Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 04:42 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times

Advertisements

I had the same problem a few weeks ago I opened the patio door to let Joey out. When I went to let her back in to Living Room was coated with flies! They refuse to go back out Not one! Got Joey inside Closed the door then Opened the front door. With in 10 mins No Flies!! Yes they all flew out the front door! Guess my apt was in their flight path... thankfully they were not a herd of Elephants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 02:33 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
You could always do what everyone else does when it is fly season and flies are coming into houses. Keep the windows and doors closed so they can't get in and buy yourself a fly swatter or a can of Raid for the ones who do get in.

If the garbage bins are filthy it is because your neighbors are filthy. Get everyone together and agree to keep all trash in plastic garbage bags and to place the trash into the containers and not onto the ground. It's not really your landlord's job to follow everyone around picking up their trail of garbage.

If you don't have window screens and want to open windows, you can buy little portable expandable window screens that will fit most windows. If you don't have screens and leave the windows open, you are going to get flies in your apartment.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:08 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
It's also possible they can get into your apartment through tiny gaps in your screens or around windows. And I've found that cooking certain foods seems to attract them in that way.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:44 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve19605 View Post
Most seem to think a management problem instead of a tenant problem.

Management problem if there are unsealed openings into the apartment. Where they can get in. But still have to be attracted to a food source. Windows or doors that dont close. Has to be a large gap for flies to get in.

But a large number like she said invasion. Has to be attracted to the apt or come from someplace. Which is from some rotting garbage or food in the apartment. First maggots then they turn into flies. Unless she let them in with doors or windows open.
Cant see how mgt can control that.

All dumpster areas will have flies especially in warm weather. Tenants put rotting food in bags that are not sealed. And they dont make air tight dumpsters anyway.
Cleaning a dumpster area would help but only some. And temporary. Since tenants will come there the next day.

I think she seen improvement because whatever food that rotted had been eaten. No type of spray is going to help much with flies. You would have to spray every surface in apt. And even them EPA does not allow them to make anything that strong anymore.

I think she would have had the same luck chasing them around and trying to hit them with the bottle.

If you want something sort of fun that works. I keep one on my deck.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUG-WARRIOR...72.m2749.l2649

These actually have power and work. The other ones on amazon I have tried are more like kids toys.

And of course you still have the old plug in bug zappers made for outdoors. Just use inside, they do work.
Every backyard had one back in the 80's when they came out. Then they found out they did kill a lot of bugs. But they also attracted many more to your yard.
Many apartments have dumpster/trash rooms with chutes where people put the trash down. If the dumpsters aren’t emptied regularly, there is nowhere to put the trash and the people near the chute are at risk of infestation. The management can control it by emptying the dumpster on a regular schedule so the chute dumpster doesn’t overflow.

I live near the trash room, but thankfully in my community they empty the dumpsters three times a week and they rarely fill up the chute.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:54 PM

828 posts, read 416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Many apartments have dumpster/trash rooms with chutes where people put the trash down. If the dumpsters aren’t emptied regularly, there is nowhere to put the trash and the people near the chute are at risk of infestation. The management can control it by emptying the dumpster on a regular schedule so the chute dumpster doesn’t overflow.

I live near the trash room, but thankfully in my community they empty the dumpsters three times a week and they rarely fill up the chute.
Yes and if people did not have trash then also not a problem.

But people have trash. And dumpsters get emptied on a regular schedule.

Matter of fact most dumpster/trash companies require you to sign a longterm contract and have to have regukar pickups.

And people near a chute are not anymore at risk than most that have to walk to the dumpster open door and empty trash. Actually more trash in a dumpster than a chute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting