Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

I was looking for some opinions on this..

My neighbors have been using their surround sound more often than usual recently ( like the last six months). I live in a pretty solid concrete building, but I can still hear it. Sometimes it sounds like music, and other times just like an action movie.

When I first heard it a few years ago, I knocked and asked the guy who answered if they were using it..he played dumb and said that he didn’t hear it and he only has one small speaker. I don’t think that’s true

They are the only unit I’m attached to so I’m sure it’s them. I left them a nice note yesterday just saying that it’s rather loud and if they could turn it down because sound really travels (especially rumbling bass sounds). I noticed the note was just stuck on the wall a little later on that day, so they obviously saw it.

Am I being unreasonable? I feel that if the noise is loud enough to hear in another unit, it’s too loud. I’m pretty sure the condo management would agree with me but I don’t want to get them involved...yet.

I personally don’t feel those home theater type systems are suitable when you share walls with people...save that for a private house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 10:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Three options;

One: talk to them and let them know you can hear their sound system and ask them to turn it down or move it

Two: talk to the landlord letting them know you did speak with the neighbor once but it’s an issue again.

Three: do nothing and find yourself going batty because of it.

I’d got for one or two.. with the pandemic we’re all batty enough

Old 04-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Lol yes I left them a note due to the pandemic. I didn’t want to knock and get all in their space.

Am I being unreasonable though? It’s not late at night (that I’ve noticed) and not constant but enough to be annoying.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:10 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I was looking for some opinions on this..

My neighbors have been using their surround sound more often than usual recently ( like the last six months). I live in a pretty solid concrete building, but I can still hear it. Sometimes it sounds like music, and other times just like an action movie.

When I first heard it a few years ago, I knocked and asked the guy who answered if they were using it..he played dumb and said that he didn’t hear it and he only has one small speaker. I don’t think that’s true

They are the only unit I’m attached to so I’m sure it’s them. I left them a nice note yesterday just saying that it’s rather loud and if they could turn it down because sound really travels (especially rumbling bass sounds). I noticed the note was just stuck on the wall a little later on that day, so they obviously saw it.

Am I being unreasonable? I feel that if the noise is loud enough to hear in another unit, it’s too loud. I’m pretty sure the condo management would agree with me but I don’t want to get them involved...yet.

I personally don’t feel those home theater type systems are suitable when you share walls with people...save that for a private house.

Unless they are breaking noise ordinance laws, there isn't anything you can do.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:17 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Buy a decibel meter. Hold it to the wall where the sound is loudest.

Over 80 and you have reason to complain.

Under 80, you don't.

https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

Old 04-05-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Lol yes I left them a note due to the pandemic. I didn’t want to knock and get all in their space.

Am I being unreasonable though? It’s not late at night (that I’ve noticed) and not constant but enough to be annoying.
No you’re not and there is something you can do. They can turn their system down.: this isn’t water running or toilets flushing.. this is nuisance noise.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:48 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Depends on your municipality. In Charlotte, the level is 60 db between units. So, you need to read your local noise ordinances as it applies to residential noise transfer.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Unless they are breaking noise ordinance laws, there isn't anything you can do.
Or violating the lease.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:12 PM

I don’t currently have a lease but the condo by laws are pretty specific about disturbing noises etc.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I don’t currently have a lease but the condo by laws are pretty specific about disturbing noises etc.
Well, there ya go. While they may not be breaking any noise laws, they could be violating the lease and/or HOA bylaws. So all this talk about decibel is all fine and dandy for when you’re calling the police, but you’re not at that point. Call your management office and talk to someone about it.

Do they have a lease or are both of you owners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting