Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,961,607 times

Advertisements

Am I being irrational here?

We have wooden terraces with space between the slats. My upstairs neighbors keep watering their hanging plants without trays underneath and the water rains down onto my terrace. Last year they killed an herb plant. Their plants are hanging in maybe a foot from the edge so a foot of my terrace around the perimeter gets wet, and my stuff there.

On the one hand, a good rain will do the same thing. On the other hand, this is incredibly rude! Last year they did the same thing with potted plants and I bought them trays.

This makes me SO MAD. I guess the solution may be to put plants around the edge myself, but I don't want my plants overwatered and shouldn't they have to put trays under the hanging plants too???? I know those trays exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:04 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,359,009 times
Unfortunately, that is just one of the problems about living in an apartment complex where people live above you. We don't have the problem you do, we have noise problems with the neighbors above us. But we complete understand what you are going thru with an "I don't care" type of attitude that an upstairs neighbor can have. Will the management help you at all? Don't know, but ours didn't with the noise problem. Neighbor above us has a small child that loves to run back and forth across their apartment floor/our ceiling and it's loud. Then we have the mother run across their floor after the child and that can be REAL noisey.
People just don't care who lives below them in an apartment complex.
Good Luck

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 AM

I haven't contacted them yet but I'm going to try and speak to the neighbors again. Otherwise I guess I will just get some plants that love a lot of water and put them in those areas.

Meh, apartment living...I've definitely dealt with much worse, so I don't want to complain that much about this

Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
My brother had the same problem. I went up there and spoke with the person explaining that every time she poured her dirty mopping water off the balcony, that it landed all over my brothers stuff and the two people below us. 4 story building. Never happened again

Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
You can't complain until you speak to her. She probably has no idea what it is doing..

Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You can't complain until you speak to her. She probably has no idea what it is doing..
They know - last year I spoke to them AND bought them trays to put under their plants

I'm going to have to speak to them again. They could very easily pour water on ME, like the other poster said. I'm not optimistic that they'll stop. Maybe their plants will get overwatered and die.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
If after speaking to her again, make a formal complaint in writing, send it certified mail to the mgmt company. Copy the neighbors as well.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
I would find out when she waters & save your water & energy by not watering your plants! As you said the rain is going to wet them anyway!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I haven't contacted them yet but I'm going to try and speak to the neighbors again. Otherwise I guess I will just get some plants that love a lot of water and put them in those areas.

Meh, apartment living...I've definitely dealt with much worse, so I don't want to complain that much about this
Talk to your landlord about it.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,600,702 times
Just don't point that high pressure hose up between the balcony floor spaces and turn it on when they come outside. That would be rude of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting