Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 432 times

Advertisements

My roommate wants to kick me out of the house, due to false information, that can not be proven by either party (A s/he said- s/he said type of situation). His name is on the lease, and mine is not however, I have given him a year's worth of rent already, can I get that back from him? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 06:41 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
My roommate wants to kick me out of the house

Wants to? What has he done toward that goal? Sayso? Written notice? Deadline date? Something else?

And what state?

His name is on the lease, and mine is not

Then he is not your roommate. He is your landlord and you are his tenant.

I have given him a year's worth of rent already,

In advance? Or have you lived there a year? Is there a written lease of any specific duration? Anything in writing as to the tenancy? Nothing?

can I get that back from him?

Can't answer that without the answers to the questions.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:48 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_19 View Post
My roommate...I have given him a year's worth of rent already,
can I get that back from him?
a) why would you pay for a year in advance?
b) does the lease contract say anything about when/if you change your mind on that?

Old 03-15-2020, 09:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
Do you have proof of this rent payment (assuming you've paid a year ahead)?

Old 03-16-2020, 11:08 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I would say that if you have paid a year in advance and have not yet used the rent and your roommate won't allow you to live there that he should return the unused rent.

Whether or not you can actually get the rent back or not is another story. The landlord is not going to give it to you. You must get it from the tenant you sub-rented from.

I hope you have good documentation and I hope you can figure what the life lesson is here and can learn from it.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_19 View Post
My roommate wants to kick me out of the house, due to false information, that can not be proven by either party (A s/he said- s/he said type of situation). His name is on the lease, and mine is not however, I have given him a year's worth of rent already, can I get that back from him? Thank you for your help.
He is your LL . You are subleasing from him.

If you prepaid and he wants to give you notice to vacate he needs to pay you back the unused portion of the prepaid rent.

PS you never repay that far in advance.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:58 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,156 times
Do you have proof of your pre-payment to him? Check cleared, receipt he wrote, etc.

Hope you didn't pay in cash.

How long have you lived there, if at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting