Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:29 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Beware those “administrative fees.”
I agree. I have decided to begin looking for another apartment. There are just too many unknowns in this scenario.

This may be a new trend, though, and I might see it in other nearby communities. But I need to start looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 12:12 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Where do you think the money is coming from right now to pay the common area utilities?
From OP's rent.

I'd be frustrated too, because they aren't likely to be offering a rent reduction in return for tenant's shouldering the cost. And, it's not customarily something that tenants pay in addition to rent, at least nowhere that I've heard of.

Furthermore, are they basing the cost on total units, or total occupied units? If it's a flat "divide by the number of bedrooms in the complex" that's different than "divide by the number of tenants."

Old 04-24-2020, 12:59 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Also, what happens if some tenants no longer pay their rent? Do the paying renters now shoulder a greater portion of the costs?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
From OP's rent.

I'd be frustrated too, because they aren't likely to be offering a rent reduction in return for tenant's shouldering the cost. And, it's not customarily something that tenants pay in addition to rent, at least nowhere that I've heard of.

Furthermore, are they basing the cost on total units, or total occupied units? If it's a flat "divide by the number of bedrooms in the complex" that's different than "divide by the number of tenants."
It is something I had not heard of, either, in my years renting all through my youth and in the past few recent years.

I will see as I begin my apartment search how prevalent it has become.

I do not know how this will be calculated, I did not understand her nebulous explanation.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Also, what happens if some tenants no longer pay their rent? Do the paying renters now shoulder a greater portion of the costs?
Good question, I wish I knew the answer. I am awaiting their reply on my inquiries. The actual office is closed to residents due to the virus.

I could call, but I want a record of everything.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 PM

558 posts, read 433,850 times
During the last few months of my apartment lease many years ago, our area had a drought. Water was included in the rent, but when I discussed renewal, I was told that the new lease said tenants would be charged for a portion of the apartment community's water/sewer bill based on number of bedrooms. That included all of the common areas + all of the individual units combined usage since they weren't separately metered.

The part I really didn't like was the spin they put on it. They claimed that they were helping us become good stewards of our natural resources. Lol. I had no control over anyone else's water usage, but I could help pay for it? They were just trying to recover the horrendous water bill surcharges they had suffered. It was also to ensure that they would never have those kinds of unexpected losses again.

I promptly bought a house and moved out at the end of my lease. They could have just upped the rent, and I probably would have paid it.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
During the last few months of my apartment lease many years ago, our area had a drought. Water was included in the rent, but when I discussed renewal, I was told that the new lease said tenants would be charged for a portion of the apartment community's water/sewer bill based on number of bedrooms. That included all of the common areas + all of the individual units combined usage since they weren't separately metered.

The part I really didn't like was the spin they put on it. They claimed that they were helping us become good stewards of our natural resources. Lol. I had no control over anyone else's water usage, but I could help pay for it? They were just trying to recover the horrendous water bill surcharges they had suffered. It was also to ensure that they would never have those kinds of unexpected losses again.

I promptly bought a house and moved out at the end of my lease. They could have just upped the rent, and I probably would have paid it.
How high was your bill when they started tacking on the extra water usage?

I agree, if it was just a slight rent increase, I would have signed the renewal already.

But two water bills each month....I can't live with that.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The real problem with it is that over the next six months, as more and more people leave the complex and aren't replaced,
WHATEVER the costs might be will be getting divided by an ever declining number of remaining and paying tenants.
But then except for maybe outdoor lighting, the usage would go down, so the CAU should be less.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
But then except for maybe outdoor lighting, the usage would go down, so the CAU should be less.
Occupancy here is usually high. It is a popular metro area. There wouldn't be many unoccupied units.

From the investors website:

"We are one of the country’s most active multifamily investors. We manage a $9.6B portfolio of 42,883 units across prime locations throughout the Western and Eastern United States."

Then pay your own d*mn water bill. I pay mine.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:54 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
You have to check on what is legal in your state. In my state, I don't think that this can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting