Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 01:55 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times

Advertisements

What happens in a situation where there are two roommates who want each other to move out and replaced with a new one? Does the landlord have to decide who gets to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 02:19 PM

23,290 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What happens in a situation where there are two roommates who want each other to move out and replaced with a new one? Does the landlord have to decide who gets to stay?
A LL isn't going to want to play referee for some petty interpersonal squabble. Might depend on who is actually renting from whom. Are either of the roommates subleasing or are they on the lease? Why does each want their roommate to leave? Careful, if they can't solve their differences the LL could ask BOTH of them to vacate because neither of them is worth the hassle.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:25 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
If I were the LL in that situation, and the lease were not yet up, I'd just expect them to finish the lease. If they were to approach me saying one wants out, and the other has a new qualified roommate, and wants to sign a new lease, I probably would. If they approached me, each saying they wanted the other out, and each wanted to sign a new lease, with their own choice of new roommate, if they were all qualified and I had an additional unit open, I'd offer the new unit, too. If they wanted me to solve their problem by choosing one, I'd just tell them to keep paying the rent, and notify me whether or not they wanted to renew the lease according to the lease terms when it comes time. I would not try to mediate, or choose. What do I care? I just want the rent paid.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
As a LL I learned NOT to get involved. I simply tell people figure out who stays and who goes. It’s not my tragedy. I no longer get involved in tenant squabbles. I’m not their mommy

Old 05-01-2020, 08:36 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Many years ago, I was in a similar situation, I had a room-mate who was consistently late paying her portion of the rent and that's on top of the drug parties she had whenever I went away on weekends. I was so stunned when I found out about her using, she was just someone I never would have suspected of such a thing at least then I figured out where all her monies were going. I was really naive about some things back then.

I only found out about here late payments through the landlord, who was very accommodating for me as I always made up the difference when the LL let me know. I would eventually recoup the RR portion. The LL did want the other tenant out, but, as long as the rent was paid at least I was good. I was told if she stayed on when it comes time to renew the lease, she had to go. Surprisingly, the LL let me renew as sole tenant even though my income only slightly went up slightly.

I have to say though, I wouldn't involve the LL other than if the your mate wasn't carrying their part of the deal and see if the LL would be okay with either one replacing the other with a new room-mate. It's not the LL problem to solve such issues. Personally, I was always lucky that my LL saw I was a responsible tenant and were always accommodating for whatever situation I was in.

Good luck in resolving the matter.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:44 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
If one roommate's name is on the lease, he stays. If both roommates' names are on the lease, simply flip a coin. Winner stays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting