Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 09:36 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,148 times

Advertisements

So there isn't any real discussion on what relief landlords are thinking of giving tenants during this tough time where tenants are possibly told to stay home, often times without pay, or reduced working hours.

Although tenants are urged to always have some sort of savings for situations such as these, in reality most tenants do not have enough savings.

As landlords, our expenses definitely do not decrease, or stop, because of this pandemic. But if the tenant cannot pay, what good middle of the road solution can we provide, if any during this time?

Landlords: Any thoughts from you are thinking of providing should a tenant not be able to make next month's rent?

Tenants: Any thoughts on what viable option(s) you would like your landlord to do to help during these tough times (offering free rent is not a viable option - as mentioned, the landlord's expenses does not decrease, or go away because of this situation).

Usually, if a tenant cannot pay the rent, evictions are initiated. But these are not ordinary times and everyone is in need of some reasonable relief during these hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 10:23 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,094 times
Providing? We have excellent tenants so perhaps waived late fees and an agreed payment plan should this get worse. And it might. I'm not raising rent either, but that's it.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:25 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,155 times
Until my mortgage company tells me that I do not have to pay them due to the crisis, my tenant will need to contnue to pay rent. Same goes for the utilities that are included with the rent.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:27 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,343,862 times
Agree that if my expenses were lightened I would pass on to tenants. My properties are in Texas and the taxes are outrageous. Huge increases. Every. Single. Year. Same goes for insurance. My rent increase %’s have actually been significantly lower than my increased expense %’s for the past 6 years.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:28 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,777,868 times
I actually posted a warning about this over a month ago on a LL website, that LLs should build up cash reserves, because our tenants who were low level hourly worker weren't gonna be earning anything. I got pooh poohed about it.

Meanwhile, here we are. Many states are suspending evictions and utility shut offs, so LLs are going to have to deal with no rent for as long as it takes for the crisis to pass.

I decided, a couple of months ago (and before we knew that the courts would close), that for our good tenants in our Class C rental properties, we would have to have them pay us back by paying 110% of rent thereafter for as long as it took to pay us back, even if it was going to take two to three years for them to get current. Maybe some would be able to get current by next March, if they get the earned income tax credit.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:40 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Nothing. As with any issue from a tenant, it's their responsibility to come to us as soon as they recognize they will have an issue concerning rent. On a case by case basis, we may grant a temporary exclusion or exemption. Beyond that, rent is due as normal. Fortunately, out rental class and the standards to rent from us are such that it's highly unlikely any of our tenants will be facing financial hardships.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 818,988 times
OP, your location says SoCal. If you happen to be in Los Angeles, Mayor Garcetti today put a moratorium on evictions for renters.

Not sure how that works exactly, and if you have to pay back the missed rent sometime later? Or do you just skip paying rent one or two months. and you don't owe it later... I mean it would be hard to pay two months of rent later on?? Just wondering how it would work.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:35 AM

160 posts, read 125,644 times
I have to have to call my banker. I'll see what kind of mortgage relief he is going to offer me. Then I'll pass that along to my tenants. My guess is myself and my tenants should be prepared to pay in full next month.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,804 times
I am offering nothing my renters are college professors, and they are on spring break, both houses are rented by older tenants who have solld homes and have savings. If that was not the case i would work with my tenants because they have been with me for over 5 years.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:03 PM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
My tenants pay the rent or they don't stay.

I'm not their mother that I have to take care of them no matter what and it isn't my fault if they spend every penny as soon as they get it and haven't put anything away for a rainy day.

They can borrow from their credit card, their relatives, their bank, the pawn shop, before I allow them to borrow large amounts of money from me. They aren't my friends and they aren't my family that I should support them.

My bills don't stop because they never saved anything for emergencies. About 25% of every rent check goes towards property taxes and I bet the county won't stop charging property taxes. The water bill won't stop, the sewer bill won't stop, the garbage collection bill won't stop.

The grocery store isn't going to give them all of their food for free. The gas station isn't going to give them their gasoline for free. Their mother might let them live and eat for free, so they can move back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting