Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 11:53 AM

13,057 posts, read 7,491,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I have been renting my place since 2014..my above the stove microwave recently died (it's very old) and my landlord basically said "I'm not going to replace that"...I get that landlords don't have to make upgrades but this is now a dead piece of equipment sitting above her stove lol. I have my own microwave so I don't really care and I plan on moving in the next six months anyway.
Is the MW over the range have a bad latch?
These range MW & Hoods are not cheap to purchase. Fairly easy to replace. The best MW are standalones. Hoods are better if also standalones. We will never replace a MW range hood. Prone to breakdowns. We had two go out in our own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 12:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,454,216 times
I've always been a renter and I have always rented from corporate owned apartment complexes. I have not rented from individual owners because I perceive greater risk in that.

While my apartment complex sent a notice to tenants about rent payments that was more subdued in tone than this message sent out by a Las Vegas apartment complex, it had the same underlying message.

As a renter of apartment units from a corporate entities, I am more shielded from the owner's individual financial problems. I have also felt that it is more organized than renting from an individual. A lot of people rent from individual owners. That tends to be the case more when people rent single family homes as compared to renting multifamily units as I have done.

In this time of pandemic and Great Depression style job losses, the corporate multifamily property owners are taking a "Skrew You, Pay Me!" attitude towards their tenants, which is completely abhorrent. I have seen landlords in this thread taking that atrocious viewpoint. I have seen it with my own complex and stories abound on the internet of this behavior. The tenant is generally getting screwed here. As a result, tenants have no goodwill towards their landlords. Tenants have lost a larger percentage of their incomes than multifamily operators have. The landlord is more able to absorb a financial across thousands of units. This is why I think tenants should get up to one year of rent relief government subsidized on the condition of a job loss. It can take up to one year to replace a job.

In general, even in individual to individual renting scenarios, I side more with the tenant and I favor long moratoriums on evictions and/or rent relief/forgiveness. The landlord usually has a day job and other income streams.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I've always been a renter and I have always rented from corporate owned apartment complexes. I have not rented from individual owners because I perceive greater risk in that.

While my apartment complex sent a notice to tenants about rent payments that was more subdued in tone than this message sent out by a Las Vegas apartment complex, it had the same underlying message.

As a renter of apartment units from a corporate entities, I am more shielded from the owner's individual financial problems. I have also felt that it is more organized than renting from an individual. A lot of people rent from individual owners. That tends to be the case more when people rent single family homes as compared to renting multifamily units as I have done.

In this time of pandemic and Great Depression style job losses, the corporate multifamily property owners are taking a "Skrew You, Pay Me!" attitude towards their tenants, which is completely abhorrent. I have seen landlords in this thread taking that atrocious viewpoint. I have seen it with my own complex and stories abound on the internet of this behavior. The tenant is generally getting screwed here. As a result, tenants have no goodwill towards their landlords. Tenants have lost a larger percentage of their incomes than multifamily operators have. The landlord is more able to absorb a financial across thousands of units. This is why I think tenants should get up to one year of rent relief government subsidized on the condition of a job loss. It can take up to one year to replace a job.

In general, even in individual to individual renting scenarios, I side more with the tenant and I favor long moratoriums on evictions and/or rent relief/forgiveness. The landlord usually has a day job and other income streams.

And exactly how do you expect to a landlord to pay their mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance, gas, electric, water, sewer....ect?

Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
And exactly how do you expect to a landlord to pay their mortgage, taxes, insurance, maintenance, gas, electric, water, sewer....ect?
Exactly. So many renters think that landlords are all rich, own the property outright, and also many are unaware of the expenses incurred in owning property.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:15 PM

13,057 posts, read 7,491,199 times
Quote:
...snip

This is a sure path to a D class apartment building, abandonment and a slum neighborhood. Or a complete teardown and rebuild to higher paying properties.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
My condo is corporate managed.
Here is what they have done:
Waived late fee. Set up payment plans.
Ensured that they abide by the three basics of emergency calls: water,HVAC, fire safety.
They have furloughed two maint. Members and now have closed the local office. Ironically thru all this we get a association letter stating for the month of April all condo members have paid on time. So they are certainly still getting all their funds (business as usual) with the pleasure of less management costs.
Each resident pays their own electric,water,heat. Our county is giving leniency on business tax for multi unit residency. So they aren't needing to pay that for now. I don't see them hurting.

Now come May who knows.

Our residents here though are seeing an uptick in our trash accumulation. So we might get hit with the fee to add on another trash collection day. Staying home means more waste per person.

I've zero pity for landlords. They get tax breaks and love to play the contract game with tenants. One word puts them in the upper hand in the lease. Upcharging tenants is lining their pockets...

Only one resident did the leave in the middle of the night ..packed up and hightailed it to gosh knows where. I think the manager has a blessing in disguise. They were a nuisance. We will know next month as we get the report . I'll dance in the streets

Old 04-10-2020, 05:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,454,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Exactly. So many renters think that landlords are all rich, own the property outright, and also many are unaware of the expenses incurred in owning property.
Landlords generally treat their tenants like dog poop. I am offended by the attitude that my corporate landlord has taken towards tenants who need rent relief in this crisis.

Landlords are generally richer than tenants. Tenants need protection. If a tenant loses a job, they lose 100% of their income. If a landlord has a tenant not pay due to employment loss and there's rent relief/eviction protection, that would really only apply to 20-30% of tenants in a Great Depression 3 scenario like this. Landlords are still collecting from 70-80% of units. Tenants deserve rent relief of up to 1 year upon loss of a job.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
My condo is corporate managed.
Here is what they have done:
Waived late fee. Set up payment plans.
Ensured that they abide by the three basics of emergency calls: water,HVAC, fire safety.
They have furloughed two maint. Members and now have closed the local office. Ironically thru all this we get a association letter stating for the month of April all condo members have paid on time. So they are certainly still getting all their funds (business as usual) with the pleasure of less management costs.
Each resident pays their own electric,water,heat. Our county is giving leniency on business tax for multi unit residency. So they aren't needing to pay that for now. I don't see them hurting.

Now come May who knows.

Our residents here though are seeing an uptick in our trash accumulation. So we might get hit with the fee to add on another trash collection day. Staying home means more waste per person.

I've zero pity for landlords. They get tax breaks and love to play the contract game with tenants. One word puts them in the upper hand in the lease. Upcharging tenants is lining their pockets...

Only one resident did the leave in the middle of the night ..packed up and hightailed it to gosh knows where. I think the manager has a blessing in disguise. They were a nuisance. We will know next month as we get the report . I'll dance in the streets

I, as a private landlord/occupant in a two family home, get zero tax breaks. My mortgage, taxes and insurance are still due. Losing rent for more than 1 month would be devastating. I also do not "play games" with my tenant. My monthly housing expenses come out to approximately $2700.00 a month with my tenant only paying $1300.00 a month. Thank God I have great tenants who appreciate me and know how hard it can be for ALL of us. This month, they actually asked it they can pay a few months in advance to help me and my husband out since we are both on furlough until who knows when.

I find your comments to be quite offensive and ignorant.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Landlords generally treat their tenants like dog poop. I am offended by the attitude that my corporate landlord has taken towards tenants who need rent relief in this crisis.

Landlords are generally richer than tenants. Tenants need protection. If a tenant loses a job, they lose 100% of their income. If a landlord has a tenant not pay due to employment loss and there's rent relief/eviction protection, that would really only apply to 20-30% of tenants in a Great Depression 3 scenario like this. Landlords are still collecting from 70-80% of units. Tenants deserve rent relief of up to 1 year upon loss of a job.

Even more offensive and ignorant. Only a very entitled tenant would think this way and try to take advantage of a very bad situation. bTW...have you ever even owned property?

Old 04-10-2020, 06:40 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:

It isn't up to a landlord to supply tenants with social services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting