Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:29 PM

9,863 posts, read 14,000,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Another good thing to check is the local court records to see if the landlord has any current or previous court cases, especially judgements or divorces. If he does contact the attorneys in those cases and tell them you think landlord is not reporting income.

The OP has ZERO evidence to this allegation and reporting it would be considered harassment. The LL would be very successful in a lawsuit if this happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 06:37 AM

3,699 posts, read 2,226,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
You need to check tenant/landlord laws in Virginia. In most states the landlord must give at least 24 hour notice before entering a tenants house unless its an emergency such as a water leak, gas leak, etc.
I would insist the landlord follow this rule. If he still shows up unannounced don't let him in and or call the police.

Another good thing to check is the local court records to see if the landlord has any current or previous court cases, especially judgements or divorces. If he does contact the attorneys in those cases and tell them you think landlord is not reporting income.

Also, check fire codes in your area and make sure landlord follows them. For example, rental units most likely need smoke and CO2 detectors. If they are not present contact fire dept.

Bonus points - tell the landlord to his face you are doing all of the above. I'll bet he'll stop harassing you after that.
These are good points. However, she needs to get out of this environment, pronto! This LL is clearly a jabroni, to put it mildly. Her efforts need to be put into moving and settling her child into a new school, if needed.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:44 AM

586 posts, read 549,341 times
Since realizing I was actually shocked at the simple consideration of his advances, and super uncomfortable with so many people, (including himself standing there to supposedly hear about quotes), so often in and out of here (and mainly my bedroom where most of the repair-related issues have been), after I clearly expressed to him several times I was hoping for better qualified people to come less often and for all to to stay focused and try and be more efficient in coordinating appointments (oh and how many didn't show up at all), I have started to realize this landlord is just a very bored selfish retiree with no qualms about wasting people's time.

But your real issue is that you’re a terrible writer.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:39 PM

3,699 posts, read 2,226,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
Since realizing I was actually shocked at the simple consideration of his advances, and super uncomfortable with so many people, (including himself standing there to supposedly hear about quotes), so often in and out of here (and mainly my bedroom where most of the repair-related issues have been), after I clearly expressed to him several times I was hoping for better qualified people to come less often and for all to to stay focused and try and be more efficient in coordinating appointments (oh and how many didn't show up at all), I have started to realize this landlord is just a very bored selfish retiree with no qualms about wasting people's time.

But your real issue is that you’re a terrible writer.
Ok let's stay on point, english major. I hope the OP decided to move. If I were in her shoes, I would just grin and bear it but making inroads into finding a new place.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:21 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,883,826 times
Fair Housing protects parents with very young children, for one thing. Look at this. Make a call for official info. Also look into VHDA/renters: DPOR : Fair Housing Office

Old 10-12-2019, 11:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,641,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBresident View Post
My landlord has been seriously crossing boundaries, almost immediately since I started rented about 4 months ago. To give an idea: he is in his mid 70's (although it's hard to tell), I am in my early 40's still married (husband works and lives in a different state) and I have not given any sign of interest in any way other than to speak about needed repairs in this rental townhouse.

His constant sexual innuendo, abd taking forever to make repairs, while bringing in about a dozen so-called handymen, repair people etc... who are more semi-pros than serious contractors, has led to a feeling of discouragement on my side, and overall tension since I started expressing the need for more seriousness on his side as a responsible landlord. When mentioning this to a neighbor, it was confirmed to me this landlord has had issues in the past, the similar kind, about repairs and making advances to either tenants or other neighbors. Since realizing I was actually shocked at the simple consideration of his advances, and super uncomfortable with so many people, (including himself standing there to supposedly hear about quotes), so often in and out of here (and mainly my bedroom where most of the repair-related issues have been), after I clearly expressed to him several times I was hoping for better qualified people to come less often and for all to to stay focused and try and be more efficient in coordinating appointments (oh and how many didn't show up at all), I have started to realize this landlord is just a very bored selfish retiree with no qualms about wasting people's time. His attitude has changed so much from seemingly "old school courtesy" to blatant chauvinism and utter lack of basic manners.

The last time he was here, standing in my bedroom, he started nagging and trying to start an argument, so I immediately asked him not to create a scene because despite renting this place, it was still my temporary "safe haven" and that he was just being crass raising his voice at me. I could clearly see him shaking, humiliated (at me not letting him talk down to me in my OWN BEDROOM), and wanting to show who was "boss". Told him it was a disgrace to have to remind these basic manners to someone his age who should know better, to which he replied I had better not finish unpacking my clothes from bins and be on my way to another place (one of the issues, albeit not health or safety related, is that closet doors do not work and Ive been unable to properly hang my clothes in 4 months of being here -another issue is a sliding door that doesn't lock, but there are many more maintenance issues).

This has obviously eaten up so much of my time (entire days arranged and rearranged as these people were coming in and out so often), and has become a huge headache, as anyone can imagine.

He now has repeated about 5 times that I should leave and has written and/or said veiled threats along the lines of "future proceedings", "understanding what he means" etc... etc... Having a child in this school district is the main reason I haven't already packed the little i've unpacked.

I signed a 2 year lease, as that's how long my child has to graduate HS, but foresee having to ask him to write a new lease to end at the end of school. I also foresee having to do my homework as far as tenants rights as he has been problematic in SO many different ways. Our communication has been in text and verbal only. I do not even have an email address for him! He has refused repeatedly to provide any sort of mailing address (I'd be fine with a simple P.O. box). I've never been one to litigate much, finding more interesting things to do in life, but am aware I should be able to send him certified mail in moments like these.

Does anyone know of a VA law regarding providing their mailing address?
check online records with the county property assessor. Some let you search by name, some by address. If it's by address check your own address and it should have the owner's info, in my county it has the address of the property they own as well as their mailing address. You may also be able to find his home address. If you Google his name you may be able to find some info on his public election info.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:05 PM

6,335 posts, read 11,500,302 times
Seek legal advice, document events and interactions, etc. The resolution I would be looking for is for you to be able to hire the repair people directly and take it off your rent. No idea if this is possible - it would depend on what kind of laws your state has about harassment and lewd? behavior.

Sure you could move but the next renter would face the same harassment.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:44 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,489,547 times
What sort of work is he doing?

I have two suggestions: stop calling him for repairs. Get the repairs done yourself by your own people at your own expense. It will cost less than moving and your child can stay in the same school.

If he gives notice that he is coming in, get out your video camera and record everything. Have a friend there with you when the landlord is in your apartment. Better yet, when he gives notice that he will be there, you leave and be elsewhere at that time.

Do not respond to him except to answer direct questions abut the repairs. if he says something out of line, you don't argue, just tell him that he is making you uncomfortable (remember you are openly recording all of this). Do not, under any circumstances, argue with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting