Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 03:23 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,233,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Whatever the agency is that trains and provides guide horses for the blind, recommends that they be kept outside except when they are working.

A blind person would not need a guide inside their own home, where they know where everything is located.

The guide horses are for persons of a religion that thinks dogs are filthy.

It's a ridiculous concept. I've had horses all of my life and they have very poor spacial acuity for anything that isn't their own body. They can be trained to do tricks but they don't care terribly much about pleasing a human beyond a certain casual point. They flee when they are frightened and don't stand their ground like a well trained dog will.

The Disability Act gives a size for miniature horses that is nearly non-existent. Only a few of the very tiniest and the foals are that small.
You know nothing about miniature horses. The size requirement of under 34 inches is the size of the majority of miniature horses. They dont flee when frightened anymore than a dog will if they are well trained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 03:50 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
By the way, horses do not live to be thirty years old, with very very few exceptions, and they most certainly do not live to be 40 years old.

If you managed to get a horse up to the age of thirty, it would be a very old, very tired senior citizen animal, and not up to long hours of work that required mental sharpness.
The average lifespan is 25-35 years and even if you would retire them at 20 years that is significantly longer than the working lifespan of an SD. I retired my golden when he was 10, so I got 8 years of a working partnership. He was the most fantastic work partner ever, but having hour heart broken over and over when one mini horse could last considerably longer.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:08 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
How could a mini horse quality as a guide animal? That one stumps me.

My brother had guide dogs but they are well trained and very intelligent.
They are specifically mentioned, in legislation as guide animals for the blind.
Quote:
Whatever the agency is that trains and provides guide horses for the blind, recommends that they be kept outside except when they are working.

A blind person would not need a guide inside their own home, where they know where everything is located.

The guide horses are for persons of a religion that thinks dogs are filthy.

It's a ridiculous concept. I've had horses all of my life and they have very poor spacial acuity for anything that isn't their own body. They can be trained to do tricks but they don't care terribly much about pleasing a human beyond a certain casual point. They flee when they are frightened and don't stand their ground like a well trained dog will.

The Disability Act gives a size for miniature horses that is nearly non-existent. Only a few of the very tiniest and the foals are that small.
I think its one of those things that was written into the law but never actually fully developed. As OregonWoodsmoke mentioned, it was for people whose religious or cultural backgrounds have a taboo for dogs.

I've never actually heard of one in use or seen one.

Horses, mules, donkeys, ponies, have many neat qualities, that can make them extremely useful to people for many reasons, and I certainly see why people like them.

But I can't see them providing much in the way of guidance like a dog.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:28 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
They are specifically mentioned, in legislation as guide animals for the blind.

I think its one of those things that was written into the law but never actually fully developed. As OregonWoodsmoke mentioned, it was for people whose religious or cultural backgrounds have a taboo for dogs.

I've never actually heard of one in use or seen one.

Horses, mules, donkeys, ponies, have many neat qualities, that can make them extremely useful to people for many reasons, and I certainly see why people like them.

But I can't see them providing much in the way of guidance like a dog.

One of the few stories I read about guide horses a long time ago was about a girl who is Muslim. Run a Google search, you find numerous articles pertaining to the subject.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:29 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Also for People that are Allergic to dogs!

I think that Mini Horses were trained cause the Doodle Dog experiment FAILED!
If you're allergic to dogs there's a good chance you're allergic to a horse, which sheds a lot like a shorthair dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Does the mini guide horse live and **** inside the house or outside in a barn?

Would a person who needs the help of a service animal, also be able to handle the rigors and demands of caring for a horse? Do they need to hire someone to take care of the horse? Seems fairly counter productive.

For those and many more reasons, I wouldn't rent to someone with a mini guide horse. Perhaps they should be looking at places such as a farm which would be more suitable for them.
If they can care for a 90 lb dog they can care for a 90 lb horse. They're guide animals for the blind, people that are generally physically fit enough to get by just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I have read some commentary on this. All of the specialized care a horse needs a mini horse needs. Farrier visits, teeth floating, de-worming.

If the recommendation is that the horse live outside with an appropriate shelter when not needed is a landlord obligated to provide that shelter?
It's "specialized" but is it that much more than a dog? Dog's need de-worming, care, etc...The farrier is the only unique thing about it.
Quote:
The landlord must allow the disabled tenant to modify a dwelling to allow for their disability but that is at the tenant's own expense, must be done by a licensed contractor, done with building permits, and must return the premises to the original state at the tenant's own expense.

So, I am going to guess that the landlord must allow the tenant to build a stable at the tenant's own expense. Built by a licensed and bonded contractor with permits.

If a tenant is going to spend that much money, they might as well buy their own house instead of renting.
It's a horse that's the size of an average large dog. The horse wouldn't need a stable as such. Probably closer to a dog house that allowed the horse to stand up.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:12 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
snip
But I can't see them providing much in the way of guidance like a dog.end snip
For many blind people mini horses are a good choice because of heir impaired stability/mobility.

My friend with a mini horse had a stroke and while he has recovered a great deal he is weaker on his left side and being able to have his SA bear some of his weight while guiding him safely is a godsend.

He is not impaired enough to be forced into a wheelchair, but using a cane & dog could get him tangled up and could cause him to fall and injure himself.

His mini horse guides him smoothly and safely in public around people and physical barriers and has small saddlebags that further take the burden of his work possessions and small shopping items from possibly causing falls.

I only know of one mini horse Service Animal team, but they are quite wonderful together.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:24 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
What about a burro? They are smaller like a mini horse. But maybe they are more temperamental and not so easily trained.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:23 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
What about a burro? They are smaller like a mini horse. But maybe they are more temperamental and not so easily trained.

If you'd like but it would not have any fair housing protection. Service animals can only be dogs or mini horses.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:03 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
If you're allergic to dogs there's a good chance you're allergic to a horse, which sheds a lot like a shorthair dog.

Lots of people are Allergic to Dogs BUT Not Allergic to Cats Horses or other animals! I know people that being around Dogs put them into the hospital.... Same person being around her families 30 cats or my horse she was just fine.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
If you'd like but it would not have any fair housing protection. Service animals can only be dogs or mini horses.
Incorrect.

Fair Housing protection for Assistance Animals is based on the health provider's certification of need and the tenant's certification that that animal meets the need. There is NO limitations of animal types under the FHA.

A tenant can have an Assistance mouse or an Assistance elephant. Service animals are an ADA term that has no place anymore in fair housing since HUD removed that specific term (replaced by the actual requirements of a Service Animal spelled completely out) to avoid the continued confusion by dolts who can;t keep them separated. Service Animals is only one type of animal that is protected, but by no means are the only ones protected under FH&A Acts. So a burro is 100% protected if it meets the legal requirement of an Assistance Animal under FH&A Acts.

Again, Service Animals is an ADA term that has nothing to do with non government supported rental housing! This is why a landlords can qualify any Reasonable Accommodation request for an Assistance Animal way beyond what ADA allows for Service Animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting