Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

A few days after losing his job in March, Paul Gentile was throwing away trash outside his Brooklyn apartment building when he noticed a new sign hanging near the front door.

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, which has brought life to a near standstill in New York City and caused an untold number of people to lose their jobs, tenants in the building did not need to pay April rent, it read.

https://news.yahoo.com/york-landlord...141407892.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 06:54 PM

153 posts, read 83,772 times
Wish he were my landlord

Old 04-05-2020, 06:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candirockstar View Post
Wish he were my landlord
If you’re having problem paying your rent, talk with your landlord. Any sensible landlord is going to work with you; especially if you’re already a good tenant.

Why would they evict you only to be faced with an applicant pool FULL of people who were evicted or lost their due to foreclosure?? None of them would meet their rental criteria... it would be best for them to stick with who they know. That’s what I would do.

We are all in this mess together... this isn’t due to bad life choices and i can’t imagine states allowing thousands and thousands of people to be evicted or foreclosed on. Mortgages can be extended. Leases cannot. But payment plans can and should be put into place to pay any missed rent and if you screw that up, well then you’re on your own.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:29 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
I saw this coming as soon as Wuhan had to go into lockdown. What, people in China have different susceptibility than people here? Nope. I warned my husband that we might have tenants who would not be able to pay for three months or more, and that no judge would evict them in a pandemic. I didn't foresee that the courts would be closed.

Anyway, I figured then that we'd just have to carry them, and afterwards have them pay 110% a month until it was made up, might take 3 years! These are poor people who live paycheck to paycheck. If I could afford to, I'd have done the same thing. Until unemployment and the stimulus checks arrive, people are gonna be in trouble.

So, most of our tenants have paid April rent. Some will be a bit late, and I told them no late fee. I've reached out to all of them. Those that don't respond, but just stop paying rent, we'll file on as soon as the courts open up. But really, the only one who I think is gonna pull that, has been so marginal up until now (inherited tenant when we bought the property) that we already have had to file twice on them, to get them to pay. They've pulled tricks like paying by check on the last day of the grace period, so that rent is effectively being paid 20 days late. I can understand if there's a job loss, paying partial since household still has some SSDI income. But just dropping off the radar, after having been trouble beforehand? Nope.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:58 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I saw this coming as soon as Wuhan had to go into lockdown. What, people in China have different susceptibility than people here? Nope. I warned my husband that we might have tenants who would not be able to pay for three months or more, and that no judge would evict them in a pandemic. I didn't foresee that the courts would be closed.

Anyway, I figured then that we'd just have to carry them, and afterwards have them pay 110% a month until it was made up, might take 3 years! These are poor people who live paycheck to paycheck. If I could afford to, I'd have done the same thing. Until unemployment and the stimulus checks arrive, people are gonna be in trouble.

So, most of our tenants have paid April rent. Some will be a bit late, and I told them no late fee. I've reached out to all of them. Those that don't respond, but just stop paying rent, we'll file on as soon as the courts open up. But really, the only one who I think is gonna pull that, has been so marginal up until now (inherited tenant when we bought the property) that we already have had to file twice on them, to get them to pay. They've pulled tricks like paying by check on the last day of the grace period, so that rent is effectively being paid 20 days late. I can understand if there's a job loss, paying partial since household still has some SSDI income. But just dropping off the radar, after having been trouble beforehand? Nope.

The following is only my opinion:

Former Landlord over 20 years.
I have learned that many people given the chance
seeing a bag of money fall off the back of a truck
will pick it up and stash it under their mattress rather
than return to the police station.

So goes for apartments.
Renters seem to forget that a Landlord is providing shelter from the elements for a fee.
I can only blame New York City and its laws that shield all tenants regardless of history.
New York is the only place I know where I can drop a month's rent and security and live out
the next 10 months without paying a dime before finally getting evicted.

(Sarcasm)
If the New York continues to have it its way setting the rules, landlords will be forced to provide shelter for free..................nuff said.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:46 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

The following is only my opinion:

Former Landlord over 20 years.
I have learned that many people given the chance
seeing a bag of money fall off the back of a truck
will pick it up and stash it under their mattress rather
than return to the police station.

So goes for apartments.
Renters seem to forget that a Landlord is providing shelter from the elements for a fee.
I can only blame New York City and its laws that shield all tenants regardless of history.
New York is the only place I know where I can drop a month's rent and security and live out
the next 10 months without paying a dime before finally getting evicted.

(Sarcasm)
If the New York continues to have it its way setting the rules, landlords will be forced to provide shelter for free..................nuff said.

Thanks to Gov. Cuomo, those NYC laws have been adopted by NYS. Time to move!!!

Old 04-08-2020, 06:06 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I'd have paid him anyway, and I'm sure some of the tenants did... or will.

I'll admit though it's very admirable.

But they should still WANT to pay...

Last edited by jobaba; 04-08-2020 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-10-2020, 05:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candirockstar View Post
Wish he were my landlord
Likewise! My landlord doesn't care about their tenants and sent out a "Skrew You, Pay Us!!" note. Very insensitive given the Great Depression 3 environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting