Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:08 AM

15 posts, read 30,900 times

Advertisements

Not computer saavy obviously.

Do I fill out the attachment online and then just add/type in my name where it says signature?

Thanks!

Last edited by HappyB; 05-27-2015 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: forgot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
It's going to depend on what type of document it is and what kind of protection exists in the document. Worst case, you print it, sign it, scan it and email it back.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyB View Post
Not computer saavy obviously.

Do I fill out the attachment online and then just add/type in my name where it says signature?

Thanks!
Have you seen the place yet, if you have not don't sign.

Ask him what he wants, you might be able to do an electronic signature, but it you have a printer with a scanner the best way if to do what the previous person said, other wise print it out, sign it, make a copy for yourself and hand it in person or by mail.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:34 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't know what your landlord wants, but I am a landlord and I need a real signature in order to run a credit report.

Ask your landlord if you can print it off, fill it out, and FAX it back. FAX signature is legal, if you both agree to accept it as legal.

Personally, I'd be a bit worried about sending so much personal information through the email. Email is a lot less secure than where I'd want to be sending all my personal information, all suitable for identity theft. Hackers seem to get into email pretty easily.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Electronic signatures are legal. I used to just have my applicants (who were not local) to send me an email giving me permission to run their credit. This is the real reason for having a signature on an application, at least in CA. You need a signature to run the credit. But, it doesn't have to be in wet ink.

Oregonwoodsmoke makes a good point about sending sensitive info via email, though I never worried about it. You could always fill it out and take it to a local mailbox/office service store and get them to fax it for you.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
When I went apt hunting 7 yrs ago I printed the Applications filled them out personally returned them 1 gave me a chance to see location Meet the LL IF I didn't like it or they rejected me ...didn't except Section 8 I didn't hand them over. Ones I didn't like I never even got out of my van.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 30,900 times
Thank you all for your replies.

I actually met with her in person and saw the place. Not taking it.
Thank you all!

Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,896 times
Just for future reference,

Turboscan app on your smartphone. Print the app, sign, take a picture with turboscan (it turns the image into a .pdf), email back. Done.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,324 times
Default Re: Emailing Leasing App

I know this thread is a few years old, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

If anyone is sending you a lease application via email, and wanting you to email it back then they are probably someone you should run away from as fast as possible. If they are local, hand them the application in person. You don't email anything that has your bank account number or social on it. Email is not secure in any way, shape, or form and you should always assume your emails are being intercepted by shady folks on the other side of the globe. I don't even recommend faxing such things these days, as a large majority of the fax numbers in use now are not true landline faxes, and are just services that accepts the fax, and then email it to the recipient on your behalf. Again, unsecure.

I am the Technology Manager for a large property management company here in DFW and even when we were a very small firm we would never ask for an app via email. To be honest, it's not entirely legal to do so. We use services such as DocuSign to issue the lease and allow you to sign it securely. Those leases are stored in DocuSign's secure cloud, in an encrypted format. This means your social and personal info are not going back and forth across unsecure channels. In fact, they never leave DocuSign's secure server.

Trust me, you don't want to deal with ID theft of this nature. Once your social AND identifying information is exposed, it's out there, and requires constant monitoring, until you die.

Old 01-17-2020, 06:44 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,338 times
Print it, sign it and send it to the landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting