Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand123 View Post
What do you mean by easing up on otherwise solid long-term tenants?
A seven year tenancy and the only apparent problem is a bit of wall repair.
Repairs that have NO REASON to add appreciably beyond the painting bill you have anyway.
99% of landlords DREAM for this sort of experience.

You continue to, or seem to, believe there is some need/advantage in rogering them.
The more bloodthirsty of operators around here seem duty bound to encourage you in it.
The whole lot of you need to ease up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 04:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,365,099 times
I'm a landlord and I definitely wouldn't charge for that. I was in a similar situation, but my tenants asked me first as to what they should do before moving out. I asked them if the mount was expensive and they said no, like $20, so I asked them to leave the mount and everything was resolved. Next tenants were happy to have a mount already on the wall for their TV.

In OP's case, since the mount is gone, I would just repair and paint and not charge. My painters do light wall repairs for free when they paint, so it would cost me $0 to fix if I were painting anyway.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:07 PM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
The 4 mounting holes are a quick fix, but the 1.5" hole, and the box hole down below require a bit more extensive repair. Still it's fairly easy, but time consuming and I can see a $200 bill stemming from that. Just slapping spackle in there isn't going to fly and not how I would do the repair in my own personal home.

If it was my rental, i'd just fix it myself and carry on if they were 7+ year tenants without any issues.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:14 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,176,639 times
Yes, I would probably take off a flat $100 for that damage. They could have been a bit more careful and they didn't have to mount the TV to a wall...they have stands for that sort of thing...and cords going through the wall....it was their choice.

I mean I could go either way...it would depend on how desperate for money I am...its not like their 3 cats made me had to tear out the carpet and kilz the subfloor or anything.

Its easy to fix, just time consuming with an initial materials cost if you dont have the materials on hand.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-18-2019 at 09:24 AM..

Old 10-24-2019, 10:53 PM

784 posts, read 718,200 times
I would not deduct it. Especially if that was the only thing.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:41 AM

1,185 posts, read 739,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Yes, I would probably take off a flat $100 for that damage. They could have been a bit more careful and they didn't have to mount the TV to a wall...they have stands for that sort of thing...and cords going through the wall....it was their choice.

I mean I could go either way...it would depend on how desperate for money I am...its not like their 3 cats made me had to tear out the carpet and kilz the subfloor or anything.

Its easy to fix, just time consuming with an initial materials cost if you dont have the materials on hand.
You can’t take off a flat amount without justification for the repair.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:06 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susand123 View Post
There are 4 of such types of holes/TV mount set up throughout the property. It was where a TV was mounted on the wall, so it is not a small nail but almost the size of a golf ball.

They have been occupying this unit for 7+ years, and it has not been painted in that timeframe (aside from when the tenant first moved in).

Lease states that the property must be returned in the condition it was received. There were no holes prior in these areas. They also did not consult me to ask permission to make such a change, which was also stated in the lease.

Would you count this as normal wear & tear vs. damage? Especially given the time that it hasn’t been painted (7+ years)? How much would you charge?
In CA you could only charge your actual costs. If you do the labor yourself, you can only charge a reasonable amount for doing the job.

You couldn't charge them for painting at this point, as the paint job would have been too old since the time they moved in.

Probably the time you have spent so far trying to figure out how to charge your 7 year long-term tenant, where you didn't have to absorb the cost of multiple tenancies during that time frame, wasn't worth what you could hope to get away with in court, if this tenant took you to small claims court over whatever you tried to charge them for these holes.

Yeesh. Feel grateful you didn't have to turn that unit over for 7 years, and that this is the biggest dilemma you have to deal with over their move-out - and quit being such a greedy bashturd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting