Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:32 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think in my old complex, people wouldn’t have minded because it presumably wouldn’t have eaten your quarters 1/3 of the time.
You're moving the goalposts with an entirely different complaint.

But on THAT point... why would you tolerate the situation?
Or was the rent low enough that you just wrote it off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 02:52 PM

23,305 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Fan View Post
You know that you can go to a bank and get rolls of quarters, right?
How dare you expose the obvious, rational solution to this first world problem!

OP you know you need quarters for this routine recurring event. It isn't a surprise. Plan ahead! You probably know how many loads of wash you tend to do each week and what that will cost. Start off with a roll of quarters and replace it before it runs out. Whenever you get quarters in change, put them aside so you don't spend them on something else.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-19-2020 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 03:38 PM

828 posts, read 416,168 times
Yes if only there was a place that handled money.
That had a place you could drive up to.
And had a window separating you from the teller. And a box that would slide out so you could get your quarters without even leaving your car.

If you find this place you may wish to notify your friends if they are tenants of this wonderful discovery.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:04 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I always ended up going to the laundromat on base and getting $20 worth of quarters from their machines at a time when I lived in Honolulu; my building has coin operated washers and dryers ($1 to wash, $1 to dry).

I don't know if I'd trust my building to have a credit card enabled washer/dryer, especially as I doubt that folks would be monitoring it regularly. I'd fear fraud and identify/password theft by people (residents or otherwise) up to no good.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:40 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I been scrambling around for 6 days trying to come up with quarters to use so I can do laundry which is $2.25. Plus most stores dont want to give you quarters so you have to buy something that will give you change back and hope a few quarters are included. Especially when its 2 or 3 loads. I mean just think about how many quarters that is?
Be careful what you wish for, laundry mat machines that take credit cards are notorious for skimmers, especially if there isn’t an on-site attendant. I would imagine that machines in a rental complex would have the same issue. Your best bet is to exchange dollars for quarters at a bank, that’s what I used to do once a month back in the day. As a bonus it helped with budgeting for my laundry.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:34 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Most new ones have them. But, the machines last a long time, so it may be a decade or two before they have to replace them.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:18 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Be careful what you wish for, laundry mat machines that take credit cards are notorious for skimmers, especially if there isn’t an on-site attendant. I would imagine that machines in a rental complex would have the same issue. Your best bet is to exchange dollars for quarters at a bank, that’s what I used to do once a month back in the day. As a bonus it helped with budgeting for my laundry.
Yeah I think that is what I will do next week. Walk to the bank

Old 05-20-2020, 07:09 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You don't have to buy anything at the grocery store and hope for quarters in the change. If you go to the service desk, they will sell you a roll of quarters.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 05-20-2020 at 07:25 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 07:23 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You don't have to buy anything at te grocery store and hope for quarters in the change. If you go to the service desk, they will sell you a roll of quarters.
I do my food shopping at Traders Joes and not sure if they have a service desk

Old 05-20-2020, 08:21 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
I always got rolls of quarters at the bank. Tried to have a spare one on hand just for washing clothes.
Using a debit card system the apartment complex or whoever owns the machines (might be a outside vendor) would have fees associated with using a debit card/cc system. You would see the price for washing go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting