Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,004 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Florida. I've lived in my apartment for 1.5 years, no problems. I originally rented from the building owner but this past year he has hired a rental management company. They just sent me a letter asking me to commit to either renewing my lease or commit to moving out at the end of my lease. But my lease doesn't end for another 6 months! I'm not sure what to do. I don't know yet whether I want to commit for another year (with a 5% rent increase) or not.

I've never had anyone ask me to commit so early. Is this now standard practice? Do I have to give them an answer so soon? Not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice.

PS I do live next to a major university if that matters. But my apartment building is old and rundown, not a new or renovated apartment. I don't think every unit is rented but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:06 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,723,745 times
Yeah, six months is early. Two months ahead of time is standard. They probably want to renovate units and charge higher rent. Students will usually pay high rates, since it's still so much cheaper than the dorms.

Do you want to renew with a 5% increase? If yes, then go ahead and sign it. Then you know you're set for next 18 months. If not, you could ask for more time to decide, but realize that THEY could decide that THEY don't want to renew, and they could ask you to leave at the end of your lease, so that they can renovate, increase rent, and rent to a student.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,245,168 times
Often the renewal period is in the lease. It sounds like that's not the case here unless you didn't mention it.

Based on my knowledge of rentals in a large university town, your location is probably the reason for the request.

In my large university town it's not unusual for landlords to have it in the lease that renewals will happen in September and October for the next renting cycle in August. Most students here start looking for next year's rental in November.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,517,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy235 View Post
How soon can my landlord ask me to renew my lease?
The very next day if they like.

Quote:
I've lived in my apartment for 1.5 years, no problems.
I originally rented from the building owner
but this past year he has hired a rental management company.
Uh oh. That doesn't bode well.

Most owners who SELF manage tend to charge less and not bump the rent very often or confound things
with a lot of 'renewal' nonsense because most basic leases leave 'renewal' as the default.
Those leases also would typically have the deal revert to a M2M arrangement after a year.

Quote:
They just sent me a letter asking me to commit to either renewing my lease or commit to moving out ...
They're looking to bump the rent and gig the owner for the 'lease process'.

Worse (for you) is they might just have a 'remodeling plan' in mind.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:16 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,304,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Often the renewal period is in the lease. It sounds like that's not the case here unless you didn't mention it.

Based on my knowledge of rentals in a large university town, your location is probably the reason for the request.

In my large university town it's not unusual for landlords to have it in the lease that renewals will happen in September and October for the next renting cycle in August. Most students here start looking for next year's rental in November.
That's my question, OP. Does your lease stipulate a renewal period? If so, that would overrule the letter you received.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:02 AM

13,912 posts, read 39,115,847 times
My apt starts asking at 4 months! I keep telling them I no clue since HUD starts Paperwork & inspects the apt 60 to 30 days before the lease ends. Apt Fails inspection & the LL Fails to Fix the problem in timely manner I have to move.... one time it was 3 Days past the renewal when the problems were fixed & I got the go ahead to sign the lease.
4months of stress! I wouldn't care for 6 months!!!!

Old 12-12-2019, 11:30 AM

10,295 posts, read 8,459,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My apt starts asking at 4 months! I keep telling them I no clue since HUD starts Paperwork & inspects the apt 60 to 30 days before the lease ends. Apt Fails inspection & the LL Fails to Fix the problem in timely manner I have to move.... one time it was 3 Days past the renewal when the problems were fixed & I got the go ahead to sign the lease.
4months of stress! I wouldn't care for 6 months!!!!
Wow that sucks for you. How long before landlord actually got the fix it list? I have had sec 8 give me just 5 days to fix something. Sometimes you can’t get a repair person in to look at it and fix it in that time. Their unreasonable time lines is part of the reason I don’t t do sec 8 anymore.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 AM

In this case they had 24 Hours! I Complained for over 4 Months about the problem to LL with No one even trying to fix it. ALL my complaints were in Writing. I even had a Recording of me talking to the LL... who never followed up! As I am on SSD home 24/7 its not like I wouldn't know when maintance was here.

There have been other items they let go since I didn't care. Like torn patio door screen... I dont use the door screen I didn't even notice it was torn. As I told HUD when door open dogs come & go IF the Screen is close they just as likely to just go thru it LL did fix it a few months After the inspection I just make sure it is Always open

Old 12-12-2019, 11:46 AM

1,185 posts, read 740,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
In this case they had 24 Hours! I Complained for over 4 Months about the problem to LL with No one even trying to fix it. ALL my complaints were in Writing. I even had a Recording of me talking to the LL... who never followed up! As I am on SSD home 24/7 its not like I wouldn't know when maintance was here.

There have been other items they let go since I didn't care. Like torn patio door screen... I dont use the door screen I didn't even notice it was torn. As I told HUD when door open dogs come & go IF the Screen is close they just as likely to just go thru it LL did fix it a few months After the inspection I just make sure it is Always open
You could always just pay full rate for your apartment and life and not live on subsidies.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
You could always just pay full rate for your apartment and life and not live on subsidies.
Cute Trick Income from SSD $700 per month Rent 2 bedroom $850 per month are YOU For REAL???

Paying full rent has Nothing to do with upkeep! Tenants here that pay full rent still complain about the poor upkeep! 15+ years of leaking roofs they Finally replaced them last month! 2 years of linking pipes & other plumbing problems WE tenants get told need Regulators pressure TOO High HUH?? Funny most of us lived her for 10+ years.... plumbing problems started 2 years ago.... mine stared 6 months ago After the Holidays I reporting to Health Dept & HUD! Flushing commode with bucket gets old esp with bad back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting