Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 06:49 PM

21 posts, read 20,429 times

Advertisements

I don't know why so many people here don't seem to understand the Nevada contractor's licensing board knows what they are talking about. But whatever.

I have since learned about the "nevada handyman exclusion," and it DOES NOT include plumbing or electrical work. What a lot of handymen do here, is get a business license, then try to claim that that is contractor's license.

To that one person who actually answered my question: Thank you. I will say nothing to my landlord, but will pursue reporting the handyman to the contractors board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 11:18 PM

13,061 posts, read 20,727,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taviaromescu View Post
I don't know why so many people here don't seem to understand the Nevada contractor's licensing board knows what they are talking about. But whatever.
Under the provisions of NRS 624, the person is exempt from licensing. I'm not sure what you asked or how you phrased the question to the NSCB, but the correct information is the person performed routine maintenance and did not engage in "plumbing" as defined by the law.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:50 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,100,632 times
Quote:

I have since learned about the "nevada handyman exclusion," and it DOES NOT include plumbing or electrical work. What a lot of handymen do here, is get a business license, then try to claim that that is contractor's license.

To that one person who actually answered my question: Thank you. I will say nothing to my landlord, but will pursue reporting the handyman to the contractors board.
Why Not let the LL know then he can Hire some one to do this job. Like a Real Plumber. You just want to cause trouble other wise

Old 02-25-2020, 08:21 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,120,239 times
Quote:
Thank you for admitting right out that you did not give a very good answer!

I meant that it is a crime on the part of the handyman. I have reported him. I want to know if the RE managers are required to use licensed contractors. That is a different issue. Reading comprehension!
You need to check your state laws. In California, a handyman can do anything up to a dollar limit of I believe it’s $600? Might be $500. And then you have to get a licensed contractor. This includes plumbing. A handyman can do plumbing if the repair us under $600.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:10 AM

4,513 posts, read 2,491,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You need to check your state laws. In California, a handyman can do anything up to a dollar limit of I believe it’s $600? Might be $500. And then you have to get a licensed contractor. This includes plumbing. A handyman can do plumbing if the repair us under $600.
The NV code was posted on prior page...work under 1000. Can be performed by an unlicensed person.

OP sounds like the type of tenant that the LL won't be renewing lease...

Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,231,997 times
Quote:
I live in a rented condo, and my RE manager recently sent an unlicensed contractor to do plumbing work in my unit. I am reporting that company to the Nevada state contractors board, but I'd like to know if RE managers are allowed to do this on properties that they lease.

I used to live in a corporate-owned apartment complex, and they always used their half-trained unprofessional maintenance workers as much as they could. They did hire professionals when they had to.

I consider that since it is a crime to do unlicensed plumbing work, that makes this guy a criminal, and I don't appreciate having a criminal sent into my dwelling. Thanks for your thoughts.
Jesus...there is absolutely nothing criminal about what you’re describing. Anything under a certain amount (usually $500/$1000) can be considered casual or minor in nature does not require a Contractor License in Nevada. Things done by a handyman,
Please stop being a fool and understand the law before you go off half cocked and report someone for doing something legal.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,579,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
The NV code was posted on prior page...work under 1000. Can be performed by an unlicensed person.

OP sounds like the type of tenant that the LL won't be renewing lease...
Seriously. I doubt that this work cost more than $1K. When I had a new water heater put in a few years ago, it was well under that, including the cost of a new water heater and disposal of the old one. The actual plumbing work itself was pretty minimal.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:13 PM

13,061 posts, read 20,727,403 times
Just to clarify NV laws so we are not feeding into t e OP's desire to show us up.

In NV there is NO exception for a handyman who does electrical or plumbing work. The dollar threshold applies to work in general but would not apply to work that specifically requires a license regardless of the amount of work being performed.

However, the OP is ridiculously wrong in their definition of "Plumbing Work" under NV law. The mere fact a person touched a pipe or does something related to plumbing does not mean it meets the legal definition of "Plumbing work". The OP needs to learn the meaning of plumbing work.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:58 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,169,658 times
Well, if you look back at the OP's string of posts, I think you can draw your own conclusions about the kind of tenant we're talking about here.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:08 AM

13,634 posts, read 12,262,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just to clarify NV laws so we are not feeding into t e OP's desire to show us up.

In NV there is NO exception for a handyman who does electrical or plumbing work. The dollar threshold applies to work in general but would not apply to work that specifically requires a license regardless of the amount of work being performed.

However, the OP is ridiculously wrong in their definition of "Plumbing Work" under NV law. The mere fact a person touched a pipe or does something related to plumbing does not mean it meets the legal definition of "Plumbing work". The OP needs to learn the meaning of plumbing work.
Good Point. In North Carolina, replacing a toilet would be about a $350 job depending on the toilet and wouldn't require a permit. It WOULD require a plumber. You wouldn't need a plumber to unclog a drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting