Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:00 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,623,644 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! My partner and I are relocating from Virginia to Utah and our furniture is already in transit. We signed the lease and set up utilities last night on the apt we got approved for last week. Today the leasing office sent me an email saying his unemployment benefits are not proof of income and unless I can get a different type of proof of income we cannot move in. You need 2.5 xs the rent to get approved I make over 4 xs with my income alone. He is furloughed and we stated that on the application. They approved us, sent us the lease and we went to make final payment for move in fees after we signed the lease and we get this email today. Is this legal? For the record it is a legit national leasing company that I’ve rented from before. We are in shock and worried!! Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 12:10 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,162,275 times
Why did you even submit the unemployment income data, if your income alone qualified?

Old 08-04-2020, 12:16 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,698,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Hi guys! My partner and I are relocating from Virginia to Utah and our furniture is already in transit. We signed the lease and set up utilities last night on the apt we got approved for last week. Today the leasing office sent me an email saying his unemployment benefits are not proof of income and unless I can get a different type of proof of income we cannot move in. You need 2.5 xs the rent to get approved I make over 4 xs with my income alone. He is furloughed and we stated that on the application. They approved us, sent us the lease and we went to make final payment for move in fees after we signed the lease and we get this email today. Is this legal? For the record it is a legit national leasing company that I’ve rented from before. We are in shock and worried!! Please help.
I am not a lawyer. I did work in the legal field for decades, including a major court system. But I'm still not a lawyer.

No, this is not legal at all. Not if you put down your deposit AND they cashed your check. All your fees need to be returned too. But if they didn't deposit your check(s) -- you are probably in a world of hurt.

Firstly, you don't have time to take them to court and win. (However, I would take them to court to recoup your moving expenses.)

Secondly, you really don't want to live in a place that does not want you.

I know -- I KNOW -- that this is not what you want to hear.

I would be livid and beside myself. I have no idea what you're going to do today. I have no idea what I would do TODAY.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:18 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,962,234 times
Can't you just have the lease in your name since you meet the income requirements? Does your partner have to be on the lease?

Old 08-04-2020, 12:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why did you even submit the unemployment income data, if your income alone qualified?
If they’re not married, each person has to qualify. If they’re married, one income is sufficient.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:24 PM

We are married

Old 08-04-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Because they asked for it

Old 08-04-2020, 12:43 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,698,164 times
Quote:
We are married
Something is really wrong here. Again, if you paid your deposit and they deposited the check and your check cleared -- you have some legal recourse.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:10 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times
Quote:
We are married
Then there shouldn’t be an issue and you need to call them on it. If your income qualifies, then they shouldn’t need his.. tell them he’s a stay at home husband.

Old 08-04-2020, 02:07 PM

6,569 posts, read 8,420,851 times
Did they sign the lease? Do you have a copy of the lease with yours and theirs signature? If so, you have a ratified contract and both parties are held to the terms of that lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting