Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 06:18 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiloxs View Post
Sure, but the management company can also be helpful and list using the actual availabile date. I provided an update for the helpful people on this thread.

Also, the friend in quotes is obnoxious. I'm not in this situation, if that's what you're implying. Some of us actually do have friends.
They are using the actual available date, as has been pointed out - 3/1 is not that date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 07:06 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
not gonna be easy finding someone to move in 3/1 unless they've already given notice to their previous LL.

so most likely, you'll get someone to move in some time between 3/1 and 4/1

You'll find that people want to secure a place before giving notice to their current LL.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:29 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
What I don't understand is if 50 days is 3/1, how is 60 days 4/1... wouldn't 60 days be 3/10.

Some states require notice to include a full rental period. That's their law.

Also OP's lease might specify notice must be by the full rental period. They missed the notice date that would get them out by 3/1.

Myself, I will not advertise an vacancy until it is vacant, repaired, and clean. There is no guarantee that the tenants will be completely moved out by the end of their notice and there is most certainly no guarantee that they will leave it move-in ready.

It's rather common for tenants to not be out for a couple of days after the date they have given me and it is also common for a house to need cleaning or repairs after they move out.

I don't want to show a dirty house to an applicant because then they think that I am OK with the condition of the house.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:36 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Our properties are in a hot rental market with applicants willing to view and commit 30-60 days before taking possession. Often because they need to give 30-60 days’ notice on their active leases. However, I do give myself 2 weeks between departing tenants and new ones. So all my leases start on either the 1st or the 15th of the month.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't want to show a dirty house to an applicant because then they think that I am OK with the condition of the house.

When I was renting a few years ago, none of the apartments I viewed would show a unit before make-ready was complete. I much prefer to see the actual unit I will rent, not a model or even something "similar". There were a few times a place was on my A list but even though the unit I would be in was vacant, they would not show it to me no matter what.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I've broken leases twice in the past few years, and both times, I posted the unit myself and found the replacement tenant. I lost nothing either time. However, this is only 1 months' rent- probably not worth the effort.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
When I was renting a few years ago, none of the apartments I viewed would show a unit before make-ready was complete. I much prefer to see the actual unit I will rent, not a model or even something "similar". There were a few times a place was on my A list but even though the unit I would be in was vacant, they would not show it to me no matter what.
The large complexes here will show you their Model unit, and try to get you to commit to one and leave a deposit, and you don't get to see the "real" one until some time after that tenant has gone.

Then of course, the "real" unit is never as nice as the model one.

Old 02-02-2020, 06:31 AM

784 posts, read 729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
More important than what the landlord is doing, is how clean the place is when showing. A cluttered place, with lots of cleaning to do, will not get rented even if the landlord put in a heroic effort.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:46 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
The landlord has to find a qualified tenant, not just anyone that comes along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting