Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 AM

860 posts, read 1,335,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The op doesn’t need an excuse, they need a backbone.
Eh, nothing wrong with being a nice person or seeking advice. Nothing wrong with giving advice different from the “grow a backbone” mainstream advice on this thread either. We all have different approaches to situations; if we didn’t, “advice” would not be a word in our vocabulary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 06:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,992,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Eh, nothing wrong with being a nice person or seeking advice. Nothing wrong with giving advice different from the “grow a backbone” mainstream advice on this thread either. We all have different approaches to situations; if we didn’t, “advice” would not be a word in our vocabulary.
No one said for them to be mean and nasty, but she needs to have a backbone and not cower to her tenants. This is a business relationship after all

Old 05-20-2020, 06:57 AM

779 posts, read 423,412 times
Assertiveness is the word that comes to mind. Being firm in your position, making your intentions known, but still being polite. If a tenant gets their feelings hurt by you saying "I'm sorry but at this time I'm only willing to do a 1yr lease" that is on them, not you.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:10 AM

29 posts, read 13,919 times
I appreciate the responses. To the poster that said that they can't afford $50 a month but they can afford to move, I think that they could really afford the extra $50 a month but I am willing to be nice about that part to push off a raise 6 months cuz of the pandemic. I got a laugh out of the poster that said I may as well give a 2 year lease cuz if I have trouble saying no to a 2 year lease then I would have trouble kicking them out in a year, unfortunately, this is probably true. I don't deal well with change, it would be nice to expand our living space to include the renters floor but there is a lot of money coming in so it is a big change. I appreciate all the ideas of wording, so far I got an e-mail request 2 days ago and haven't responded to the request yet!

Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM

8,140 posts, read 8,326,549 times
Just Provide them a lease renewal document with options (examples). Tell them these are the situations you can work with, please indicate their choice, sign and return by XXXX date

1. New 2-year lease starting now at $50 more a month, and another $75 increase on next year anniversary

2. New 1 year lease starting in January at $75 more a month

3. New 60 day to 60 day lease starting (With either tenant or owner option to terminate w/60 days notice) now at $100 month incr with guaranteed no increase for 18 months

Old 05-21-2020, 06:57 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,519,513 times
I would say since we've agreed not to have a monthly fee increase now- when an increase would normally happen- I am only willing to do a one year lease with an increase to X$/month beginning on month 7.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:15 PM

22,304 posts, read 29,384,171 times
Sorry but No

Old 05-21-2020, 08:03 PM

10,340 posts, read 8,549,433 times
Sorry to say, but the OP is a future poster here on CD saying how owning rentals is a nightmare and they would never do it again. See it all the time here on CD. A lot of the problem is the landlord is a pushover and shouldn't be a landlord to start with.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:20 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,736,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonlandlord View Post
I have had my current tenants for 2 years and we are going to sign a new lease now, they requested that I not raise their rent until mid year (Jan 2021) due to the pandemic and I said ok to that. Now they are asking for a 2 year lease instead of a 1 year lease and I really want the flexibility of potentially asking them to leave after a year if we want to expand the space that we occupy in the house as our kids get older (we live on one floor, they live on another) and possibly the ability to raise their rent in 1 year considering that we are not raising until January. Please help me formulate a "no" response, I don't want to upset them or make then think that they will have to move in a year, it is possible that they will live here another 10 years, who knows.
Just say you don't do two year leases and write a lease for one year stating that until December due to Their request because of corona-virus you will keep the rent the same and in January 2021 they are to pay the new amount.

If you want them to stay 10 years lower the rent and do a 10 year lease.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:17 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,669,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonlandlord View Post
I appreciate the responses. To the poster that said that they can't afford $50 a month but they can afford to move, I think that they could really afford the extra $50 a month but I am willing to be nice about that part to push off a raise 6 months cuz of the pandemic. I got a laugh out of the poster that said I may as well give a 2 year lease cuz if I have trouble saying no to a 2 year lease then I would have trouble kicking them out in a year, unfortunately, this is probably true. I don't deal well with change, it would be nice to expand our living space to include the renters floor but there is a lot of money coming in so it is a big change. I appreciate all the ideas of wording, so far I got an e-mail request 2 days ago and haven't responded to the request yet!
You really don’t know what your taxes and insurance and water and trash and maintenance will cost in a year - because of the same pandemic that’s interfering with the tenant’s ability to agree to an increase this year.

Most every state & city government is seeing huge revenue shortfalls & property owners (you) are the primary goose that lays the revenue egg when nobody else will. Your trash and water could go up because your neighbors stop paying.. the maintenance guy you get a decent deal from may go out of business. What seems like a “lot of money” for rent can become “not enough money” for rent pretty quickly when prices and expenses strike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting