Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 04:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfl86 View Post
I left with the balance paid current. But I still had to pay two additional months for having the lease defaulted on. I had 30 days to pay that which was more money than I could come up and it was sent to collection after the 30 days and that's where that debt is today

Whoa!! You apparently have over $11k in cash (as that is what you are proposing giving the new landlord), but you still haven't fully paid your last debt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 05:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You can try it, if a large deposit is legal in your state. In some states, there are legal limits to how much deposit a landlord can accept.

I wouldn't take you because of the eviction, but there are landlords who specialize in tenants who have been evicted. Rent will be high and the apartment won't be very nice, but you would have a place to live.

Quote:
.........So the apartment i want to get is a luxury apt. for 1,600/mo.......

It won't be the luxury apartment that you think you deserve, but it will keep the rain off of your head.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:24 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
A hotel for 2 months and since I'm stayin with a friend and paying his rent for him

Florida's security deposit statute doesn't limit the amount for a security deposit.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

You wouldn't actually be pre-paying rent. Whatever amount you put up as a security deposit would be in addition to the rent you pay every month.

Using your $1600 per month luxury apartment you could put up a $5000 (or any large denomination) security deposit but still have to pay your $1600 per month rent every month on the due date.

Were I still a landlord I would probably go along with that despite your history.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:27 PM

18 posts, read 12,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Whoa!! You apparently have over $11k in cash (as that is what you are proposing giving the new landlord), but you still haven't fully paid your last debt?
Well correct me if I'm wrong but soon as that went to collection it became a moot point since the property already sold the debt i.e they wouldn't see any of that money anyway. Not that it shouldn't be paid but I'm just saying soon as it went to collection whether I paid it or not my old LL would count it as a loss and tell my new LL so. But seriously, tell me if I'm seeing that wrong

Old 07-28-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Florida's security deposit statute doesn't limit the amount for a security deposit.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

You wouldn't actually be pre-paying rent. Whatever amount you put up as a security deposit would be in addition to the rent you pay every month.

Using your $1600 per month luxury apartment you could put up a $5000 (or any large denomination) security deposit but still have to pay your $1600 per month rent every month on the due date.

Were I still a landlord I would probably go along with that despite your history.

THIS is the point that I've been trying to make. Yes, not offering to pay the entire lease upfront because as i said, if i decided to default all unused rent comes back to me. But putting it up as a security deposit and paying my rent as usual from month 1 makes it, in my eyes, to where if they did had to have me put out they have that 11k SD that they can draw any charges off of before they return it i.e they'd be covered. So long as money was the only issue (and not complaints about drugs noise etc.) To me that seems like a square deal with a verifiable income and no other complaints from my previous LL. Thanks for answering adjusterjack

Old 07-28-2020, 05:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Well correct me if I'm wrong but soon as that went to collection it became a moot point since the property already sold the debt i.e they wouldn't see any of that money anyway. Not that it shouldn't be paid but I'm just saying soon as it went to collection whether I paid it or not my old LL would count it as a loss and tell my new LL so. But seriously, tell me if I'm seeing that wrong
The LL sold the debt, but sold it as a loss. So, because of your actions, your LL has lost money. And now you want a new LL to rent to you, recognizing that you don't seem to care that your previous LL got the shaft.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The LL sold the debt, but sold it as a loss. So, because of your actions, your LL has lost money. And now you want a new LL to rent to you, recognizing that you don't seem to care that your previous LL got the shaft.
And I realize that. Why would you trust a random person to not do the same thing to you? That's why I'm saying I'd put the entire lease as a security deposit as a show of good faith and to hopefully put the potential LLs mind at ease in the sense that if i they had to put me out, whether it was the first month or the last, they dont have to worry about going to court to sue for unpaid expenses but could instead just take it out of the security deposit before returning it. Everything else checks out the only issue for them is will i pay? And this way, to me, that question is answered cause the money,all of it, is there in the event that I didnt.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:08 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
So... someone w/an eviction because they couldn't pay their rent just last yr. now wants a luxury apt.??????????? Mind boggling.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:12 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:

You have no idea how collection agencies work then. Collection agencies will take an outstanding debt for zero money. They will only collect 10%-20% of any money the get from the debitor. The rest is sent to the landlord..

Old 07-28-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
You have no idea how collection agencies work then. Collection agencies will take an outstanding debt for zero money. They will only collect 10%-20% of any money the get from the debitor. The rest is sent to the landlord..
Is this true? Because that does change a lot. My understanding is that the DC buys your debt for pennies on the dollar then comes after you for as close to the full amount as possible and pockets the rest. That's the whole point off "writing off" a debt. You want it off your books.

I have to research that. Cause if you're right then it makes a huge difference, scenario wise, to pay that first or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting