Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 14,143 times

Advertisements

My apartment had damaged due to burst pipes one late night. HUD Subsidy Section 8 landlord temporarily housed me in Marriott Hotel. I lived there for over 60 days with my guest. I always paid rent on time and had my mail coming to hotel

There was a power outage on Saturday morning, and my guest went to dinning hall to get food for us to eat. However, he got into altercation with kitchen staff.

Following Monday, I received a text message from Section 8 leasing office manager, saying thanks for full rent. I must inform you that hotel manager has asked that you and guest leave because he got into altercation with employee.
I respond I just paid rent and have no where else to go. Besides we were inconvenience due to power outage and my guest stated kitchen staff started the altercation and was unprofessional. Therefore can you please talk to hotel manager to change hotel decision? Section 8 manager said no, and issue was out of her hands!

I called hotel manager and explained I had no where to go, just paid full month's rent, and was altercation investigated to find out what really happened! He said I still had to leave to protect his hotel employee. Which guest stated he didn't threaten employee, and police wasnt called when altercation happened.

Not to cause a confrontation or smoke, I packed my things up not knowing my eviction legal rights, and left hotel scrambling for a place to live. I had to come out of my pocket for moving expenses, storage unit, and more rent money trying to find somewhere else to live because Subsidy Section 8 Housing stated they were still repairing my apartment for water damage and couldn't place me for temporary housing anywhere else.

Thirty days passed... I mailed a certified letter to section 8 landlord demanding my security deposit, I finally got my security deposit returned, but for incorrect amount. I have questions, and manager not responding to my emails.

After doing a little research I feel I have a claim or suit against hotel for wrongful eviction because of the way Marriott manager handled incident. I wasn't served anything in writing or vacate notice which is illegal in Missouri. And against HUD Section 8 landlord for security deposit which next step is small claims court.

Please give me some advice?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 01:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Hotel should have Refunded the rent...pro rated for the days you stayed. File in Small claims court. BTW IF HUD Paid then HUD will receive money You paid the You should receive money. But either way I would file.

I don't understand "Guest"? Was he on the lease or your HUD? That being said You are Responsible for Guest behavior. Have him come to court & the person he altercation with subpoena them to make sure they show up!

Old 10-27-2019, 02:18 PM

I paid full month's rent begining of month, but left mid-month. Therefore, rent should be pro-rated back to me.

Even though I didn't cause altercation, I was a Marriott resident lived there passed 60 days. And both guest and I received mail at hotel. Guest got into altercation, and was not on my month- to-month lease. They can ask me to leave due to guest altercation, and that's an eviction! However, eviction wasn't handled properly just throwing me out. I have tenant/resident rights!
Residents not knowing landlord-tenant eviction laws in their State can get messed around.

And remember I mentioned there was a power outage and guest and residents were inconvenience. Hotel manager simply took kitchen employee's testimony to what happened. This kitchen employee I found out has a bad rep for throwing her weight around and getting people kick out of hotel. She threaten my guest she would have us kicked out. This kitchen employee and manager are friends!

Old 10-27-2019, 02:36 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Living in a Hotel even Long Term is Different than Apt Rules. Look it up for your area. Hotels Don't the Same EVICTION rules as Apts.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:54 PM

Hotel and apartment may have different eviction rules. But I don't think a hotel manager can simply throw me out on the streets. Im checking into the matter.

HUD Section 8 didn't make sure the altercation with my guest was investigated to see what caused the altercation due to power outage, Or, if hotel follow proper procedures on this issue; HUD Section 8 manager simply want to collect the rent while we lived there, but not care about my well being getting thrown out on the streets. I was a resident for years and never had any problems.

And hotel kitchen employee wasn't reprimanded for cocky and unprofessional behavior yelling with my guest...with her threats to have us put out!! She still have her job at Marriott hotel!

Old 10-27-2019, 05:40 PM

1,185 posts, read 749,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinBrownie View Post
Hotel and apartment may have different eviction rules. But I don't think a hotel manager can simply throw me out on the streets. Im checking into the matter.

HUD Section 8 didn't make sure the altercation with my guest was investigated to see what caused the altercation due to power outage, Or, if hotel follow proper procedures on this issue; HUD Section 8 manager simply want to collect the rent while we lived there, but not care about my well being getting thrown out on the streets. I was a resident for years and never had any problems.

And hotel kitchen employee wasn't reprimanded for cocky and unprofessional behavior yelling with my guest...with her threats to have us put out!! She still have her job at Marriott hotel!
You’re wrong.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:01 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:

Yes, a hotel manager can throw you out. You were not evicted; that’s a legal process that is ordered through t the courts.

Obviously your friends behavior was negative enough to warrant asking you to leave.

HUD doesn’t care about who, what’s and why’s.. they just need to know you were asked to leave.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yes, a hotel manager can throw you out. You were not evicted; that’s a legal process that is ordered through t the courts.

Yes, hotel manager can ask hotel residents to leave due to their guest behavior. The guest has to promptly leave. However, hotel went about this the wrong way! Hotel didn't serve a vacate notice to me in writing. And if I didn't leave, hotel have to go thru court system to remove me. Missouri law does apply to this issue. Hotel had an agreement with HUD as long as I was paying my rent I could stay as a resident.

Obviously your friends behavior was negative enough to warrant asking you to leave.

That's a valid point. Based on witnesses and other hotel employees that day, hotel kitchen employee's demeanor was stank +unprofessional, and she wasn't reprimanded or fired for yelling at my guest which caused altercation. How would you feel if this had happened to you?

HUD doesn’t care about who, what’s and why’s.. they just need to know you were asked to leave.
True, & HUD only wants to collect rent that's due; Any other issue(s) involving a long-term always paid rent on time "good" tenant/resident such as myself, nothing else matters!!

Old 10-28-2019, 12:32 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
After doing a little research I feel I have a claim or suit against hotel for wrongful eviction because of the way Marriott manager handled incident. I wasn't served anything in writing or vacate notice which is illegal in Missouri. And against HUD Section 8 landlord for security deposit which next step is small claims court.
You're in a stew pot of regulations. Since you were residing in the hotel in excess of 30 days, your residency rights shifted from temporary lodging guest to resident. But, the main question is if you were paying rent directly to the hotel or was the hotel contracted by another entity? Unless you paid directly, you're residency rights can't be exerted on the hotel. Although you may not like how it all went down, the hotel is legally allowed to end your stay unless they were doing it to you because you're part of a protected class. However, if they are asserting your guest posed a threat to the hotel, staff or other guest, they can tell you to get out immediately. So, your rights will depend a lot on of you were paying the hotel directly.

Unlike rentals, hotels have broader authority to kick people out for just about any reason listed on their terms of service. The generic "disruptive behavior" is an almost certain invitation to be tossed out. And, the actions of your guest is also the actions upon you. If your guest does something wrong, they have the right to throw everyone out (and they usually do). Written notice is not required.

I seriously doubt you will have a legal basis to file any claim especially if your guest did in fact get into an altercation.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:14 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I'm surprised HUD didn't "kick you out" of the program due to you having someone else living with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting