Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 09:37 PM

423 posts, read 458,245 times

Advertisements

A 12-month lease on the apartment would be $715/month and a 15-month lease would be $685/month for the same exact thing.

I told the leasing agent that I'm active duty military and she did tell me I can end my lease as long as I had my orders. Then asked if I wanted 12 or 15 if I were to end up leasing.

Would there be anything wrong with signing the 15 month for the lower rent and moving out in 9 months? Cause either way I'd have to end the lease when my contract is up(9 months), wether its 12 or 15 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 11:04 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
If you get orders to pcs or go tdy more than 50 miles, for 90 mays or more (i think thats the time required...google military clause) then you can terminate lease with 30 days notice. You are responsible for the full months rent following the end of 30 days.
If you are separating from the military and know your ets, then it may disqualify you under military clause. If thats the case, i would let them know up front.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
What do you mean you'd have to end the rental leas anyway when your "contract is up" in 9 months?

In CA anyway, you can only get out of a lease if you have been given military orders to move somewhere else. So, if your military service will be over in 9 months, you can't get out of your lease based on military orders past that point.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of landlords will try to rip you off for your deposit knowing that it will be really hard for you to sue them after you move far away.

If you feel really sure you'll just be ripped off, then I wouldn't worry about leaving the place clean, for instance.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:25 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post

I told the leasing agent that I'm active duty military and she did tell me I can end my lease as long as I had my orders

"I was told" is the most dangerous phrase in the English language. Second place goes to "It was my understanding." Tied for second place "I trusted."

Get that agreement written into your lease.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:43 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
........ I'd have to end the lease when my contract is up(9 months),......

Military members can cancel a lease without penalty only when it is a duty station transfer. That does not apply when the term of duty is over and you go back to civilian life. In order to qualify for the free lease termination, you are required to provide the landlord with a copy of your orders that are moving you to the new duty station.

Quote:
......Also, keep in mind that a lot of landlords will try to rip you off for your deposit knowing that it will be really hard for you to sue them after you move far away. If you feel really sure you'll just be ripped off, then I wouldn't worry about leaving the place clean, for instance.......

Leaving the apartment dirty or damaged is a very sure way to guarantee that you won't get all of your deposit back. Professional cleaning is very expensive and you will be charged for it. There is no way to be "really sure" that your landlord has no intention of returning your deposit, but you can fix it so that you are guaranteed that you won't get your deposit back.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
A 12-month lease on the apartment would be $715/month and a 15-month lease would be $685/month for the same exact thing.

I told the leasing agent that I'm active duty military and she did tell me I can end my lease as long as I had my orders. Then asked if I wanted 12 or 15 if I were to end up leasing.

Would there be anything wrong with signing the 15 month for the lower rent and moving out in 9 months? Cause either way I'd have to end the lease when my contract is up(9 months), wether its 12 or 15 months.
Contract is up....meaning you’re leaving the military branch (EAOS) or simply PCS elsewhere? If you’re PCS then by all means sign a longer lease for lower price, but if you’re ending service you will most likely be having issues as that won’t apply to terminate a lease in the manner you think.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 PM

289 posts, read 224,649 times
Quote:

Call me old fashioned but there is that whole “personal integrity” thing to take into consideration. In short supply in the US as everyone is looking for angle to get ahead and they want to force the expense onto another party. Signing a 15 month lease when you know you will be terminating in nine months may be possible but is your personal integrity worth it. Why not just be upfront instead of being dishonest?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Military members can cancel a lease without penalty only when it is a duty station transfer. That does not apply when the term of duty is over and you go back to civilian life. In order to qualify for the free lease termination, you are required to provide the landlord with a copy of your orders that are moving you to the new duty station.

Leaving the apartment dirty or damaged is a very sure way to guarantee that you won't get all of your deposit back. Professional cleaning is very expensive and you will be charged for it. There is no way to be "really sure" that your landlord has no intention of returning your deposit, but you can fix it so that you are guaranteed that you won't get your deposit back.
Odds are very heavily against a tenant getting their full deposit back. So, why kill yourself cleaning an apartment, then moving far away where it wouldn't be feasible to travel back to sue, and then have a bunch of deductions against the deposit anyway? I believe they might as well just assume they won't get the full deposit back, and make the decision to at least feel they got some value out of the deductions from their deposit by letting the landlord clean it after they leave.

Nobody likes to feel ripped off. This way, they can feel like they took some control over getting value in return.

If you're the kind of landlord who does return full deposits and a tenant doesn't believe you will, so they leave the place dirty and you make the deductions - it doesn't affect you either way, as long as there is enough deposit to cover the cleaning.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokaneinvestor View Post
Call me old fashioned but there is that whole “personal integrity” thing to take into consideration. In short supply in the US as everyone is looking for angle to get ahead and they want to force the expense onto another party. Signing a 15 month lease when you know you will be terminating in nine months may be possible but is your personal integrity worth it. Why not just be upfront instead of being dishonest?
There is probably a clause in the lease that says if they terminate early, they will owe the difference.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Odds are very heavily against a tenant getting their full deposit back. So, why kill yourself cleaning an apartment, then moving far away where it wouldn't be feasible to travel back to sue, and then have a bunch of deductions against the deposit anyway? I believe they might as well just assume they won't get the full deposit back, and make the decision to at least feel they got some value out of the deductions from their deposit by letting the landlord clean it after they leave.

Nobody likes to feel ripped off. This way, they can feel like they took some control over getting value in return.

If you're the kind of landlord who does return full deposits and a tenant doesn't believe you will, so they leave the place dirty and you make the deductions - it doesn't affect you either way, as long as there is enough deposit to cover the cleaning.
That’s really bad advice. Sorry Snow. You usually give pretty good solid stuff but this is really not your style imo. You’re leaving yourself wide open for additional charges because everything can be made to look worse and cost more.
I dont think you’re getting any “value” out of doing as you suggested. All you’re gonna get is loss of money and absolutely no chance to argue your side in court and a bad reference if the new LL calls the old LL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting