Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:19 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,748,914 times

Advertisements

I was just screening a potential tenant today. I asked about smoking - and they said they'd smoke outside. I explained that there was no smoking allowed anywhere on the property, that they'd have to go out to the sidewalk to do it, and they said they would. Then I said, "We're very strict about this. We have evicted people in the past for smoking in their apartment." The response was, "You would evict me for smoking in my apartment? That's crazy. I'm not interested."

So yes, some LLs are serious about this, and most people who say they'll smoke outside, are lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:55 AM

22,237 posts, read 29,269,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I was just screening a potential tenant today. I asked about smoking - and they said they'd smoke outside. I explained that there was no smoking allowed anywhere on the property, that they'd have to go out to the sidewalk to do it, and they said they would. Then I said, "We're very strict about this. We have evicted people in the past for smoking in their apartment." The response was, "You would evict me for smoking in my apartment? That's crazy. I'm not interested."

So yes, some LLs are serious about this, and most people who say they'll smoke outside, are lying.
Sounds like you dodged a total bullet there.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:49 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,384,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The ones who refuse would be the ones you do not want anyway, I suspect. Those who are looking for a drug free place to live would probably be happy to comply.

You do not have to personally be involved with collecting a sample, usually urine. Send them to the lab that does the test and the specimen is collected there.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I would think the utter opposite- wow this must be a terrible place if it requires drug tests to get a lease, must be lots of shady people around here.

I never smoke or do drugs but I absolutely would not consent to a drug test to rent an apartment. I suspect I'm not alone.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 PM

384 posts, read 227,879 times
I hope they evict the lease-breaking smoker. They are plenty other lease violations that will get somebody tossed so why not that one? Nobody ever got cancer from second hand dog barking...yet the smoker is allowed to remain? Bogus!!

In the meanwhile, are you familiar with Ozium? It's hospital grade air sanitizer. A $79 hepa filter from Target is also a good investment even if the obnoxious lease violating smokers leave the premises.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:06 PM

384 posts, read 227,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

Stopping smoking is hard to do and for me it took my doctor saying I was in danger of heart failure if I didn't quit, so I had to take drastic measures. The addiction is strong though.
And why has stopping gotten so hard over the years...

WASHINGTON, DC – Design changes and chemical additives introduced by tobacco companies in recent decades have made cigarettes more addictive
https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/pres...4_06_23_report

Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 PM

450 posts, read 1,201,271 times
the leasing manager claims she went in unannounced with maintenance...and didn't smell anything..I dont believe that anyways I gave my notice to vacate and now she tells me the person is moving out the end of February so I rescinded my notice to vacate. As I am typing I can smell the smoke. The manager also claims she served her with a lease violation but the lady denied smoking and claims she us a nurse who gets drugged test ever week haha yea right. I guess this person is just being a *****. I think she enjoys hearing me coughing up my lungs. I hate to be mean but I hopefully she gets a neighbor that gets on her last nerve.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:57 PM

13,113 posts, read 20,856,336 times
As an FYI, always check your state or municipal codes related to smoking in a multi-family complex. If state, county or local laws make it a violation, don't hesitate to file a formal complaint with the enforcing agency against the landlord/property manager for not abiding by the law.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:23 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,256,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
the leasing manager claims she went in unannounced with maintenance...and didn't smell anything..I dont believe that anyways I gave my notice to vacate and now she tells me the person is moving out the end of February so I rescinded my notice to vacate. As I am typing I can smell the smoke. The manager also claims she served her with a lease violation but the lady denied smoking and claims she us a nurse who gets drugged test ever week haha yea right. I guess this person is just being a *****. I think she enjoys hearing me coughing up my lungs. I hate to be mean but I hopefully she gets a neighbor that gets on her last nerve.
I worked at a nonprofit that did spontaneous mandatory drug testing, because we worked with vulnerable adults, and was never tested for cigarettes, just drugs. Can they even test for cigarettes? I always passed the tests, lol.

I'm glad your problem will soon end. Hopefully they will be more careful with the next tenant.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:35 PM

13,661 posts, read 12,341,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The ones who refuse would be the ones you do not want anyway, I suspect. Those who are looking for a drug free place to live would probably be happy to comply.

You do not have to personally be involved with collecting a sample, usually urine. Send them to the lab that does the test and the specimen is collected there.
No, i don't smoke, but no way am I consenting to that invasion of my privacy for a rental. I don't even know if it would be legal?

Old 01-22-2020, 01:36 PM

13,661 posts, read 12,341,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I worked at a nonprofit that did spontaneous mandatory drug testing, because we worked with vulnerable adults, and was never tested for cigarettes, just drugs. Can they even test for cigarettes? I always passed the tests, lol.

I'm glad your problem will soon end. Hopefully they will be more careful with the next tenant.
Nicotine, but not cigs specifically. They'd have no way to tell if you used a smokeless tobacco product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting