Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 11:55 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
This is a 14 day pay or quit notice. Isn't this just a document the landlord creates to give notice? I may be wrong but that wouldn't be considered a legal notice from the courts, correct?
I think the new law makes a landlord who is giving a lease notice to the tenant adhere to the same methods of delivery as they would have to do for a court notice. The court notices can't be served by the landlord but a "pay your bill", "non renewal", "stop doing that" types of landlord notices to tenants can be personally delivered by the landlord. However, because the terminology used is confusing, you should verify this with an attorney familiar with the new law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 03:28 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
demand letters for rent in ny are legal documents .

HOW ARE LEGAL PAPERS DELIVERED? The Notice of Petition and Petition and a written Rent Demand must be given to you the right way. This is called service. The person who served the papers must swear how they were given to you in an Affidavit of Service.

The landlord/owner handed the papers to me, is that ok? No, the landlord/owner can’t serve the papers. Someone who is 18 or older - not the landlord/owner - can hand legal papers to you. This is called personal delivery.

The papers were given to someone else to give to me, is that ok? Maybe. Legal papers can be given to someone who lives or works in your home, this is called substituted delivery. Papers left with a neighbor or doorman are not served the right way.

The person the papers are left with must be responsible and likely to give you the papers. This person does not have to be an adult but it should not be a small child.
Papers also must be mailed to you.

The papers were left on my door, is that ok? Maybe. Legal papers can be left on or under your door as long as the landlord/owner has first made two attempts to find you at home. Papers also must be mailed to you. This is called conspicuous place delivery or nail and mail.

I only got the papers by mail, is that ok? No. Before copies of the papers are mailed to you by regular and certified mail, someone must go to your home and leave a copy of the papers: • with someone who lives or works in your home, or • on or under your door.

I didn’t get any papers by mail, is that ok? Maybe. If the papers were handed to you in person, a copy of the papers doesn’t have to be mailed. If the papers were left for you, copies of the papers must be mailed by regular and certified mail.

You can ask the Clerk for a copy of the Affidavit of Service to see how the

Old 02-18-2020, 01:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
O.K., I stand corrected. I just spoke tot he legal dept at our PMC and they confirmed what mathjak said about the landlord serving legal papers. The confusion is that a landlord can give the tenant a demand for payment but that demand can't be the basis of legal proceedings. In other words, the landlord can hand the tenant a demand but if the tenant does not comply and the landlord decides to go the court route, they would need to serve a new demand following the court process.

They said that landlords often are successful or at least gets the tenant communicating with them when they get some notice. But, if the tenants ignores it, the formal route will be required. This was why they suggested to just do it as if your going to court the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
demand letters for rent in ny are legal documents .

HOW ARE LEGAL PAPERS DELIVERED? The Notice of Petition and Petition and a written Rent Demand must be given to you the right way. This is called service. The person who served the papers must swear how they were given to you in an Affidavit of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting