Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 05:09 AM

3,968 posts, read 2,352,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well if the tread is broken AND the landlord was notified but DID NOT do anything to repair it yes the landlord is negligent.

Since most exterior stair treads are concrete they don’t just break out of the blue. Even if they were wood they dont just break. There is usually a good amount of warning and signs it’s failing
Understood. I do have a few properties with pressure treated wood outside stairs. They lead to 2nd floor units. One of them goes to the third unit from the outside. Anyways so far, so good but I did want to get ahead of it legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 05:14 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Understood. I do have a few properties with pressure treated wood outside stairs. They lead to 2nd floor units. One of them goes to the third unit from the outside. Anyways so far, so good but I did want to get ahead of it legally.
My advice is to talk to local real estate lawyer. While I been in real estate for years and understand real estate law , it's always best to talk to local lawyer that knows local laws and know how judges look at many legal issues

Old 10-19-2019, 02:21 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have had tenants who insisted on piling their garbage in a stairwell. One of the city inspectors saw this and they sent me a letter saying that the stairwell needed to be kept clean. I told the tenant and they ignored me. I sent them a few written notices that their garbage needed to be removed from the stairwell and their garbage piled up deeper on the stairwell.

If they had ever fallen down the stairs due to the garbage, it would not be my fault.

Right now I have a tenant [a church], in their space, the church volunteers keep plugging in extension cords that feed power strips. The city inspectors get upset at me whenever they see it. So last night I attended a church function, and there was a 30-foot extension cord feeding an octopus to other extension cords, all feeding individual power strips. My wife disconnected all of them, and she put up a sign telling people to stop using extension cords. I am confident that if I went down there today, those cords would all be plugged in again.
Disconnect the outlet. (IE... remove electrical plate. Disconnect hot wire and cap it, disconnect neutral and cap it). Replace electrical plate cover.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Disconnect the outlet. (IE... remove electrical plate. Disconnect hot wire and cap it, disconnect neutral and cap it). Replace electrical plate cover.
WOuldn't that just encourage the tenant to plug MORE power strips in to some other outlet?

Old 10-19-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
WOuldn't that just encourage the tenant to plug MORE power strips in to some other outlet?
Not only that but it might be consider violation of tenant rights. If they are renting that space, they can plug in as many extensions as they want. Only time owner can prohibit this behavior is if tenant does in common area

Old 10-21-2019, 09:09 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Not only that but it might be consider violation of tenant rights. If they are renting that space, they can plug in as many extensions as they want. Only time owner can prohibit this behavior is if tenant does in common area
That's in reference to a Church. Which one would reasonable assume has a fair amount of audio equipment and power needs. But that doesn't give them carte blanche to violate city codes.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That's in reference to a Church. Which one would reasonable assume has a fair amount of audio equipment and power needs. But that doesn't give them carte blanche to violate city codes.
If church got full control of the area, yes they can violate city codes. Being that area is open to the public, city can issue violation to the church but landlord got no power over what they do even if landlord attends the church

Old 10-21-2019, 02:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
If church got full control of the area, yes they can violate city codes. Being that area is open to the public, city can issue violation to the church but landlord got no power over what they do even if landlord attends the church
Totally false.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Totally false.

Let me try again so you understand. Tenant rents an office space in office building, landlord can't prohibit tenant from using power strips extension. Only way it can be done is if there is immediate danger to the building and other tenants. it's highly unlikely there is an immediate danger to the building. On the other hand, landlord lease same space but that tenant plugs in extension cord in the common hallway that is under control of the landlord, yes landlord can prohibit it.

In this case church is renting the space, unless it's not exclusive space landlord don't have a word on how they use it. Landlord can notify the city that tenant is violating the law in their opinion and city can issue direct violation notice to the tenant.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:37 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
The back of this church opens onto the city hall parking lot. During business hours it is only used for city business. On the weekends and at night, the church can use the parking lot all they want.

The Fire Department is about 100 feet away, they have full view of the parking lot and the backside of the building.

One time I got an email from the Fire Chief, he was griping about there being a BBQ gril stored near the back door to the church. He sent it to me. I forwarded that email to the church pastor and I asked her to take care of it. The pastor responded to the Fire Cheif, and I got a thank you from the Fire Cheif.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting