me how many people will sign a contract, a legally binding document, and then think they can just change the terms of it because they want to.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I didn't read the whole thing of why you want not to pay rent, but I can tell you that every rental contract I've ever seen VERY SPECIFICALLY disallows not paying rent as a remedy for grievances between you and the landlord. In other words, if you don't pay rent because you're unhappy with something, it is treated as not paying your rent no matter what the nature of the dispute. If the terms of your contract say this, then you had better pay your rent, or you will be dinged for not paying your rent.

It continually amazes me how many people will sign a contract, a legally binding document, and then think they can just change the terms of it because they want to.

I agree with you on why we have to pay the rent without miss and the contract we enter into while renting the apartment. I got the idea of not paying the rent, just because, they have my deposit amount with them with which they can withhold, at the end of the lease term for the recovery of mold remediation fee from me. My plan was not paying the rent, so that even if they withhold my deposit amount, I don't have to bother because I haven't paid the last month rent. It seems like not a good idea now.

What do you think of an alternative in this situation.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting