Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 10,058 times

Advertisements

I’m a tenant and pay rent every month. This lady I’ve known around the neighborhood had to leave her place because her landlord had to let his place go because of bad health. She has a small quiet dog too. I helped her move her belongings to my home until she got into another place. She was only supposed to stay for a few days. She has found a place to stay but claims the person she supposed to stay with is in Florida. A month past and she says the lady is still in Florida smh. During that month she has been nothing but hell. She is a mental case (which I didn’t know until she lived with me). She accuses me and my neighbors of “hacking” in her phone, recording her conversations, stealing her phone and other items, and other things. She calls the police every week on something dumb. When I’m at work, she screams and talks loudly disturbing my neighbors. Every time someone comes by for any of my neighbors she goes outside to be nosey. She writes license plates numbers down so she can report it to the police. She’s even got jumped on by my neighbor because she disrespected her mother for no reason. It’s gotten to a point that my neighbors called the landlord on her. Now they know she and the dog is there. They told them to call the police. They come by but don’t do anything. The landlord haven’t contacted me about her or anything. I even called the police to see how can I get her out my place so I can peace and quiet again. They tell me to go to the justice of the peace and get an eviction notice done. The question is do I go to the landlord to get her out since they already know she’s there or go to the justice of the peace? I need desperate help now. I’ve told her several times to leave but don’t want to because she’s gotten comfortable in my apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 07:41 AM

1,546 posts, read 3,003,302 times
Easily the most legit post of the year.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:00 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,199,017 times
if she's not paying rent, cant the cops just arrest her for trespassing?

Old 08-28-2019, 08:55 AM

15,241 posts, read 35,446,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
Having had a friend go through a somewhat similar situation - once a person has established 'residency', then the police can not do anything without an eviction order. Residency is basically just having some of your 'stuff' there. The OP must initiate eviction proceedings as soon as possible.

The landlord, of course, can still enforce their contract with the OP. If the contract has fines for having pets, then those can accrue. It is possible that the landlord could proceed with their own eviction process for the OP if the situation is creating enough of a nuisance for them to pursue it....

Old 09-01-2019, 09:54 AM

68 posts, read 50,565 times
I have a neighbor, a nice older gentleman with dog, quiet and respectful, whom had made numerous improvements to outward appearance of neighborhood home he had leased.

Then he allowed his son & daughter-in-law with baby to move-in "temporarily" while they found another job/home and got on their feet. The children have at least 2-3 domestic disturbances weekly, usually after the neighbor has left for work on weekdays. He has apologized to neighbors and suggested we notify law enforcement of any disturbances. He told me recently he is at "wit's end" and, although he loves the grandchild, he cannot take it any longer and wants them gone. Local law enforcement instructed that, although he is lease holder, he has no recourse if they refuse to leave when asked and he must go through a formal eviction process, which may take another 30-60 days.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:19 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,183,986 times
My son rented a room to a “friend” who turned out to be a terrible slob & slacker paying his rent.

While the guy was at work my son packed up his stuff, took it to the dude’s car and dumped it, then texted him it was there. Problem solved.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:26 AM

15,241 posts, read 35,446,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
My son rented a room to a “friend” who turned out to be a terrible slob & slacker paying his rent.

While the guy was at work my son packed up his stuff, took it to the dude’s car and dumped it, then texted him it was there. Problem solved.
And then you gotta change the locks, too, though .

Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM

7,105 posts, read 11,752,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
He's lucky - the tenant could have taken him to court for an illegal eviction, and he would have won.

OP - go do your own eviction. If you wait for your landlord to do it, YOU could be held liable for the costs involved. Just go to the JP Court and they'll tell you what you need to do - but do it ASAP. Have copies of any police reports - and if you can get some neighbors to show up with you, all the better - you might be able to convince the judge that it's an emergency situation.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 PM

12 posts, read 10,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
She is giving me money every month. The police can’t do anything unless I go to the justice of the peace and get a formal eviction notice from the courts. If she still refuse to leave then they can arrest her for trespassing.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,809,719 times
Since she pays rent, she is a tenant...not a tresspasser and you are her landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: