Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 02:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

Bad renters don’t get better with excuses -the state has declared war on property owners
They see us as the financial solution to the problems they have created
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 04:53 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
I don't understand this logic, I had a company email me earlier in the week with suggestions of what to do for tenants that included half rent for the next few months. Homeowners aren't getting anything more than waived late fees yet renters think they are some special case they deserve something.

I'll delay late fees but I won't waive them entirely, other than that until my mortgage halts interest accrual there's not much I can do, interest is something like $25+ a day on average across my mortgaged properties.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
OP, your location says SoCal. If you happen to be in Los Angeles, Mayor Garcetti today put a moratorium on evictions for renters.

Not sure how that works exactly, and if you have to pay back the missed rent sometime later? Or do you just skip paying rent one or two months. and you don't owe it later... I mean it would be hard to pay two months of rent later on?? Just wondering how it would work.
Of course you gotta pay it back. He actually said it’s not rent forgiveness. You just can’t be evicted but you still owe the rent. I’m sure some will use that as a excuse to “get back at the landlord “

As for me......I’m willing to work with a tenant a month two even three on maybe a reduced rent basis but it won’t be free for al those months or for years. . But I have pretty high standards and I tend to rent to people who have money and good credit. Granted that doesn’t mean a tenant can’t get in financial trouble.

Now dies this means the LL can also get the bank to give him a break? I bet this moratorium doesn’t extend to the LL

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-17-2020 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 07:14 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
OP, your location says SoCal. If you happen to be in Los Angeles, Mayor Garcetti today put a moratorium on evictions for renters.

Not sure how that works exactly, and if you have to pay back the missed rent sometime later? Or do you just skip paying rent one or two months. and you don't owe it later... I mean it would be hard to pay two months of rent later on?? Just wondering how it would work.

Not exactly true. Newsome signed an executive order that simply gave permission to local authorities to place a temporary halt on evictions. It is up to the local authories to to decide if they want to implement the halt.

And yes, the back rent must be paid once the ban is lifted.

https://www.redstate.com/sister-told...ith-governors/

Old 03-17-2020, 09:37 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I'm hoping that my tenants are military or otherwise work for the federal government (I don't know as my property manager dealt with all of that) or otherwise have a steady job that won't be impacted by the coronavirus so that the disruption would be minimum. But my place is in Hawaii, which hasn't been hit too hard (yet) and hopefully will not be hit too hard. Whatever they do for work, its enough to be able to afford a $2,300 a month rent, so I'm hoping that they'll be OK.

All of this is to say that, as of now, I do not plan to offer any relief as I see no need. If my tenants were to lose their jobs and could prove that it was a temporary loss tied to the coronavirus, I would probably try to work with them. Otherwise, I would have my property manager initiate eviction proceedings. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I am not (and cannot afford to) run a charity here. Note, I am not raising the rent when the lease is up for renewal, but this isn't a decision tied to the virus.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 819,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Not exactly true. Newsome signed an executive order that simply gave permission to local authorities to place a temporary halt on evictions. It is up to the local authories to to decide if they want to implement the halt.

And yes, the back rent must be paid once the ban is lifted.

https://www.redstate.com/sister-told...ith-governors/
Yes, I just watched his news conference. Renters don't have to pay rent, through May 31st (so far, that date could get extended even longer), and then have 6 months after that to pay back the rent.

I'm not doing any of this... I was just replying to OP's question. I would pay my rent on time... don't need the hassle or stress of hoping they wouldn't evict me, charge me late payments, etc. I would try to carry on with payments as usual.

Not sure what the landlords are going to do.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:36 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Yes, I just watched his news conference. Renters don't have to pay rent, through May 31st (so far, that date could get extended even longer), and then have 6 months after that to pay back the rent.

I'm not doing any of this... I was just replying to OP's question. I would pay my rent on time... don't need the hassle or stress of hoping they wouldn't evict me, charge me late payments, etc. I would try to carry on with payments as usual.

Not sure what the landlords are going to do.
In certain cities, that is true. It does not cover all of Califorinia though. Same holds true in my state laws f New York.

Tenants will still have to pay he deferred rent. In the mean time, some landlords may lose their homes/building in mortgage default and/or property tax liens.

I see this a weaking the rental market even more in all states.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:31 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
So there isn't any real discussion on what relief landlords are thinking of giving tenants during this tough time where tenants are possibly told to stay home, often times without pay, or reduced working hours.

Although tenants are urged to always have some sort of savings for situations such as these, in reality most tenants do not have enough savings.

As landlords, our expenses definitely do not decrease, or stop, because of this pandemic. But if the tenant cannot pay, what good middle of the road solution can we provide, if any during this time?

Landlords: Any thoughts from you are thinking of providing should a tenant not be able to make next month's rent?

Tenants: Any thoughts on what viable option(s) you would like your landlord to do to help during these tough times (offering free rent is not a viable option - as mentioned, the landlord's expenses does not decrease, or go away because of this situation).

Usually, if a tenant cannot pay the rent, evictions are initiated. But these are not ordinary times and everyone is in need of some reasonable relief during these hard times.
Relief? Why? Can't you work from home? I rent too ok and I'm sure our company isn't giving us a break. But thankfully my husband can work from home.
Get creative ..

Old 03-18-2020, 07:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Bad renters don’t get better with excuses -the state has declared war on property owners
They see us as the financial solution to the problems they have created
Being out of work because you work in a business that is shut down and can't get paid due to a pandemic is not an excuse.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:06 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Being out of work because you work in a business that is shut down and can't get paid due to a pandemic is not an excuse.
I think it is an excuse.

I have not heard anything from my landlord regarding rent relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting