Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 10,177 times

Advertisements

I am in Georgia. I am having difficulty determining the entity to file a small claims against.

In order to file a small claim against them, I need their registered agent name and address.

The name on my lease is "HOLCOMB BRIDGE GA PARTNERS LLC."

I checked the Georgia Corporations division for this name:
https://ecorp.sos.ga.gov/BusinessSea...romSearch=True

The parent company is "Cortland," but for some reason they are using this foreign LLC.

1. Do I file the claim against the registered agent name and location?

Registered Agent Name: Corporation Service Company
Physical Address: 40 Technology Pkwy South, #300, Norcross, GA, 30092, USA

2. For those familiar with the process in Georgia, it looks like I need to file a claim and summons.

It looks like I can eFile?

http://www.magistratefulton.org/215/Small-Claims

Do I need to file a separate statement of claim and summons or is this in lieu of?

Very confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 10:42 AM

I called the GA state Corporations Division and they said to use the Registered Agent name/address. The information would be forwarded to the foreign entity.

I am still not sure whether the eFile process works in lieu of the paper statement of claims and summon forms.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:01 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
You sue whoever the entity you signed the lease with is named on the lease. There should be a address that is on the lease to mail payments. The mailing address should be registered in your state

They are using a LLC because this way their liability and your claim stops at the LLC. I’m betting the LLC has absolutely no money to get in case you win. Its most likely leveraged close to or at 100% of the LLCs asset value. So suing them will most likely get you nothing or very little.
The reason companies put assets like that in LLCs is to limit their liability in case they get sued.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You sue whoever the entity you signed the lease with is named on the lease. There should be a address that is on the lease to mail payments. The mailing address should be registered in your state

They are using a LLC because this way their liability and your claim stops at the LLC. I’m betting the LLC has absolutely no money to get in case you win. Its most likely leveraged close to or at 100% of the LLCs asset value. So suing them will most likely get you nothing or very little.
The reason companies put assets like that in LLCs is to limit their liability in case they get sued.
Hmm... I am glad you responded. The amount is limited (<$1k). The company markets themselves as "Cortland." Based on what you said, I looked in the lease and found this (please see attached):

This lease contract is between you the resident and us the owner:
HOLCOMB BRIDGE GA PARTNERS LLC

Name and address of the company authorized to receive notices or lawsuits:

Cortland Partners - 3424
Peachtree Rd. NE, Suite 300, Atlanta, GA

Does this change anything?

There was a similar case where someone was trying to sue Orbitz, who also hides behind LLCs:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/s...n-2943886.html
Attached Thumbnails
Help finding name of landlord in my state-page1_lease.png   Help finding name of landlord in my state-page8_lease.png  

Last edited by AtlantaTrafficSucks; 06-15-2020 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 01:29 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
You are going to spend a couple hundred bucks chasing less than $1k and even if you win it's going to take a couple hundred more to MAYBE collect. It sucks and they should pay what they owe but you gotta ask yourself if throwing good money at it is worth it in the long run. If it were me I'd probably chase it but I've got nothing better to do with my time.

As for your question you sue the named parties and you serve them at the address they have you, that's kind of the entire point.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaTrafficSucks View Post
Hmm... I am glad you responded. The amount is limited (<$1k). The company markets themselves as "Cortland." Based on what you said, I looked in the lease and found this (please see attached):

This lease contract is between you the resident and us the owner:

Name and address of the company authorized to receive notices or lawsuits:

Cortland Partners - 3424

Does this change anything?

There was a similar case where someone was trying to sue Orbitz, who also hides behind LLCs:

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/s...n-2943886.html
You sue Holcomb as they are the people you signed the contract. You send the notice to whatever address was provided in your lease.

$1000? What damaged you to the cost of $1000? This is a small claims case.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:20 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I don't know why you are suing your LL in small claims, but if you have a legitimate claim, such as failure to return or give an accounting of your security deposit within the specified time frame, and you win, you can put a lien on the property, and include all your legal expenses to do so. Make sure that you ask for a high rate of interest in court on unpaid claims, because that way the lien can also include the interest. You'll get paid - someday he'll want to refinance or sell, and you'll get paid. Only way then you wouldn't get paid is if he were to let it go to foreclosure, and since real estate prices are rising, and the percentage of the value that can be financed is now probably less than 75%, unlikely that it would go to foreclosure.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:06 AM

828 posts, read 416,009 times
You could state your case here and we could tell you your chances at least.

You question.

I would file as

C/O Cortland Partners - 3424

Both parties agreed in the lease that is where service would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting