Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 03:41 AM

15 posts, read 12,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The AC in the summer time drowns most noises out during sleep hours
The AC is like white noise, it won't help with structural noise that vibrates the concrete structure of a building, will only help with air born noise. It may help mask flushing the toilet but wont be any help with stomping, furniture moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 03:52 AM

15 posts, read 12,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I live in a concrete building and I hear the upstairs people flush their toilet, it’s like a power flush type of toilet. Very loud.
Agreed. Isn't it nice especially if flushing the toilet is followed by the sound of slamming the door.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:37 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I didn't think police would respond to something like that right now with all the other stuff going on
Where does the OP live that the police respond to nuisance calls? Lately in the larger cities, the police are not even responding to car accidents without injury. They certainly would decline a call for a civil dispute like noise.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
The thing many are not considering is, the neighbor has the right to live a normal life, and if the building is so poorly built, you can hear people walking across the room, toilets flushing, etc., it is not the neighbors fault, it is you live in such a crappy building, their sound gets magnified and irritates the neighbors.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:51 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Where does the OP live that the police respond to nuisance calls? Lately in the larger cities, the police are not even responding to car accidents without injury. They certainly would decline a call for a civil dispute like noise.

I think a loud party maybe but definitely not apartment noise

Old 12-13-2020, 01:24 AM

13 posts, read 9,124 times
As someone who is experiencing a noisy neighbor who constantly stomps and sounds of furniture dropping 24/7 it might not be them as much as the building is old and insulation probably sucks

I understand where you’re coming from but you can’t expect them just to alter their schedule and appease you, that said you’re not alone. I’ve talked to the property manager and they granted me a third floor transfer when one opens but it seems like it’s going to take forever

All I can say is I hope you can find a way to cope, try turning up a radio or TV during the day or try earplugs like I do although when the walls vibrate and I can feel it in my bones it doesn’t really help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, you can want it, but it's not reasonable. Sometimes the person living above or beside you has to get up and do something, like feed the baby or the cat, or get dressed early for work. They might drop a shoe on the floor or a spoon or can opener. People are entitled to do other things in their own apartment besides just breathing. Geesh, I lived in an old end-unit millworkers house once where my bedroom was adjacent to the neighbors' bedroom. The soundproofing between the units was so bad that I could hear him snoring. There was no point in complaining, but I did break my lease early and buy a SFH. Problem solved.
I have a really dumb question and I realize it’s different everywhere but how much did it cost you to break your lease?

Old 12-13-2020, 05:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_Phil View Post
As someone who is experiencing a noisy neighbor who constantly stomps and sounds of furniture dropping 24/7 it might not be them as much as the building is old and insulation probably sucks

I understand where you’re coming from but you can’t expect them just to alter their schedule and appease you, that said you’re not alone. I’ve talked to the property manager and they granted me a third floor transfer when one opens but it seems like it’s going to take forever

All I can say is I hope you can find a way to cope, try turning up a radio or TV during the day or try earplugs like I do although when the walls vibrate and I can feel it in my bones it doesn’t really help

I have a really dumb question and I realize it’s different everywhere but how much did it cost you to break your lease?
It’s not a dumb question, but it can be answered by reading your lease and/or state landlord tenant laws and of course, by talking to your landlord. The norm is usually two months rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting