Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,198,510 times

Advertisements

One of the best things you can do is call the cops when you see someone that doesnt belong there loitering. (hanging out)
People hang back and watch. If they know that the area has people watching and calling on them. They most likely will:
A)be caught
-or-
B)move on

You could also ask for the cops to up the patrols and plain clothes police in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 03:51 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,481,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
One of the best things you can do is call the cops when you see someone that doesnt belong there loitering. (hanging out)
People hang back and watch. If they know that the area has people watching and calling on them. They most likely will:
A)be caught
-or-
B)move on

You could also ask for the cops to up the patrols and plain clothes police in the area.
Good Advice...

I'm amazed at the large number of people that will not call the Police... and it's always seems to be in the areas with problems

Old 04-20-2008, 04:42 PM

18,940 posts, read 43,356,769 times
If you're an alien on a work permit I'm assuming that means you have no credit score. If that's true I really don't see where you have anything to lose by breaking your contract, but I'm not sure how the laws work around that. If you have a judgement placed against you will you lose your temporary status?

Old 04-20-2008, 04:44 PM

22,198 posts, read 29,229,212 times
Inmuck-I'm sorry to hear about your living situation. I really hope you can resolve it to both parties satisfaction.

Ultra-I agree 100%. They are scared to call the cops but complain about the crime, etc. How can those areas get better if the residents don't do something about it??

Old 04-20-2008, 06:38 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,055,838 times
If you truly feel you are in danger, get out of there! You will be penalized and all that but it's not worth your life. You can fix your credit but you can't fix death. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor and even the US Marines have been known to advance to the rear...quickly.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
if i want to get out of my lease... but have someone who can take over tomorrow...... do i still get my bond back etc?? i hate where i am living and do not feel safe... heard a punch up outside my room the other nite and had 2 call the police and its freaked me right out.... i have a 48 yr old man who keeps askin me out.. druggos a few doors down and a guy upstairs who keeps saying hes going 2 rip my screen door off.. i hate it... im 2 months in2 the lease and its a 6 month lease.... what do i do????

Old 01-27-2010, 08:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,524,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Good Advice...

I'm amazed at the large number of people that will not call the Police... and it's always seems to be in the areas with problems
Amen.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:35 AM

600 posts, read 1,606,308 times
About 5 years ago my ex husband was held at gun point by an unidentified person in front of our apartment building. When the person drove off, we called the cops and filed a report. It turned out, the person lived in our apartment complex as well. Naturally, we wanted to break our lease. It took us 2 months and countless emails and phone calls with the headquarter's office to finally do so without penalty. But then again... we had a police report AND something actually happened to US, not just in the neighborhood. My ex husband bought a gun a few days after the incident.

Good luck!

PS: I would definitely buy a pepper spray and maybe a baseball bat or something though lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting