Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 07:34 AM

118 posts, read 66,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'll up you one. The only house I ever rented out the second tenants removed the ceiling fans and cut the original 1950's phone off the kitchen wall. I'm just glad they didn't steal the washer and dryer, but they probably couldn't afford a vehicle large enough to move them.
WTF is wrong with people?!!!!!

These losers left the house spotless thank god, and my poor gorgeous once glorious garden a disaster of weeds. BUT I DO COUNT my lucky stars- it could have been WAY worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 10:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,041,042 times
count yourself lucky when they return the house to you relatively undamaged.

Paint is cheap. weeds are easy to kill.

it could have been worse.

They skipped out before they could have an eviction on their record. So onto the next sucker landlord

If they purposely did not pay you, be sure to get it onto their record as a judgment.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
count yourself lucky when they return the house to you relatively undamaged.

Paint is cheap. weeds are easy to kill.

it could have been worse.

They skipped out before they could have an eviction on their record. So onto the next sucker landlord

If they purposely did not pay you, be sure to get it onto their record as a judgment.
I actually DID file the eviction and it does already come up. Only thing is that its not being enacted, but the filing is there already. I will not let them sucker anyone else. The Civil Suit also comes up if you look them up in our state :-)

whoever they rented from before didnt follow thru, I plan on it so that its a big red flag for whoever they go to next.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:11 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,286,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'll up you one. The only house I ever rented out the second tenants removed the ceiling fans and cut the original 1950's phone off the kitchen wall. I'm just glad they didn't steal the washer and dryer, but they probably couldn't afford a vehicle large enough to move them.
Watch the 1990 movie Paciifc Heights -- you'll never want to be a landlord again

Scared the heck out of me!

Old 09-04-2020, 06:13 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Repaint the walls with a strong primer like Kilz and then repaint with neutral colors.

It’s funny about decorating though. Over 25 years ago I rented an apartment in a so-so building where it was called “tenant ready” but the paint was literally falling off the shower wall, and rough in most other places.

I ended up repainting the whole 2 BR apartment (neutral), wallpapered the living room main wall and replaced the cabinet knobs in the kitchen. All tastefully done.

I stayed there for less than 2 years but when I moved out the building manager was thrilled because it was so much nicer than the other apartments.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:49 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,400,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My experience has been it is a waste of money and time ..they declare bankruptcy and they owe you nothing
Well at least a black mark on their credit score may come back to haunt them...

Old 09-08-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Well at least a black mark on their credit score may come back to haunt them...
And more importantly, they will not stiff another landlord. Whoever rents to them will do so at their own risk and with the knowledge that they were bad tenants.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:08 AM

13,109 posts, read 20,856,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnewbielandlord View Post
And more importantly, they will not stiff another landlord. Whoever rents to them will do so at their own risk and with the knowledge that they were bad tenants.
Just out of curiosity, what criteria did you use to rent to them?

Old 09-09-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just out of curiosity, what criteria did you use to rent to them?
I ran a background check and it came back clean, no evictions or suits, and decent credit rating. Income checked out.

A RED flag which I shouldve paid attention to was that he was never in any one address for more than a year. When I asked he said they just kept looking for a better area (they came from the Newark area)

Lesson Learned

Old 09-09-2020, 05:01 PM

New prospective tenant, Clean Record, good references etc.

Her partner (co-signer) who i also ran background on has an eviction from 2016 (they werent together then). Sadly I'll pass, I dont want to get caught in a bad situation again.....

Am i being fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting