Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times

Advertisements

I've only been renting for about a month so I'm not all that familiar with all the dos and don'ts of the tenant/landlord relationship.

Basically, the air quality in my apartment is really bad. I noticed it after my first night in the apartment. It smells bad all the time and the air always feels musty even though I keep the apartment clean. I'm not having trouble breathing to the point where it's dangerous, but my breathing definitely doesn't feel right, and my throat feels scratchy and my eyes get red and itchy. I'm having trouble sleeping through the night and focusing on schoolwork during the day.

It definitely seems to be an apartment thing because I'm fine everywhere else. I discovered mold all over the gasket at the bottom of the door of my fridge, but even after cleaning it my breathing isn't right, so I'm not sure if that was the problem. There could still be mold spores in the air affecting me if that was the cause of my problem. Opening the windows doesn't help at all (and only lets bugs in because the screens don't sit properly into the frames). I'm wondering if it's appropriate to ask the landlord for an air purifier to see if it helps, or if that's an expense I should cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 10:36 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Yours to buy. But you should ask the LL to have it investigated.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:21 PM

178 posts, read 147,553 times
You certainly can ask, but whether or not your landlord agrees is an open question.

Even if the LL says no, you should get your own air purifier. You are talking about an expenditure of maybe two or three hundred dollars (on the very high end) vs your health. You should think about a water filter as well. If the air filter works to your satisfaction, you don’t have to move. If you do decide to move you still have the air purifier.

Good luck in any event.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaunderful View Post
Basically, the air quality in my apartment is really bad.
How low is the rent compared to apartments with good air quality?

Old 09-09-2019, 02:53 AM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
I've only been renting for about a month so I'm not all that familiar with all the dos and don'ts of the tenant/landlord relationship.

Basically, the air quality in my apartment is really bad. I noticed it after my first night in the apartment. It smells bad all the time and the air always feels musty even though I keep the apartment clean. I'm not having trouble breathing to the point where it's dangerous, but my breathing definitely doesn't feel right, and my throat feels scratchy and my eyes get red and itchy. I'm having trouble sleeping through the night and focusing on schoolwork during the day.

It definitely seems to be an apartment thing because I'm fine everywhere else. I discovered mold all over the gasket at the bottom of the door of my fridge, but even after cleaning it my breathing isn't right, so I'm not sure if that was the problem. There could still be mold spores in the air affecting me if that was the cause of my problem. Opening the windows doesn't help at all (and only lets bugs in because the screens don't sit properly into the frames). I'm wondering if it's appropriate to ask the landlord for an air purifier to see if it helps, or if that's an expense I should cover.
FWIW, mold on the fridge gasket isn't from the apartment air, its from a combination of the moisture inside the fridge meeting the relatively warm air outside the fridge. It has nothing to do with any mold present in the room.

If there is mold in the apartment you are more likely to see mildew in closets, mildew forming on clothing, in corners, places that don't get good air circulation. You can pick up mold test kits at hardware stores. If you find mold, show the tests to your LL. Also test the humidity level in the apartment with a simple hygrometer from a hardware store. Try measuring it in different rooms. Lower air humidity, less chance the problem is mold.

I'd be very surprised if the LL will buy you a air purifier. They might offer to do mold testing. Try an air cleaner in your bedroom and keep the door shut. It might make enough difference while you sleep, but if you don't keep more contaminants from getting into the room the filter probably can't keep up with it.

As for bugs getting through screens, run some wide sticky painter's tape around the outside of the screen frames to keep the bugs from getting through.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-09-2019 at 03:03 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 06:37 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
If it's a ground floor apartment, the musty air could be from moisture. I lived in a lower level apartment and it smelled musty. I used damprid in the closets and it took care of the problem. Yes, it was a cost on my part but worth it to me, especially since the lower level was much cheaper.

I just put in musty smell into my search engine and there's a website called Mrs. Clean which has great ideas. I've never heard of zeolite but she praised that. What doesn't surprise me is the recommendation to use vinegar to clean. I use vinegar a lot. It's safe, environment friendly and effective.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:

Do you have pet hair/dander allergies? Your reaction sounds like a mild allergic reaction. Possibly the previous tenant had pets (maybe authorized, maybe not).

If you have pet allergies, you could talk to the LL about how you're feeling. Ask if there were pets in the apartment previously, and ask if the carpet could be shampooed. If they won't shampoo it for you, rent a shampooer and shampoo it yourself. If that doesn't work, then consider an air purifier.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:51 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's very doubtful that your landlord will buy you an air purifier. You can ask, but don't get your hopes up.

Instead, buy your own air purfier, but first, go over the house completely and deep clean every inch with products that you know don't cause you issues. You might be reacting to the cleaning products or carpet cleaners that were used before you moved in. Be sure to scrub everything in the bathroom, including around the toilet base. When you clean the shower and other porcelain, use a bleach based cleaner.

Change the air filter for the furnace.

If that doesn't help, then buy your own air purifier.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:59 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Yes, you can ask. But don’t expect them to do it. If you want an air purifier, go buy one.

I agree with the others, deep clean your unit and change your filters. If your still having issues, break your lease and move.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
You can ask for anything you want but I doubt they will oblige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting