Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 12:08 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,485 times

Advertisements

There are several factors to consider here:

1. How loud the original sound is.

2. How leaky the walls/ceiling/floor are.

3. How loud it is in your room.

- It has actually been my experience that I do not need the music as loud when I am using surround sound.

- Is the problem the regular sound system, or a subwoofer (deep bass)? Often putting a sound absorber under the subwoofer makes it just as loud in their room, but quieter in your place.

- Any sound over 90 dB-C in your room can be a hearing-loss hazard. You do have the right to no exposure to sounds over 90 dB-C SPL.

- You can't expect total quiet in your room. Usually the sound level must be above 70 dB-B SPL in the air in your room before you can complain.

- You can put sound absorbing materials on your side of the wall. Bookshelves often work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 10:41 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Three options;

One: talk to them and let them know you can hear their sound system and ask them to turn it down or move it

Two: talk to the landlord letting them know you did speak with the neighbor once but it’s an issue again.

Three: do nothing and find yourself going batty because of it.

I’d got for one or two.. with the pandemic we’re all batty enough
Unfortunately your LLs authority stops at the property line. Unless the LL owns the other property where the noise is coming from.

For the most part there is really nothing you can do. All you can do is ask to have the sound turned down

Or

You can get yourself a louder surround sound. Start B-B-B-Base base base battles

Old 12-11-2020, 05:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Unfortunately your LLs authority stops at the property line. Unless the LL owns the other property where the noise is coming from.

For the most part there is really nothing you can do. All you can do is ask to have the sound turned down

Or

You can get yourself a louder surround sound. Start B-B-B-Base base base battles
Yes, but that landlord can make complaint with the HOA or condo association and/or other owner. Or they can call the police however if the police can’t hear it outside they might not do anything.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:02 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,485 times
Note that it is not surround sound that causes the loud bass. It is a subwoofer, which can be there whether or not surround sound is there.

I built my first surround sound system in 1970. But I did not get a subwoofer until 1998. I got it so I could hear sounds below 60 Hz. But I do not have it any louder than the other speakers. That is how it SHOULD be adjusted. Nobody standing outside the house can hear it.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Note that it is not surround sound that causes the loud bass. It is a subwoofer, which can be there whether or not surround sound is there.

I built my first surround sound system in 1970. But I did not get a subwoofer until 1998. I got it so I could hear sounds below 60 Hz. But I do not have it any louder than the other speakers. That is how it SHOULD be adjusted. Nobody standing outside the house can hear it.
But what about those that you share walls with? Can they hear it or better yet, feel it?

Old 03-04-2021, 09:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
But what about those that you share walls with? Can they hear it or better yet, feel it?
Oh yes. It's driving them nuts but they don't want to say anything because they don't want to cause a ruckus.

This is the number one reason I am going to do my damndest never to share walls floors or ceilings with anyone else, ever again.

I have actually been told when complaining about loud noise upstairs, that there was no noise and I couldn't hear it. "Well, then, why do you think I'm up here talking to you?"

Noisemakers always assume anyone who complains is just an old meanie and has it in for anyone who wants to have any fun. Or they're just making it all up, in order to harass. I hate apartments/condos/townhouses/whatever they call them in your location.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:56 AM

9,863 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Some communities have implemented new noise ordinances after virus hit because of all the people staying home.

I know of situations with a upper flow tenant who must have their speakers on the floor because you can hear every low tone/frequency ie all the bass, motor noises, rumbles etc. They also hear alot of thumbs and thuds because they have a wii type game hooked up.

If it's possible try to record it, inform tenant or landlord with recording. If not take to municipal authorities but then it's a neighbor war. And that's the problem in apartments or multi tenant houses.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh yes. It's driving them nuts but they don't want to say anything because they don't want to cause a ruckus.

This is the number one reason I am going to do my damndest never to share walls floors or ceilings with anyone else, ever again.

I have actually been told when complaining about loud noise upstairs, that there was no noise and I couldn't hear it. "Well, then, why do you think I'm up here talking to you?"

Noisemakers always assume anyone who complains is just an old meanie and has it in for anyone who wants to have any fun. Or they're just making it all up, in order to harass. I hate apartments/condos/townhouses/whatever they call them in your location.
You know this and yet you still do it?

Old 03-05-2021, 02:08 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
You know this and yet you still do it?
I don't think he was saying that HE is the noise maker! His comments about the ATTITUDES of noise makers are spot on.

Kim, you asked the poster Troubleshooter if HIS neighbors could hear (if he shares a wall -- that wasn't clear from his post).

Old 03-05-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I don't think he was saying that HE is the noise maker! His comments about the ATTITUDES of noise makers are spot on.

Kim, you asked the poster Troubleshooter if HIS neighbors could hear (if he shares a wall -- that wasn't clear from his post).
Well, crap on a cracker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting