Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 11:44 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times

Advertisements

I live in a huge complex -- 200+ apartments. Management consists of the manager and assistant manager.

The new manager is the same as the old one: in her late 50s, looks like Barbie, and -- she CANNOT be as dumb as she is. And she hates her tenants. This is just a job, in a beautiful complex, to her.

I've rented almost all my life, and I've NEVER had anyone as bad as she is.

I want to write 'corporate' about her -- the parent company. Should I do it? I'm afraid of being evicted. I can afford to move -- money isn't an issue -- I just don't want to move right now.

ONE example: every time a tenant has a problem (outside of a maintenance issue in our apartments -- but with her, even a small problem can turn into a huge one), the conversation winds up about her and what a great manager she is and how dare I accuse her of not doing a great job. Last year, right after she came aboard, our utility bills went up significantly -- by about 30%. The gas and electric companies had not raised their rates. No new 'common areas' had been built. (Wwe pay for those too -- to heat and cool them -- heat for the pools, etc.) There was absolutely no reason for all of our bills to go up so significantly.

After a few months (and I kept track), I tried talking to her. She tried to tell me that the companies had raised their rates, etc. After I refuted every (false) excuse she offered, she asked me if I wanted to speak to her boss. Her boss is our old manager who hired our new manager. Yeah, just want I want to do -- talk to the old manager. HOWEVER, my point is this: the conversation rapidly because all about her -- and HOW DARE I tell her that she is dishonest (she's not -- not about this -- she can't just raise the bills on her own). I actually up yelling at her -- I yelled at a manager of mine for the first time in 50 years. But she kept interrupting me and interrupting -- and interrupting! I finally yelled at her to shut the H up!!

I AM going to move -- just not now -- not until the virus calms down.

Ok, so do I write Corporate or not? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 12:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
And tell them what? Your 50 year old Barbie manager likes to talk about herself?

Did you have the utility company investigate why your bill is now 30% higher, but your usage hasn’t changed? Have you compared bills from last year to this year? Fuel costs have gone up.

No need to wait for Covid to die down, you’ll be waiting a long time, break your lease and move.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And tell them what? Your 50 year old Barbie manager likes to talk about herself?

Did you have the utility company investigate why your bill is now 30% higher, but your usage hasn’t changed? Have you compared bills from last year to this year? Fuel costs have gone up.

No need to wait for Covid to die down, you’ll be waiting a long time, break your lease and move.
LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOl Thank you for making me laugh. Yes, of course, you're right. But it isn't just that. We had a fire here 2-3 weeks ago. For the first time in the 2 years I've lived here. VERY few residents heard the fire alarm. It wasn't loud at all. Residents told her, later, that they hadn't heard the alarm. She said she'd investigate. Finally, yesterday I called her and asked her what she found out. She said she's still investigating. I told her that I had 'investigated' and found out that the fire alarm could not be turned up. Which is something to think about if you move into a high rise -- no matter how new or old it is. the fire alarm sound cannot be turned up -- well, per my city's Fire Department.

Yes, I've compared the bills for the last 18 months. I did it on Excel and even gave her a copy.

My usage hasn't changed. (Well, I'm sure it has now since I'm home most of the time due to the virus. But this started months before the virus.)

So fuel costs can go up, even when the companies haven't raised their rates? I don't understand. But you don't have to answer -- I won't waste your time. You're right. I'm moving out.

Thank you very much.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
just not now -- not until the virus calms down.
That's the lesson here. Few with any real choice are making big changes at this point.
Quote:
Ok, so do I write Corporate or not? Thanks.
Sure, why not. Just keep it on the conditions vs personality.
Odds are the trollop is dating someone up the ladder.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's the lesson here. Few with any real choice are making big changes at this point.
Sure, why not. Just keep it on the conditions vs personality.
Odds are the trollop is dating someone up the ladder.
I am probably going to write a letter about the fire alarm -- but, even then, this complex is 60 years ago. There has never been a major fire or death by fire/smoke inhalation. Yet, the building is getting older -- we have a lot of water pipe problems -- so we could have a big fire.

ANYWAY -- thank you responding. And I'm going to find another place to live. She really is impossible. I didn't write about EVERYTHING she's done -- and not done. Not worth it. I just needed to 'vent' and get some rational feedback -- and I did, from both you and Kim.

Thank you.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:09 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
........ This is just a job, in a beautiful complex, to her...........

And what do you think her "job" is supposed to be to her? She is supposed to be a den mother or a substitute for your own mother? Of course her job is just a job to her. That's because it is her job.

Your power bill is not under her control so she is not the one to complain to about your power bill. Not even if she looks like Barbie, which really doesn't have a thing to do with anything at all, unless your real complaint is that you have the hots for her and she won't reciprocate.

Call your utility company about your power bill.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And what do you think her "job" is supposed to be to her? She is supposed to be a den mother or a substitute for your own mother? Of course her job is just a job to her. That's because it is her job.

Your power bill is not under her control so she is not the one to complain to about your power bill. Not even if she looks like Barbie, which really doesn't have a thing to do with anything at all, unless your real complaint is that you have the hots for her and she won't reciprocate.

Call your utility company about your power bill.
The utility bill comes THRU corporate and then thru her. At corporate, they divide up the heat/elec for the "common areas" among the tenants.

And you're pretty disgusting.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
LLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOl Thank you for making me laugh. Yes, of course, you're right. But it isn't just that. We had a fire here 2-3 weeks ago. For the first time in the 2 years I've lived here. VERY few residents heard the fire alarm. It wasn't loud at all. Residents told her, later, that they hadn't heard the alarm. She said she'd investigate. Finally, yesterday I called her and asked her what she found out. She said she's still investigating. I told her that I had 'investigated' and found out that the fire alarm could not be turned up. Which is something to think about if you move into a high rise -- no matter how new or old it is. the fire alarm sound cannot be turned up -- well, per my city's Fire Department.

Yes, I've compared the bills for the last 18 months. I did it on Excel and even gave her a copy.

My usage hasn't changed. (Well, I'm sure it has now since I'm home most of the time due to the virus. But this started months before the virus.)

So fuel costs can go up, even when the companies haven't raised their rates? I don't understand. But you don't have to answer -- I won't waste your time. You're right. I'm moving out.

Thank you very much.
For the fire alarm call your local fire marshal and tell them what you told us. You should be able to hear the alarm and the FM will investigate it.

Explain your bills to me... do you have separate meters with the bills coming directly to you or does your complex bill you?

You are not wasting anyone’s time here... so share away. I think moving is your best option here.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
As someone who had this exact problem with our local manager for the condos. I was met with a 'yeah nice try lady. It's in your lease. We can bill however we wish. You owe what we bill you'.
So I contacted our state utility commission. They said, this is a lease issue. They only control the suppliers of the utilities.

None of the condo members wanted to open Pandora's box on this little money maker the management is making off the residences.

The main management Corp really has no reason to listen to you. Save your breath. Exiting will be your final voice .do it soon.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
For the fire alarm call your local fire marshal and tell them what you told us. You should be able to hear the alarm and the FM will investigate it.

Explain your bills to me... do you have separate meters with the bills coming directly to you or does your complex bill you?

You are not wasting anyone’s time here... so share away. I think moving is your best option here.
We have separate meters -- not too sure how that works. Because the meter units are in a running box on the side of our front doors.

Our complex bills us.

There IS something shady going on. But we all know that we can't prove it.

And thank you. I'm still moving out tough.

I'm sure I'm in a bind because my ex-BF's oldest son -- his funeral is today. Died from the same brain cancer as John McCain. My poor ex has been trying so hard to hold it together -- he's a Marine -- but he's not doing a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting