Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

I can only say what *I* would do. I'd put something up on the "ceiling" so that THEIR water doesn't get on MY balcony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 07:12 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
atlmburns-what happened with my brother was not normal noises.These were not apartments. They were privately owned condos. The childrens mother owned the unit and they were staying there. Everyday all hours the kids running around, throwing things, screaming, yelling. A 1100sq ft 2/2 apt is not the right place for 3 young kids. I'm talking all under 6. I'm talking at 6am all the way up to midnight sometimes, all days of the week. By law, you have the right to quiet enjoyment of your unit. That includes noisy neighbors whether its kids or not. It was a total nightmare. I don't know why my brother put up with it for so many years. I would have sued and moved! However its done with now and its all nice and quiet again.

What state is that quote from?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:30 AM

294 posts, read 1,086,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
atlmburns-what happened with my brother was not normal noises.These were not apartments. They were privately owned condos. The childrens mother owned the unit and they were staying there. Everyday all hours the kids running around, throwing things, screaming, yelling. A 1100sq ft 2/2 apt is not the right place for 3 young kids. I'm talking all under 6. I'm talking at 6am all the way up to midnight sometimes, all days of the week. By law, you have the right to quiet enjoyment of your unit. That includes noisy neighbors whether its kids or not. It was a total nightmare. I don't know why my brother put up with it for so many years. I would have sued and moved! However its done with now and its all nice and quiet again.

What state is that quote from?
What your brother went through sounds bad and i can relate, I have lived below and above people that have no respect for the neighbors. I have two small children and i go out of my way to make sure they don't disturb the neighbors, to a point that we are moving because the guy downstairs is not happy, so that way he will be happy and i will be happy when i don't have to constantly tell my girls to stop being children.

The quote comes from the California Section, please don't misundrrstand me, I wasn't trying to say that people should have to put up with the noise, I'm only trying to show that it's hard to sue people with children because of this legislation.

I think we got off on the wrong footing.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:44 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Simple. Just politely tell her what is happenin`.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:27 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I totally understand. It's different in FL. I believe it covers all aspects including children regarding right to quiet enjoyment of unit. I looked into all the legalities and everything when this first started.

No wrong footing. You see it as being a mother of 2 children and I see it as a single person with no kids.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
I need help! I own a condo here in Ca. I have a couple that live up stairs from me and they have two small children. I love kids as I have a 8 year old, but I have taught my daughter that there are people that live below us and we want to respect them, there is no jumping and running and the TV can not be full blast loud and she is great with that. Anyways, when it first started we called the husband and ask him very nicely and he said fine,( then it got worst), my husband went upstairs and spoke. Finally it got to the point where my husband would call and the man would say do whatever you have to do they will not stop, we have called the police, we have called the owner who came out and spoke to all parties, we made a plan that girls can play but come 8 in evening it would stop, still going on after 8 keeping my daughter up. We call the owner of condo he says he will take care of it. It has been 4 months still happening. What do I do now going CRAZY!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:18 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisag123 View Post
What do I do now going CRAZY!
Move to a single family home. No more noise issues.

Or make enough complaints that the neighbors won't get their lease renewed and wait it out.... until the next people move upstairs and make noise again.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
What are the rules of the condo regarding noise and disturbing other units?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
People have to be able to water plants and clean the balconies. Only put stuff that can get wet there. Would you rather not have plants on the balconies? I once lived in a 200 unit where we were the only people who had a few plants. It was sad.

Best idea, I only rent top floor corner units or end unit townhome. Stops 90% of issues.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisag123 View Post
I need help! I own a condo here in Ca. I have a couple that live up stairs from me and they have two small children. I love kids as I have a 8 year old, but I have taught my daughter that there are people that live below us and we want to respect them, there is no jumping and running and the TV can not be full blast loud and she is great with that. Anyways, when it first started we called the husband and ask him very nicely and he said fine,( then it got worst), my husband went upstairs and spoke. Finally it got to the point where my husband would call and the man would say do whatever you have to do they will not stop, we have called the police, we have called the owner who came out and spoke to all parties, we made a plan that girls can play but come 8 in evening it would stop, still going on after 8 keeping my daughter up. We call the owner of condo he says he will take care of it. It has been 4 months still happening. What do I do now going CRAZY!
It would be helpful to start your own thread. Adding on to a three year old thread that isn't even the same topic as yours just wastes a lot of people's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting