Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 03:42 AM

143 posts, read 177,881 times

Advertisements

For apartment & condo dwellers and homeowners living next to louts:

During this COVID-19 scare, are you feeling trapped around noisy neighbors you strategically left home to escape from, and/or counted on them leaving on weekend nights, etc? It must be fairly common unless human nature did a flip. I've also read about rising domestic incidents as barely-compatible couples stay cooped up.

I think Quiet Hours rules should apply 24/7 even after this thing fades. Obviously not ultra quiet in the day, but it's like speed limits where partial compliance is better than rampant disrespect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Won’t happen. People are allowed to live in their unit. Remember, if you can hear them, there’s a good chance they can hear you. Why aren’t they complaining about your noise?? Because your noise is normal noise expected on shared spaces.

Do you hear your neighbors more? Of course you do. You’re all home and stuck in the house, but expecting them to sit still all day to appease you is unreasonable and unrealistic.

This is a tough time for everyone... so unless they’re violating the lease or local noise ordinances, you’re a going to have to find a way to deal with it.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:58 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Something like these are money well spent in close spaces. Add earplugs in combination with these for added quiet. If they don't completely eliminate the noise, they can dull it to the point that it's much less intrusive. The biggest downside is they aren't very comfortable to sleep in, so they work best when the neighbors are noisy during the day.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-WorkTune...rmu/1000307449

Now, if there's blatant disregard for quiet to the point that they are violating the lease or the law (constant extreme noise or noise late at night), you may need to deal with it, but for mild bouts of inconsideration by selfish and socially clueless neighbors, these really do help.

Update: I'm just now noticing that the OP's post would have been at 3:42 AM Colorado time if my math is correct. Either they are a full fledged night owl or their neighbors are picking about the worst time possible to be noisy.

Last edited by Jowel; 04-04-2020 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-04-2020, 06:59 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Hearing a neighbor take a shower or flush a toilet is normal noise. Hearing a shout or loud TV is totally avoidable. We need to see the other person’s needs (perhaps for semi quiet) rather than just our own. Anyhow that’s how most of us older folks were raised. That works best for a society.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:06 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Yes I have a neighbor who plays his music loud all night... during normal times I think he stays with a girlfriend or something. Thankfully I have a noise machine.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:06 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Hearing a neighbor take a shower or flush a toilet is normal noise. Hearing a shout or loud TV is totally avoidable. We need to see the other person’s needs (perhaps for semi quiet) rather than just our own. Anyhow that’s how most of us older folks were raised. That works best for a society.
This is why I prefer having older neighbors. There are some rare exceptions but my experience has been this is true in about 80%+ of cases.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Yes I have a neighbor who plays his music loud all night... during normal times I think he stays with a girlfriend or something. Thankfully I have a noise machine.
This is noise you should be addressing with your landlord and/or local authorities.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
I live in a quiet area. By 9:30 PM when I take my dogs out to the backyard for the last time it seems the whole area is asleep. it hasn't changed. The only change I noticed about a week ago that there is less traffic on the main road. I used to be able to hear the hum of the cars going by since it's about 1/4 mile away but it's been much quieter. It hasn't gotten any noisier.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:37 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
This is noise you should be addressing with your landlord and/or local authorities.
I don't know which person it is.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 AM

661 posts, read 833,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I would talk to them first, calling authorities is telling them you don;t want to deal directly with them as a last result. As a property manager I can attest some tenants know the system, they know authorities have to hear excessive noise for 15 min, and they are not going to sit around waiting. We had a tenant once that the neighbor called on they knew the laws and had a camera, made it a complete nightmare for their neighbor that called. Nothing the authorities can do unless they hear it, and as soon as they drove up the music went off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting