Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 4,614 times

Advertisements

So my lease was up last week. I have 2 numbers to call- one being the company that owns my building, which is in another state and will never ever ever ever answer the phone, and a mystery number that might or might not be to the property manager, but magically appeared on our building's main sign two days ago. Neither number works/gets me a person or will even let me leave a message, and I've been trying repeatedly each day since the beginning of last week, as nobody has gotten in touch with me about renewing or telling me to leave. (The old property manager would have sent me a notice two months ago and this would have been handled, ugh)

Long story short: lease is up, I'm still living there, what...am I supposed to do? I want to renew, so it's easy, but without anyone to contact, do I just hold May's payment and see what happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 11:12 PM

1,350 posts, read 818,426 times
Do you have a copy of your lease? It might say that once your one year lease is up, you automatically become month to month.

Pay your May rent as usual. Keep trying to contact them. Does the property management company have a website? There should be an e-mail address on their website.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:30 AM

10 posts, read 4,614 times
Lease says nothing about continuity (and the lease was grandfathered in as two days after I moved in, the complex was bought out and our property manager vanished off the face of the earth, as well as everyone's security deposits and any records kept.of who lives where, etc) the choice has always been up to the tenant. But this new company that owns us I swear is run from someone's mother's basement.

There is an email available, but it has also never been answered any time I try. There isn't even a door I can go bang on about this. I guess you're right and all I can do is keep calling

Old 04-21-2020, 05:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Long story short: lease is up, I'm still living there, what...am I supposed to do?
I want to renew, so it's easy, but without anyone to contact...
You don't need to renew. Almost no one but the PM benefits from them
But you DO need to have a reliable means to contact the LL/Owner or their PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Pay your May rent as usual. Keep trying to contact them.
Or DON'T pay the May rent as usual.
Mail in a token amount ($10?) with a letter inviting them to Call you with contact information.

Old 04-21-2020, 05:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Either go month to month and continue to pay your rent . Is they want an annual lease, they will contact you. Or you could send a certified notice of renewal and wait for them to contact you. Just don’t stop paying rent.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:05 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
What a mess. Imagine the disaster if a water pipe breaks. With your payment send a nice letter demanding a 24/7 contact method for emergency repairs. Make a photocopy. In the memo of the check write “see attached letter”. Hopefully the addressee is not injured or too sick to respond.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:21 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
This is why you NEVER rent any place where you don't have face to face contact with either a landlord or on-site leasing consultant/property manager that has set leasing office hours.

My landlord is easy to find, because he lives just downstairs from me.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:32 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenEden View Post
So my lease was up last week. I have 2 numbers to call- one being the company that owns my building, which is in another state and will never ever ever ever answer the phone, and a mystery number that might or might not be to the property manager, but magically appeared on our building's main sign two days ago. Neither number works/gets me a person or will even let me leave a message, and I've been trying repeatedly each day since the beginning of last week, as nobody has gotten in touch with me about renewing or telling me to leave. (The old property manager would have sent me a notice two months ago and this would have been handled, ugh)

Long story short: lease is up, I'm still living there, what...am I supposed to do? I want to renew, so it's easy, but without anyone to contact, do I just hold May's payment and see what happens?
No, send in May's payment the same as Aprils if they don't contact you.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:35 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You don't need to renew. Almost no one but the PM benefits from them
But you DO need to have a reliable means to contact the LL/Owner or their PM.

Or DON'T pay the May rent as usual.
Mail in a token amount ($10?) with a letter inviting them to Call you with contact information.
Why be difficult though? I mean, all that contact and resigning is going to do is offer them a chance to raise the rent. If they're making themselves scarce to you, why make yourself easily available to them?

Old 04-21-2020, 09:00 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Pay the rent or you lose your right to 30 days notice and they can start the eviction process.

Call your county tax assessor's office or look online to find out who owns the building. The address should be listed in contact info for the building's owner. Send them a certified letter indicating that your lease has expired so, unless you hear otherwise, you are now a month to month tenant. Don't mention rent or increase; just continue to pay the same rent. This is to CYA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting