Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2019, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 8,505 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anybody had any thoughts for this situation?

I'm looking into renting a 2BR/2BA room in a HOA condo with a roommate who I admittedly don't know very well.

Obviously, we are looking into this for cost reasons, as living alone makes this 50% more expensive and we are both new to the city and prefer to start out with at least some company.

Are there steps we should be taking to protect ourselves against the possibility of one of us breaking lease early? We are both highly committed to finishing out the entire lease, of course, but it's smarter to prepare for the what-if scenarios now.

Just wondering if there's some process involved that we could follow. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:27 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
There's a Rental sub-forum under the C-D heading of Real Estate -- you'll probably get better answers if you move your question there.

And I think it's prudent, before you move in with someone you don't know well, to do some background research about that person.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:03 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
There's a Rental sub-forum under the C-D heading of Real Estate -- you'll probably get better answers if you move your question there.

And I think it's prudent, before you move in with someone you don't know well, to do some background research about that person.
I agree.

OP, do what you can to get your own place. You would be shocked if I told you what I found, dirt cheap, no housemates and in a good area.
Check your local craigslist, you might be surprised.

Every place I checked out with housemates were disasters.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:43 AM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBabe90 View Post
Are there steps we should be taking to protect ourselves against the possibility of one of us breaking lease early?
Nothing that the landlord is likely to accept being added to their lease.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:55 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I agree.

OP, do what you can to get your own place. You would be shocked if I told you what I found, dirt cheap, no housemates and in a good area.
Check your local craigslist, you might be surprised.

Every place I checked out with housemates were disasters.
I would agree. I would get a 1 bedroom apartment if I were in your situation. It is probable that you can afford a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere reasonable. It might not be the newest place, but it'll be decent. You don't even need to sign a full 12 month lease in a lot of cases.

Social interaction can easily be found outside of having a roommate.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:26 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBabe90 View Post
Wondering if anybody had any thoughts for this situation

Yeah, if you haven't done it yet, don't do it. Roommate arrangements often turn into nightmares. Google roommate horror stories and you'll find out.

Get yourself an efficiency or studio apartment on your own. You don't need company to have a place to eat, sleep and watch TV.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:28 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Yeah, if you haven't done it yet, don't do it. Roommate arrangements often turn into nightmares. Google roommate horror stories and you'll find out.

Get yourself an efficiency or studio apartment on your own. You don't need company to have a place to eat, sleep and watch TV.
Exactly what I have.

Quiet, clean, and in a great neighborhood.

I have horror stories just from checking places out with housemates!
`
Had to move this past September 1 when the apartment I was renting for 5.5 years was sold. A big corporation took over the development and priced me right out. I found a place at half of what I would have paid had I stayed.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 8,505 times
Thanks everyone for the comments. I think I've got it all sorted out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting