Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 04:59 PM

208 posts, read 100,030 times

Advertisements

A building loses heat and coolness through the walls to the outside. In a house you have 5 sides to lose heat and coldness thru. In an apt like mine, I have only one side exposed to the outside. I have a common hallway on one side, and other apts on the other sides. So even if I don't turn on my Heating/cooling systems, I can basically not lose much due to everything outside my walls being in the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 05:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie View Post
A building loses heat and coolness through the walls to the outside. In a house you have 5 sides to lose heat and coldness thru. In an apt like mine, I have only one side exposed to the outside. I have a common hallway on one side, and other apts on the other sides. So even if I don't turn on my Heating/cooling systems, I can basically not lose much due to everything outside my walls being in the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXA338ro1mo

Old 08-11-2020, 06:35 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
All of which will be a moot point for you once you move into that house with rooms you don't know what to do with!

Old 08-11-2020, 08:52 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:

Congratulations. You've discovered one way of justifying apartment living.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:04 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:

And watermelons are bigger than blueberries. Your point?

Old 08-12-2020, 05:27 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Congratulations. You've discovered one way of justifying apartment living.
Except this isn’t always the case. Apartment complexes don’t always update or maintain their HVAC units, so you can end up with wildly inefficient systems. In a home, you can update/maintain it as you see fit. I just moved out of an apartment in Chicagoland that was ridiculously expensive to heat/cool because it had inefficient windows, had an HVAC that was not maintained at all, and appears to be from when the building was built in the late ‘80s/early ‘90s. I spent more to heat/cool the apartment as my parents in Florida spent to heat/cool a place twice the size, with walls of windows and an electric water heater. It did an awful job dehumidifying, so I had to use a dehumidifier most of the time. FWIW, I was living in a downstairs, interior unit, so it should not have cost that much to cool the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting