Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 AM
 
18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Reputation: 7553

Advertisements

I was making plans to rent my mother's vacant house (SFD) and in the course of doing some investigating on the issues of being forced to accept animals inside the property I found a out a few things I'd like to pass along to landlords:


* service animals are not confined to dogs. Companies are now training ponies (actually called "miniature horses) to be service animals. That means as a landlord you would have to accept a small horse living inside your property or risk being sued. As always I try to back up my claims with proof:
https://www.horseillustrated.com/hor...ervice-animals


* If you are a property owner who wants to rent a SFD you can skirt the requirement to allow emotional support animals and service animals into your home if you
1. own less than three SFD
2. if the unit you are renting is a SFD
3 (most important) if you do NOT use a licensed brokerage service to rent it for you. IOW, you must rent directly to whoever you choose.


Quote:
Housing covered by the Fair Housing Act

All types of housing, including public housing, are covered by the FHA except: 1. Rental dwellings of four or less units, where one unit is occupied by the owner; 2. Single family homes sold or rented by the owner without the use of a broker; 3. Housing owned by private clubs or religious organizations that restrict occupancy in housing units to their members.
https://www.humanesociety.org/resour...stance-animals



For those not wanting the burden of having a giant animal on a premise that cannot accommodate it I hope this information helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2019, 12:09 PM
 
Location: The Triad
34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Reputation: 43660
What is an SFD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
Reputation: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What is an SFD?

Single family dwelling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 PM
 
18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Reputation: 7553
Stand alone house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM
 
3,942 posts, read 2,341,086 times
Reputation: 2077
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Single family dwelling?
That would be my guess. I usually see the acronym SFR = Single Family Residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 01:19 PM
 
13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Reputation: 21410
Unless, your State law has extended the federal fair housing requirements to other rentals normally exempt from those regulations. Over 60% of fines leveled against landlords for violating Assistance Animal fair housing regulations are based on a State's extension of protections that otherwise would have been exempt under federal regulations.

And once again for the ignorant, the proper term as it relates to non government or government funded rentals housing is is Assistance Animals which covers any animal. Service Animals under the ADA applies only to government housing, government funded housing and the common areas of larger apartment complexes or buildings. The ADA and it;s definition of Service Animal does not extend to normal rental housing and certainly not to the rental unit itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 04:01 PM
 
18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Reputation: 7553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unless, your State law has extended the federal fair housing requirements to other rentals normally exempt from those regulations. Over 60% of fines leveled against landlords for violating Assistance Animal fair housing regulations are based on a State's extension of protections that otherwise would have been exempt under federal regulations.

And once again for the ignorant, the proper term as it relates to non government or government funded rentals housing is is Assistance Animals which covers any animal. Service Animals under the ADA applies only to government housing, government funded housing and the common areas of larger apartment complexes or buildings. The ADA and it;s definition of Service Animal does not extend to normal rental housing and certainly not to the rental unit itself.

It's a touchy issue. I spoke with a property management firm in Los Angeles and they said they have to deal with emotional support animals and service dogs all the time. Owners buy service certificates online for their ESA's and owners buy ESA certificate online for their regular pets all the time and try to pass them off as such to unsuspecting landlords and then threaten to sue if the LL doesn't accept them. Many LL's are bullied into accepting an ordinary dog as a ESA simply because they are uninformed, but you can bet pet lovers who are renting know these laws inside and out.



The issue gets complex because you have the Fair Housing Act on top of the ADA to get familiar with and then you have separate city, county and state laws on top of those. The way to escape the regulations is to own 4 or less units and live in one, or own one or two single family dwellings (SFD) and rent them yourself--don't use an agency. Then you prety much get by any sort of law regardless of the level of government because ALL laws have to have some exemptions built in for the little guy who's not a pro owner/manager.


This is a "Sure, I'm for nuclear power plants, just not in my backyard" issue. Some LL's love animals and are happy to rent to someone with an entire zoo, while others like myself have seen firsthand the destruction a dog can do if their owner is a non-caring idiot. My mother once had to replace an entire living room floor right down to replacing the joists because the German Shepherd this guy brought in against the rental agreement never took it outside and just let it pee all over the carpeting until he couldn't stand the odor anymore and then turned in his 30-day notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 PM
 
289 posts, read 224,387 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's a touchy issue. I spoke with a property management firm in Los Angeles and they said they have to deal with emotional support animals and service dogs all the time. Owners buy service certificates online for their ESA's and owners buy ESA certificate online for their regular pets all the time and try to pass them off as such to unsuspecting landlords and then threaten to sue if the LL doesn't accept them. Many LL's are bullied into accepting an ordinary dog as a ESA simply because they are uninformed, but you can bet pet lovers who are renting know these laws inside and out.



The issue gets complex because you have the Fair Housing Act on top of the ADA to get familiar with and then you have separate city, county and state laws on top of those. The way to escape the regulations is to own 4 or less units and live in one, or own one or two single family dwellings (SFD) and rent them yourself--don't use an agency. Then you prety much get by any sort of law regardless of the level of government because ALL laws have to have some exemptions built in for the little guy who's not a pro owner/manager.


This is a "Sure, I'm for nuclear power plants, just not in my backyard" issue. Some LL's love animals and are happy to rent to someone with an entire zoo, while others like myself have seen firsthand the destruction a dog can do if their owner is a non-caring idiot. My mother once had to replace an entire living room floor right down to replacing the joists because the German Shepherd this guy brought in against the rental agreement never took it outside and just let it pee all over the carpeting until he couldn't stand the odor anymore and then turned in his 30-day notice.
The fake service animal circus has gotten way out of hand.

A few years ago, I had a tenant that lost his marbles and never took his two small dogs out. Destroyed the carpet. We had to seal the subfloor with Kilz and re-carpet. Of course, the tenant was the typical deadbeat who had no money. Now I have a strict no pets policy. I do everything I can to avoid animals in my properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
6,340 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Reputation: 17999
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

* service animals are not confined to dogs. Companies are now training ponies (actually called "miniature horses) to be service animals.

Yeah, and one moron actually brought her pony on to a plane with her and got away with it.

https://www.today.com/pets/woman-fli...-horse-t161698
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 11:52 PM
 
18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Reputation: 7553
What is the world coming to?
public domain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top