U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2020, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Upstairs
318 posts, read 290,665 times
Reputation: 1003

Advertisements

I currently live in a large, professionally managed complex and plan to move into a similar type complex on the other side of town. I was required to give a sixty day notice and actually gave a little more than that before Coronavirus was much of a thought. My lease is up 4/27. I knew where I wanted to move and a few weeks ago I applied and was approved at the new location. That lease is supposed to start on 4/15 but is not signed. The apartment is empty and ready for occupancy. I plan to contact them next week about the mechanics of the lease signing and taking possession of the apartment. Things have just started to heat up in our area. A week ago we had fewer than 10 cases and now we have a 100. Went to grocery store yesterday and lots of folks wearing masks. In the best of times I tend to worry and fret. My big fear is there will be some delay in taking possession of new apartment. Earlier in the week I rented a storage locker and was able to do that online without getting close to anyone. For those signing leases now on either side of the transaction, how has the Coronavirus affected things and have there been any unusual delays? Thanks

Last edited by Llep; 04-04-2020 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: More info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2020, 05:05 PM
 
Location: on the wind
11,721 posts, read 5,364,867 times
Reputation: 38546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I currently live in a large, professionally managed complex and plan to move into a similar type complex on the other side of town. I was required to give a sixty day notice and actually gave a little more than that before Coronavirus was much of a thought. My lease is up 4/27. I knew where I wanted to move and a few weeks ago I applied and was approved at the new location. That lease is supposed to start on 4/15 but is not signed. The apartment is empty and ready for occupancy. I plan to contact them next week about the mechanics of the lease signing and taking possession of the apartment. Things have just started to heat up in our area. A week ago we had fewer than 10 cases and now we have a 100. Went to grocery store yesterday and lots of folks wearing masks. In the best of times I tend to worry and fret. My big fear is there will be some delay in taking possession of new apartment. Earlier in the week I rented a storage locker and was able to do that online without getting close to anyone. For those signing leases now on either side of the transaction, how has the Coronavirus affected things and have there been any unusual delays? Thanks
FWIW, it may not have any effect. The place is vacant and ready. Might be a totally different situation if it was occupied. I'd call them and double check to make sure the lease is ready to go into effect on 4/15.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2020, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Riverside Ca
21,704 posts, read 24,154,832 times
Reputation: 34046
I just signed a lease with a new tenant. Met one time. Everything else was phone call and email. I just received the lease the deposit and monthly rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2020, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,816 posts, read 1,322,508 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
My big fear is there will be some delay in taking possession of new apartment.

Call up your new landlord and make sure there isn't any delay and get the lease signed.


What the Corona Virus is doing to anybody else is irrelevant with regard to your new place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2020, 06:04 AM
 
1,004 posts, read 1,112,151 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I just signed a lease with a new tenant. Met one time. Everything else was phone call and email. I just received the lease the deposit and monthly rent.

I did as well although one of those tenants is not the brightest bulb. This person is a healthcare worker and had no PPE whatsoever on. Claims, "use at work", but that's it The other one is a law enforcement officer wearing appropriate PPE. I consider myself lucky to find either of them in these precarious times.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2020, 07:30 AM
 
482 posts, read 193,385 times
Reputation: 535
Get it finalized. You gave notice and have a place available (for now) but haven't even finalized it yet? Do it today before someone else swoops in and takes it. We go on a first come first served basis, so if I had someone sitting on an offered lease and not taking it, it's available to someone else until we have a signed and paid lease at which point they get their keys. Stop dragging your feet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2020, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Riverside Ca
21,704 posts, read 24,154,832 times
Reputation: 34046
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I did as well although one of those tenants is not the brightest bulb. This person is a healthcare worker and had no PPE whatsoever on. Claims, "use at work", but that's it The other one is a law enforcement officer wearing appropriate PPE. I consider myself lucky to find either of them in these precarious times.
I just set up three my buddies two who are cops and one is a doctor with PPE disposable gloves, disposable wipes, disposable 3m M95 masks from my supply and full face respirators with plastic cartridge filters and extra filters and the double stack quick dispose optional filters that go on top of the cartridge.
One told me he has two 3m masks. That’s all they issued to him. No gloves no wipes
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2020, 05:35 AM
 
1,004 posts, read 1,112,151 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I just set up three my buddies two who are cops and one is a doctor with PPE disposable gloves, disposable wipes, disposable 3m M95 masks from my supply and full face respirators with plastic cartridge filters and extra filters and the double stack quick dispose optional filters that go on top of the cartridge.
One told me he has two 3m masks. That’s all they issued to him. No gloves no wipes

Jesus! That is not good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Upstairs
318 posts, read 290,665 times
Reputation: 1003
LL responded to email about lease signing. They have the capability to do it online. They said the lease should be ready to sign online Friday, so it looks like I am good to go. Thanks for the replies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top