Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 08:28 AM

105,710 posts, read 107,700,939 times

Advertisements

we can't get to first base here with unemployment insurance in nyc ... you can't call them and while they are supposed to call you so far they are so overwhelmed they are not ... this is three weeks now and my application is still not even complete because they tell you someone will call to finish it with you .....

those out there that need the money are in a real bind here the company i work for has been contributing on my behalf for 24 years to ui... so they want me to put a claim in , so i will .. luckily i dont count on that money .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 11:05 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,704,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
True and hilarious. A lot of the smaller landlords, who are the vocal ones on here are likely not in great financial shape. I rent from a corporate entity. They are just bigger bullies than the whiny, entitled ones on here.

It is astounded that even some healthcare workers are getting laid off right now.

As for marketing, I have heard that Google is laying off because they are collecting less ad dollars. If marketers are cutting Google spend, that's big. Google spend is seen as an inexpensive alternative to television.

Decades of recessions have taught us that cutting marketing spend is the worst thing to do in a recession. However, at every downturn, almost every business cuts their marketing/advertising spend.

The ad agencies are getting killed in this. Even the top tier ad agencies (ones owned by the Top 5 holding companies like Publicis, Omnicom, etc) are laying off. The small agencies were laying off before the WHO even declared it in a pandemic on March 11. It takes almost nothing for an ad agency to lay off, even in good times. When one or two clients have budget problems and cut budget, that's when ad agencies lay off.

Internal, corporate marketers are not doing well either.

Everyone that I personally know who is unemployed got their checks already. However, this is not surprising.

Landlords should be supporting the Rep. Omar bill. Agree completely. Maybe the landlords would stop whining if the government made them whole.

Agree completely. On the whole, the tenants are worse off than the landlords. Tenants are the ones who have to interview for new jobs right now, not landlords. Tenants are the ones who should be receiving rent relief subsidies in addition to unemployment.

Why would healthcare workers be getting laid off?

Old 05-03-2020, 11:13 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,997,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Why would healthcare workers be getting laid off?
Many hospitals have stopped doing elective procedures. Many doctor's offices aren't seeing patients.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:28 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,527,493 times
If I was your landlord RJ312, I'd jack up your rent and hassle you for every part of the lease agreement you might be in breach of.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:40 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,807,607 times
^^^^this^^^^

Old 05-03-2020, 12:09 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,406,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
If I was your landlord RJ312, I'd jack up your rent and hassle you for every part of the lease agreement you might be in breach of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
^^^^this^^^^
Based upon your commentary here, it is my perception that both of you give landlords a bad name. I perceive landlords in general in a negative light, but the entitled attitude exhibited in comments from both of you are at a level that I perceive as worse than average.

My current landlord is a corporate entity operating thousands of multifamily units. I do not rent from individuals. Corporate entities have their own pros & cons. The corporate entity owns way too many units to hassle me about anything. I have considered my current corporate entity to be tenant unfriendly in their response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

I believe that my larger corporate entity can absorb non-payment of rent from those affected by a change in employment status due to the Coronavirus.

My personal payment record is splendid.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:28 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,807,607 times
Quote:
Based upon your commentary here, it is my perception that both of you give landlords a bad name. I perceive landlords in general in a negative light, but the entitled attitude exhibited in comments from both of you are at a level that I perceive as worse than average.

My current landlord is a corporate entity operating thousands of multifamily units. I do not rent from individuals. Corporate entities have their own pros & cons. The corporate entity owns way too many units to hassle me about anything. I have considered my current corporate entity to be tenant unfriendly in their response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

I believe that my larger corporate entity can absorb non-payment of rent from those affected by a change in employment status due to the Coronavirus.

As a private small time landlord, i feel no way "entitled". Just trying to make ends meet. As a citizen of NY...i see everday, tenants taking advantage of the pandemic moratoriums. In the end, the landlords will weed out the opportunistic tenants and throw them out on the street where they belong.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I'm actually cool with most of my tenants. There are plenty of times where I could be a hard ass and I haven't done it. But if I had a tenant like you, I'd boot your ass out because why would I want to deal with someone who holds a grudge that much? If you dislike landlords so much, just get your own place my man. In many metros mortgages are still cheaper than your monthly rent, so if you are responsible enough, pull the trigger and put down some roots.

That way there will be one more rental on the market and that'll drive down rent prices for the other tenants. Win win, right?

That's funny that you prefer to rent from a large corporate entity. Whenever I have a vacancy, most of the applicants ask if I'm a management company or if I'm the owner. So in my experience, people prefer to deal directly with the owner.

But keep coming to a landlord forum and crying about free rent and wondering why the landlords don't take you seriously. Maybe you can go live in Ilhan Omar's house while she tries to make her fantasy legislation into a reality. Or keep spamming #CancelRent and then claim it's "only a legislation policy". If that's the case, why are you posting here and not e-mailing your congress person? Obviously #CancelRent is demanding landlords to take a hair cut. That's fine if it's your position, but at least be honest about it.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:43 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,406,220 times
Quote:
Obviously #CancelRent is demanding landlords to take a hair cut. That's fine if it's your position, but at least be honest about it.
I believe landlords should take a hair cut on it if someone draws the short end of the stick. They can afford it.

Tenants are in a more precarious position. I believe that the tenants that do not have an income disruption should continue to pay, but the tenants that suffer job loss should get a pass on rent. Interviewing for jobs in this job market is punishment enough.

The issue of non-payment of rent seems to be a much bigger issue in 2020 than it was 2008-12. In the 2008-12 recession, the big story was the foreclosures. Now, it seems both renters and homeowners are having issues.

Quote:
That's funny that you prefer to rent from a large corporate entity. Whenever I have a vacancy, most of the applicants ask if I'm a management company or if I'm the owner. So in my experience, people prefer to deal directly with the owner.
I rent apartments. A lot of apartment complexes are owned by a corporate entity. I'm dealing with some employee of the corporation. Outside of when I first sign the lease, I typically have little to no communication with the employees. Maintenance orders are submitted online.

I've never dealt with an owner like yourself besides I don't rent the types of properties you likely own. You wouldn't be able to boot me because we would likely never interact.

For better or worse, the corporate entity only cares if I have paid the rent on time. I've done that.

Last edited by RJ312; 05-03-2020 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 03:12 PM

So why not tell the property management that you're not paying rent? You are most likely in one of the many counties with an eviction moratorium going on. Lock arms with your fellow renters and refuse to pay.

I can tell you what is going to happen to those that refuse to pay even 1 cent. They are going to be the first on the chopping block once the moratoriums are lifted. Tenants who refuse to discuss a payment plan or reject discounted rent and pay zero are donezo as far as private landlords go. If you're in a rent controlled apartment in the major metros, you are playing with fire by even entertaining a rent strike.

You can keep whining about landlords being in a better financial situation. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. Giving a rent jubilee will damage REIT ROIs though. Lots of government pensions are invested in those products. The system requires people to pay what their agreed contracts are. You are tugging at a string that is going to unwind an entire financial investment system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting