Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 07:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not going to say that they're "Getting what they deserve," because no one deserves to be scammed/hoaxed/defrauded.

All that being said...does it not seem to you that the VRBO/ABNB's occupy a weird sort of loophole between residential landlording and Inn-keeping?

If you're going to have your cake and eat it too, you take the chance that it spoils.

I enjoy Air BNB's, and stayed in one this past weekend. But if they don't like playing by the rules of a residential landlord, then perhaps they should abide by the many requirements that are placed upon hotels, motels, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good luck with that during these covid times.
It’s not an eviction, it’s trespassing and they are still enforcing trespassing laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 08:27 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It’s not an eviction, it’s trespassing and they are still enforcing trespassing laws.
I wonder.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodluckwiththat View Post
Squatters? I'd hire some home invaders and have them kidnapped and held for ransom for the cost of the rent they owe me plus the cost of the hitmen. If they don't pay, they go in a hole in the ground.

That must be some expensive rent to risk going to prison for life.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Titere View Post
Wonder what? If the law still stands? Or are you just hoping to hype some fear somewhere without any basis in fact?
I wonder if states are treating otherwise homeless people who want to overstay their Airbnb as trespassers.

Moreover, stating that the "law still stands" as if its some national edict is simplistic. This is a state by state approach. It would not surprise me if the law would screw over some homeowners as kicking out an otherwise homeless person even in a short term rental would seem to go against the spirit of the reason behind many an eviction moratorium to begin with. Hence, my wondering post.

Thus, in Washington State, for instance, it appears as if short term rentals are protected against "eviction":

Quote:
In addition to the seven-week extension, a number of new measures designed to protect more tenants were introduced. The adjustment includes a ban on residential rent increases during the public-health emergency. Those in transitional housing, such as motels and Airbnb’s, public camping grounds and mobile-home owners on leased lots, will now also be covered under the extended eviction moratorium.
https://www.connect.media/washington...ercial-assets/

In Washington State--and true for every state I've come across--transient or transitional housing refers to temporary lodging for a period of less than 30 days: https://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermi...Accommodations

All of this is to say that people shouldn't be speaking on things as fact if they don't know what they are talking about. People shouldn't be giving a potentially false sense of security based on ignorance.

Thus, I reiterate my warning to Airbnb and other short-term accommodation providers.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I wonder.
You wonder what? How about your call your local police dept and ask?

Old 05-07-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I wonder if states are treating otherwise homeless people who want to overstay their Airbnb as trespassers.

Moreover, stating that the "law still stands" as if its some national edict is simplistic. This is a state by state approach. It would not surprise me if the law would screw over some homeowners as kicking out an otherwise homeless person even in a short term rental would seem to go against the spirit of the reason behind many an eviction moratorium to begin with. Hence, my wondering post.

Thus, in Washington State, for instance, it appears as if short term rentals are protected against "eviction":

https://www.connect.media/washington...ercial-assets/

In Washington State--and true for every state I've come across--transient or transitional housing refers to temporary lodging for a period of less than 30 days: https://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermi...Accommodations

All of this is to say that people shouldn't be speaking on things as fact if they don't know what they are talking about. People shouldn't be giving a potentially false sense of security based on ignorance.

Thus, I reiterate my warning to Airbnb and other short-term accommodation providers.

No different than staying at a hotel and not paying.. the police will remove you.

I agree, people should stop saying that Airbnb’s are equal to annual rentals who a landlord, tenant and LEASE.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No different than staying at a hotel and not paying.. the police will remove you.

I agree, people should stop saying that Airbnb’s are equal to annual rentals who a landlord, tenant and LEASE.
Very different than staying at a hotel and not paying. At least as compared to traditional times. And at least in Washington State, which explicitly added transient housing (less than 30 days, which covers hotels and condominiums) to include Airbnb in its covid no-eviction order. The less than 30 days language is key as Airbnbs and other short-term rentals that lasted for longer than 30 days would have already been covered regardless given that certain rights generally vest after 30 days of living in a place.

Stating that the police will remove you is apparently not universally true per the Washington State example; police follow the law, and executive orders have the force of law, to include executive orders on evictions during this pandemic. And I question how widespread such is true during these covid no-eviction orders as a general matter.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You wonder what? How about your call your local police dept and ask?
That's the thing. Are you making broad statements of the applicability of the law during these times based on how things are where you are? That is a mistake, if so. There is no one national policy, and the Washington State rule bears this out. What is true where you are isn't inherently true elsewhere.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Just so I'm clear: are you of the mindset that long-term (30 days or more) Airbnb and other short-term rentals without a LEASE would not be covered by these no-eviction notices either for the pure fact that there is no annual lease?

Old 05-07-2020, 02:01 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Agree. LL-Airbnb need to be extra vigilant, especially in areas that are touristy but without tourists. Currently Seattle and LV would easily fit this description.
DS has pulled his residence out of Airbnb for 2020. Just not worth the risk. Airbnb income was his vacation money, he's not taking extended or spendy trips this year. Plus his GF moved in with him (GF still has her own place for another 8 months).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting