Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 08:40 AM

29 posts, read 13,956 times

Advertisements

I have had my current tenants for 2 years and we are going to sign a new lease now, they requested that I not raise their rent until mid year (Jan 2021) due to the pandemic and I said ok to that. Now they are asking for a 2 year lease instead of a 1 year lease and I really want the flexibility of potentially asking them to leave after a year if we want to expand the space that we occupy in the house as our kids get older (we live on one floor, they live on another) and possibly the ability to raise their rent in 1 year considering that we are not raising until January. Please help me formulate a "no" response, I don't want to upset them or make then think that they will have to move in a year, it is possible that they will live here another 10 years, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Just say no. Your state might not allow it anyway.. but what’s so difficult about saying no??

Old 05-19-2020, 08:59 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Please help me formulate a "no" response,

"No."

Quote:
I don't want to upset them

Best laugh I've had all day.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:07 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonlandlord View Post
Please help me formulate a "no" response, .
As others have said, it is as simple as "no". You don't need to expand. But, if you feel you have to, then "no, I am only comfortable with a 1 year lease" is all you need to say.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:12 PM

29 posts, read 13,956 times
I'm glad someone got a laugh The tenant is very sensitive and if I am too abrupt with a "no" then I actually think she would get insulted and consider moving. can someone help me soften the wording? their first lease when they moved in was for 2 years (just btw).

Old 05-19-2020, 12:18 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
IF you Cant say NO then I suggest you Sell get out of the Rental Business.

How is that for soft?

Old 05-19-2020, 12:43 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
can someone help me soften the wording? .
"Lovely day, eh? I'm sorry, but no."

Old 05-19-2020, 01:58 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
I'm glad someone got a laugh The tenant is very sensitive and if I am too abrupt with a "no" then I actually think she would get insulted and consider moving. can someone help me soften the wording? their first lease when they moved in was for 2 years (just btw).
You do realize you’re running a business and not a charity, right?? It sounds like you’re afraid of your tenant and that’s just plain silly. So what if she moved? Find a new tenant and move on.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:26 PM

23,305 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Why not give them part of the same explanation you gave us? The possibility that you'd want to expand your living space for growing kids or need to cover increasing costs of property ownership sounded pretty reasonable to me. You don't "owe" them indefinite certainty. You "owe" them a responsibly managed, safe place to live in exchange for rent. No one should expect a landowner to swallow ownership costs on their behalf indefinitely. You've already agreed to postpone a rent increase once. If they are so sensitive the truth would insult them they have problems you can't solve. Let them push...it may be all this is. No reason you can't politely push back. If they go off in a huff maybe you've dodged a bullet. Better than having to evict them when they refuse to pay more during the next renewal negotiation.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-19-2020 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-19-2020, 03:21 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:

You might have said that at the getgo. It's harder to say no when you have already set a precedent.

But now that we know that here's your answer:

"For a two year lease I'll have to increase the rent another $xxx. If you want no rent increase it's a one year lease."

By the way, I think this tenant is walking all over you. First they get you to agree to no rent increase then sandbag you with the two year thing. This "sensitive" tenant is cagey and opportunistic and certainly smarter than you if you can't stand up to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting